Shaman Spell Batching Exploit

that link has posts from 2008 - hardly concrete vanilla era evidence of it being present

likewise the 2.3 patch note as the bug could have been introduced at any point during TBC

I’m not saying you or any of your evidence isn’t correct but the burden of proof has not been met for direct/concrete evidence from Vanilla WoW itself. This was the standard for any bug report on every private server that I played on and should be the same here as well.

2 Likes

The burden of proof has not been met, for this bug report. There’s no burden of proof for me here; I’m simply providing evidence that it was likely possible during Vanilla and thus not a bug, out of courtesy.

no you provided evidence that a bug was present during TBC…

because the entire thread that you linked had to do with Holy Paladins getting double free healing crits in 2008 during TBC using Divine Favor:

If you’re a Holy Paladin pop Divine Favor, Start casting Holy Light and SPAM Holy Shock, so Holy Shock hits the milisecond after Holy Light does, if done correctly both should Crit, every time, so from one Divine Favor you get double crit !
https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-exploits/134906-exploit.html#post882053

Obviously this bug came to be during TBC as it was fixed not once but twice during Vanilla WoW:

[Patch 1.11.0] (20-Jun-2006): It is no longer possible to cast this immediately after a healing spell and “retroactively” make it a critical hit.

[Patch 1.7.0] (13-Sep-2005): Paladins can no longer activate Divine Favor on the previously cast healing spell.
https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Divine_Favor

1 Like

Okay, now provide evidence that this is a bug. That video someone linked above is disqualified because the Shaman was lagging extraordinarily badly and the delay between his Earth Shock was significant.

1 Like

get in line my friend - we’re still waiting on the Consecration bug report :stuck_out_tongue:

not trying to be a jerk either with that statement as this may well in fact be vanilla era mechanics/behaviour - hence why we write up reports and ask the devs/qa for clarification yea or nea whether something is a bug or not

2 Likes

Except that every shammy that cast it can do it. I’m guessing your trying to make it an argument of skill but that isn’t it either. I remember facing shaman back in the day and they weren’t getting triple crits like they are today. The issue with pally reckoning before wasn’t really with reckoning but with Hand of Justice storing charges which any class could abuse. Also, and no one seems to care about this, is that storing charges is one thing but you should also get an extra hit when you are crit if auto attack is on and the target is within range. This currently isn’t happening on a regular basis and esp in situations when you get crit in rapid succession for instance critted by a fury warrior.

4 Likes

And its not intended to buff two spells. This is a bug/batching issue. Sure it may have occured in vanilla (as the same with 2 warrs charging each other, 2 mages sheeping each other, wsg flags being returned and capped at the same time) but it never happened with the consistency of making it happen today.

It creates an issue and 100% needs to be looked at because of the potential to abuse unintended behaviour.

No the issue was with sit/stand plus stop/start macros and abusing batching forcing it to generate an additional attack - 100% of the time. This did work with a hoj but it wasnt anywhere as powerful as a broken paladins rek due to being a 2% chance to occur not a 100% chance.

I have no doubt that it isnt completly fixed and working as intended - the intention being that the rek talent acts as a counter attack type proc - causing the next swing aftere your current swing to complete its cast instantly.

EG:
X gains reckoning
X swings for y amount (on a 2 sec countdown)
X swings for y amount (on a 0 countdown)

What its supposed to do is save those rek ‘charges - upto a max of 4’ to swing at your current target in the event it cant ‘cast’. Due to players using macro’s to stop their auto attack its supposed to cause all of your charges to drop as backed up be posts from the era confirming its 1.12 behaviour.

3 Likes

It’s an interesting question for both sides of the argument. My main point has always been it was never intended in vanilla and does not fit with the experience that the majority of us had in vanilla. Even if it happened 10% of the time back then, it is now happening near 100% of the time. The tooltip clearly states the next spell cast and not the next two, which is where I am primarily basing my stance on. Also there are much more innocent and inconsequential bugs that have been removed or not added back in because it was “broken” or not intended for vanilla; ie: moonwalking. I am not sure where Blizz draws the line or what there stance is but it would be great to know.

Also thanks to all of you taking time to research this topic deeper, it’s for sure much appreciated.

1 Like

Elemental shaman have basically ruined competitive WSG. There’s no way to counter or mitigate the damage that two of them do. They just come out and delete whichever character they want mid, usually a warrior, and your team loses the first engagement. It’s beyond stupid.

1 Like

Could you imagine the QQ if hunters were doing this? It would get nerfed instantly.

Bump.

While hilarious, is this going to be addressed?

Yeah, during TBC when it was originally addressed.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that at 12% crit (avg I would say), there is less than a 2% chance you get two crits in a row

1 Like

You ever hear of a shatter combo? Frostbolt/ice lance both hitting at the same time while a target is novad/deep freezes? Things like this have existed well after vanilla.

2 Likes

Once again the point of this is not just that it existed in Vanilla. They “fixed” things already that existed throughout original Vanilla’s lifespan because they were not working as intended. If this is the case I believe they should do the same with any spell/ability that falls under this category. The intended function if you actually read the tooltip is to be only the next spell. So in my mind that deserves fixing. I’m pretty sure they would fix a talent that gave 10% extra critical strike when the tooltip specified it should only give 5% extra critical strike.

I’ve found some respect for your posts over the last several months, Williams, but you’re 100% wrong here.

Shadowbolt is a missile/projectile that takes time to hit its target; shadowburn is instant.

Shadowbolt chooses its target first, then the grounding totem dies to shadowburn…do you expect the shadowbolt to re-direct itself?

This isn’t a batching issue.

1 Like

I don’t remember it being possible before the shaman update, perhaps it was manageable after. Staying on topic with forced double crit.

Tho being possible, was it easy to replicate every time?

After reading over this thread it sounds as if it was potentially a thing, but rare.

This raises the question, if it was possible for a time but clearly not intended is it healthy for the game considering the situation?

100% easy to replicate; it’s what most ele shamans lived for.

edit: Unless you were slow with button mashing…

1 Like

I’m sure you’re telling it how you played it.

Do you think it’s healthy for the game now that everyone is doing it?

There are a couple neat hunter tricks I know that can be considered an exploit, but they’re not common because hunters are kinda rare.

If it suddenly became cool to play a hunter and I made certain exploits known that would indeed break the game, is that just acceptable?

It’s not an easy question to answer, but it’s one we the community need to think over because the community tends to abuse exploits as frequently as possible; I know I am guilty.

I played a shaman alt back in the day and I never was able to do this, also I never noticed shaman doing it to me on my alliance toon. I assume it was because internet back then was bad, and spell batching was simply a mechanic that helped with lag we were all experiencing in 2005/2006. Now it’s such a huge window of time with nearly all people having super fast internet, people can pull it off 10 times in a row in a bg. This is coming from personal experience reading my logs after facing an ele shaman in WSG when I created this post.