Shadows Rising Interview with Author

Blizzard not only heavily outlines these book, but they are also able to talk with her before even picking her to write the book. Being a big fan of the horde doesn’t actually mean someone will write a good book, her being a night elf fan, among liking many other things about warcraft, doesn’t mean it’s risky that she would be a trash writer unable to write for the horde. Horde seemed to love her Lor’themar and Thalyssra short story.

3 Likes

I think it’s obscenely fair to ask why a book that was written predominately for the Horde was written by an Alliance-bent author when all expansions are written towards an Alliance bend to the detriment of the Horde. We are constantly getting the lesser portion of this game which is billed as two-faction.

further, the pragmatic argument is thrown out the window since sulvanas has been trying to cause as much death as possible.

it cant be a pragmatic first punch and also a ploy to cause as much death as possible.

2 Likes

Quite right. You misunderstand. The pragmatic option was taking Teldrassil captive. BURNING Teldrassil was shortsighted, dumb, and only served Sylvanas, being a repulsive action for many of the present forces of the War of Thorns.

Horde forces signed up for the War of Thorns. Not the burning of Teldrassil. Pragmatism could justify the WoT militarily. Not the burning.

Missing the point. Making faction fandom a factor is farcical.

I think Horde fans and Alliance fans should drink from different water fountains.

4 Likes

Dude, the skill, technique, and creativity of any writer is irrelevant as long as the same stupid parameters imposed by Blizz´s lore devs are kept.

It is a fair question, but after reading leaks and whole iterations of spoilers, I found the things bothering me stayed cause -no wonder- the parameters limited by the devs are the same overdone, non creative and destructive false woke-ness BS of always.

Which in my book translates as “the writer IS irrelevant”. The devs still insist on their mistakes and ruin the narrative, period.

Uhhh? What do you mean?

also anyone thinking an artist’s tattoos are going to influence their writing needs a long lesson in fundamental attribution error

adults are able to like things and behave professionally.

4 Likes

Blizz lore team disagrees. BfA is an ode to non professional behaviour.

It’s a joke about the arbitrary and insane lines people draw between and around who likes what in a shared universe.

6 Likes

Oh, well that explains why I didn´t get the reference as a non American poster.

unprofessional would be trying to slide in expletives in the fiction or not completing it.

you may not like the fiction but it isn’t unprofessional. the irony that you said this in a post mentioning fundamental attribution is

ironic?

1 Like

This here confirms a particular suspicion about Blizzard and it’s novels that I have had for a long time.
These storylines, especially the novels, play out in general, as Blizzard wants it to. Not the writer. Blizzard lays the skeleton out, the writer simply puts on the muscle and skin.
A crude reference, but I believe it should make sense.
This means a novel like Wolfheart, is not Knaak destroying your childhood by making Maiev the bad guy, nor Illidan by King is betraying your faith by showing that Illidan was not the villain he was made out to be.
This means that Blizzard wants Maiev to be a villain, Illidan is meant to be a hero, Sylvanas is going down this darker path, and Anduin is seriously flawed.
Even this current novel is not Roux stomping on your ideals of the Alliance and Horde, this is Blizzard’s agenda, she is simply contracted to give us the finer details.

6 Likes

Dude, Golden herself aknowledged in twitter she uses Anduin as an “example of good behaviour for her child”.

Self inserts that boycott the narrative ARE the symptom of non professional writting (or VERY incompetent writting, take your pick).

Blizz literally retcons itself at the drop of a hat in most stuff EXCEPT the Self insert characterization.

Very true, although its good to remember the finer details are not insignificant. The execution is just as, sometimes even more important than the idea, and things that may seem small can effect a lot in how people view certain characters.

For example I think Anduin in this book is written a thousand times better than in BtS and BFA, but Blizzards general plan for him probably hasn’t changed since then. Roux just has a better ability to write him.

1 Like

She was pretty much saying that every interview, even Golden was talking about it back when she was writing ToW or Warcrimes (I forget which one), it’s not really a suspicion. The only thing the author will really be doing is dialogue and the minor details of character interactions while they go from Blizzard’s point A to B.

THIS. A bad idea can easily become terrible if we get a bad execution on top of bad parameters.

dude maybe you shouldn’t use 140 characters to make judgements about a person?

do you realize how ridiculous that is?

human beings are amazing creatures; We are comprised of far more than two sentences

For the record, I don’t actually personally find Shadows Rising to be bad execution. I like it quite a bit, as far as these things go, and a lot of that comes down to the authors specific style of writing and her understanding of characters.

1 Like

to cut this off at the head:

i don’t think you understand the gravity of such an accusation for someone who’s job it is to create.

this is pretty hefty and if this is lost on you, i would guess it’s because you’ve spent too much time here cultivating hate for these people.

you’re essentially saying she’s awful at her job because of twitter posts.

Dude, maybe she should act like an actual professional and not make dumb remarks like that in very public and very available media (like you know… the rest of us mortals?).

I can absolutely make judgements over the PROFESSIONAL behavious of a person that ACTS unprofessional in a public media. That´s my right as a costumer of this product.

Now, if my opinion hurts too much your delicate sensibilities, put me on ignore and be done with it, period. Cause unless you pay for my sub and are my biological progenitor, you kinda have no right to tell me what to write nor much less which opinions should I develop.

Oh no no no, I wasn´t implying that. I just “completed” you very valid point cause I agree with it. I mean, it´s kinda appliable to writting in general, not limited to this particular author and this particular novel.

I haven´t read 100% of the book, I can´t make a 100% objective opinion on it until I do so.

She´s awful at her job cause objectively speaking she retconned entire portions of stuff and was fool enough to admit this in public.

And I repeat: dislike my opinion? the ignore button is your friend, feel free to use it.

2 Likes