Shadows Rising Interview with Author

Agreedo.

Let’s also ignore how the Alliance factually and objectively started it.

https://imgur.com/a/UTCN6Du

4 Likes

I just want to point out the kind of person Dread is:

He goes there to take that picture and then cuts out the friendly siege engine that is right next to the commander, he also ignores every other unit in Brennadam in an attempt to say this was hostile to the horde, I had to go out and take pictures of it for him because he didn’t believe people would check on it (remove the space).

` imgur. com/a/QEv66L0

In the book it was pretty much everyone on the beach, including shaman summoning winds so the tree would burn faster. Saurfang was the only one on the beach trying to stop anyone but they didn’t listen to him, they chose to not listen to Saurfang.

3 Likes

I hope nathanos doesn’t die. I love him now

i don’t think he’s a good person; killed some scouts and threw their bodies in the ocean, and that’s gonna cause a few families a lot of heart break and above all I would probably put him in a rehabilitation center for his life in the real world

but he’s such a tragic figure, and this is magnified many times over when you consider the meta hate he gets

2 Likes

No, it wasn’t.

Nothing to hide here. Log is congruent. The Alliance intentionally attacked the leader of the Horde to start a war. They went without any foreknowledge at all of Sylvanas’s plans. They went to kill her.

And I am saying this is an unfair accusation in the first place if it’s based on the idea that she’d dislike fictional characters who did fictional things to other fictional characters.

Preemptive strike. They’re a thing. You can debate the morality of it, but especially when you have a longstanding history of aggression, or several influential people that are set against your faction (and previously attacked against orders), and you can’t afford to be hit first when your capital is more vulnerable than your opponents…

…Sometimes the pragmatic option is hitting first. Especially when the game plan as explained to you is that you can take a city hostage and use that as a hefty bargaining chip for a super favorable negotiation.

2 Likes

We’re going to have to agree to disagree about that, I guess. I just don’t think that you can fake enthusiasm. I’m not denying that it is possible to still write something perfectly competent without it.

1 Like

What makes you think that Roux is faking enthusiasm?

4 Likes

I’m not saying she is. I’m saying there was a risk that she would have to.

Literally nothing suggests she was not enthusiastic about the horde side from the interviews. This is just more stuff you are making up to try to hate the book.

2 Likes

I mean, no, they chose the one who they presumably talked to a great deal and found them to be an adequate author to write this book. They didn’t pull an authors name out of a hat and they definitely didn’t make weird assumptions about her person cause of her tattoos.

You can definitely blame the Horde for having the equivalent reaction of clicking their tongue and going “Well golly I didn’t like that, oh well.” and then not doing anything about it.

7 Likes

And thus far, such concerns for risks are unfounded. By all indications, the risk that Roux would be an unappealing writer for the Horde was worth it because she seems to be knocking it out of the park by majority opinion, far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Okay, but even if that’s true, there was no way to know that until the book was actually written.

The only person who you have to agree to disagree with is yourself, because you keep making accusations you yourself cover why you shouldn’t be making them in the first place:

As you pointed out, you don’t know anything about her, or the job interview she went through, or why Blizzard picked her, so you cannot actually claim there was a risk at all.

2 Likes

“I don’t think you can fake enthusiasm” is not intended as an accusation or a description of what I believe Madeleine Roux to be doing. It is an explanation of why I don’t believe it is a horrible slander to say that a writer might produce lower quality work on a subject that they’re not excited about. Not bad work, mind you. Just lower quality than the work they’d do on a subject they are excited about.

Which is why its generally a good idea to reserve judgment for when the book is released.

You can’t preemptively forbid writers from writing for the opposite faction which they state they’re a fan of on the suspicion of the risk that they’ll be unenthusiastic about it.

1 Like

If I were looking for a writer who’s most likely to do justice to the group that is the focus of a book, I wouldn’t immediately go to someone who is a self-proclaimed big fan of that group’s biggest enemies.

I would think that you’d prioritize skill, technique, and creativity over whether someone is an Alliance or Horde main.

7 Likes

the pragmatic option is never genocide. i feel you people spend far too much time here if you even think a pragmatic person would come to this conclusion

that is the pragmatic option in a room of fools only able to deal in absolutes. even our real world exterminations of people were not pragmatic, they were hateful

hell, you could argue the most infamous extermination in history cost the perpetrator the war since they needed to divert resources to it; how is that pragmatic? it was a losing strategy

5 Likes

Rothiron: Blizzard has access to multiple writers who all have skill, technique, and creativity.