Shadows Rising Interview with Author

And you are wrong because this is a rather insulting accusation towards a professional writer, suggesting that they would be emotionally compromised by fictional characters are if they were real, especially when having experience as a horror writer would have placed her many times in situations where she would herself have written about bad things happening to characters people might have like.

4 Likes

(Sigh)

No, I’m not saying she’d be deliberately unprofessional. But as I said above, the difference frequently shows between something a person enjoyed writing and/or believes in and something they just wrote for a paycheck. (Sometimes it’s worse due to overpartiality, yes.)

Roux seemed to quite enjoy writing and everyone in it based on the interview tho…

5 Likes

Did you actually listen to any of her interviews? Or did you just hear “night elf fan” and write her off immediately? She pretty much says she loves every character she was writing and she expands on them all when asked about them. She even gives moments to forgotten characters like JI and she loves her original troll character and talks a lot about Nathanos, she absolutely loves Bwomsomdi too. She even wrote the Lor’themar and Thalyssra short story.

It seems more like your problem is you have zero clue about her interviews or the book.

The night elves weren’t even really a factor in this book. The book speaks for itself, and if she wasn’t able to write a horde story she wouldn’t be a professional writer and probably wouldn’t get work again from Blizzard and it would be a signal to other companies that might want to hire her for additional work that she just phones it in because she doesn’t care.

It’s clear from what you are asking here, just because she like the night elves, particularly the nature themes, means she wouldn’t be professional enough to write a good story. Night elves were irrelevant to the story and barely got any screen time. If you are a night elf only fan, you probably shouldn’t even waste your time with this book.

Reading the book should be enough to convince you though. I won’t be able to convince you because and this point you are just going to double and triple down on saying she isn’t a good writer for this book because she likes the night elves and she can never like multiple things at once.

8 Likes

Yes well, first, that’s not the same as being a fan of both factions. Second, Christie Golden claimed to like the Forsaken while she was destroying them.

They don’t have to be. It’s just that you can often tell when someone is struggling to come up with something nice to say about a character, even if they eventually succeed.

You know what? I’m just gonna quit reading every time you tell me what I think, because you refuse to listen to my requests to stop.

And I am not saying you are wrong or right on your assessment on a person’s enjoyment having an affect on their writing.

I am saying you are wrong in accusing a professional writer as potentially having something against fictional characters that harmed other fictional character to the point of emotional compromise.

4 Likes

When did I say emotional compromise? The worst possibility I’ve laid out is that she’d be writing unenthusiastically as a duty, and that happens.

Anyway, I said she had REASON to dislike Horde characters, not that she absolutely did. And that this reason potentially made her not the best choice for the assignment.

On the same token she claimed in an interview she was a night elf fan and didn’t do anything for the night elves here. I wouldn’t suggest this book to night elf fans, I would suggest it to troll and bwomsomdi fans or people who want the alliance to be slightly more morally grey.

This is again your problem, you don’t believe a writer is able to write a good story for one side if they like something on the other. This is a degenerate line of thinking saying “only horde fans should write horde stories! only alliance fans should write alliance stories! Otherwise they won’t be able to work!”.

A writer can separate themselves from the fiction they are writing, and any professional writer will try to write a good story.

4 Likes

Stopped reading.

The follow core of your point:

You yourself also laid out why such accusations are wrong:

And yet you avoid withdrawing your accusations by prefacing your backtracking with a maybe, as if your accusation was fair in the first place.

2 Likes

“Emotionally compromised” is an overstatement of what I meant by that. I just meant that she might be struggling to engage with Horde characters and that the writing might therefore be of lower quality than what she would have written if she’d been able to do a whole book about Night Elves or other characters that she had actual enthusiasm for. And by lower quality I mean less engaging, with less “spark.”

Also, where this whole thing started was less about whether she is able to deliver a good book or not and more about the fact that of all the writers Blizzard could have gone to for this book, they chose the one who gets tattoos of Night Elves.

More like long-unnecessary.

1 Like

Have you considered the Horde doesn’t have a leg to stand on? I’d love you to write a believable non fanfic tier passage justifying the War of Thorns.

Yes. You can’t blame the Horde because Sylvanas and six catapult operators went nuts.
Especially not after Mak’gora was issued and the Warchief was removed.

And some shamans and mages. Also no one listened to Saurfang when he told them to stop. But even Nathanos looked at Sylvanas as if wondering if she hit her head hard.

The War of Thorns was just… horrible. For everyone involved. I wish they’d retcon it.

8 Likes

Yeah lets just ignore everything about the unjustified war except the end.

3 Likes

You can justify the war, not so much the genocide. Well, you could justify the genocide too, but it’s never going to be on a moral level, only pragmatic.

Give me one non stupid reason the War of Thorns was justified. Remember the cannon reason is “They might hit us first if they’re bored”

2 Likes
  • Attacking the Warchief of the Horde.
  • Flooding Orgrimmar with Spies.
  • Calia’s presence at the Arathi meeting coming off as usurping Sylvanas’ rule.
  • Conflict over Azerite down in Silithus.
7 Likes

From what I have seen of the book (since i can’t get the damn thing yet) the author seems to have done a pretty solid job. That said, I can see where my fellow horde players annoyances come from. After BfA, Blizzard frankly has to resell the Horde to me in a way that doesn’t make me have contempt for it and a lot of what we are getting isn’t doing that. BfA, particularly after MoP and the lack of involvement of the Horde since then, really badly damaged the Horde’s identity and sense of worth to the point where it is hard not to be frustrated with the place Blizzard has driven the Horde to. Narratively many of these plot moments make sense but just remind and rub salt into the wound caused by the treatment the Horde has gotten for the past ten years. It is like being constantly reminded of humiliation.

If anything, I realized my current spark of interest in Shadowlands is caused by how uninvolved the factions, including the Horde, are. Actually Thrall and Baine’s involvement got a firm ‘Meh’ from me and came off as the horde being pathetic again. It isn’t a good sign when a player is glad when they don’t have their faction around. If the Alliance burned down Orgrimmar while we were in the Shadowlands I think my response would more be ‘My god, the Horde is useless’ rather than ‘How dare the Alliance!’.

10 Likes