Shadows Rising Interview with Author

Yes.jpg

fun video on youtube!

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that someone that is hired professionally to write for Blizzard isn’t going to let their personal biases shine through and affect their work to the degree you are worrying about. They wouldn’t be in that position if they had the self control most of these forums have when it comes to their in game favorites.

3 Likes

Even if she is one of them, I still think it wasn’t a great plan for Blizzard to ask her to write a book mainly focused on the Horde. If the book turns out well, it’s in spite of her fan focus, not because of it.

I did not say that. I said that I don’t think choosing a Night Elf fan to write the Horde-focused post-Teldrassil book was a great idea, and I stand by that.

If you’re writing bad fan fiction, yes.

You’re putting words in my mouth again. Please stop doing that.

I didn’t beg for anything. The only thing I have said, which I am not going back on, was that giving this assignment to someone who likes Night Elves enough to get tattoos of them was not a great idea.

I might believe that if I hadn’t already seen it happen in other Warcraft books.

You did say that, and you are saying that here. Just because she likes the night elves doesn’t mean she can’t write a good book for the horde. A writer needs to be able to write from different perspectives and she did fine here, better than most of the previous trash wow novels.

Yep, and it’s what you are asking for here. Bad fan fiction because you don’t believe she is able to write a horde book since she claimed in an interview she was a night elf fan. It’s like you really believe she is taking a paycheck from blizzard so she can deliberately write a crappy book for the horde so she doesn’t get to work for them again.

Oh no, she likes the nature theme of the night elves so she gets Cenarius and Brightwing. The tattoo means she is forever marred and can only write for night elves.

There was literally nothing wrong with the book, but her being a night elf fan (which again didn’t come across in the book) was irrelevant and her characters moments were interesting and better written any any of the recent wow books.

6 Likes

No. I said that asking someone to write a book about a fictional group that they have a reason to dislike is not a great idea. Even if the book turns out okay, that doesn’t mean it was a great idea to start with.

I did not ask for anything. You’re assuming you know what I want, and you need to stop doing that.

What I did was question Blizzard’s choice of author. You’re the one who’s building a whole fantasy sand castle on top of that one statement.

Zuleika, you are just objectively in the wrong on this. A professional writer is not going to make their writing worse because they’re fans of some element or another. Especially not when Blizzard is holding the reigns and rejects her drafts that they do not want to be written about their property.

15 Likes

Not deliberately, no–not if they’re being professional. But attitudes can come through in writing. Writing that you’re passionate about is different from stuff you’re writing just for a paycheck.

1 Like

And no professional writer is going to risk that paycheck.

4 Likes

I’m not saying this one would or did. I’m saying that she probably wrote the Horde as a duty, because she was being paid to. And that’s going to be different from how she would have written the Horde if she liked them.

And before you say it, YES, fiction written by partial writers can be bad too.

And you would be wrong. Go watch an interview with her. For example, she brought in Ji to pair with Thrall in a way no one else has before, when Blizzard would have suggested just pairing Thrall and Baine again.

9 Likes

What is that supposed to prove?

That she did not see writing the Horde as simply a duty. She found it interesting and engaged with it just as well.

15 Likes

Even in the interview she didn’t say she “disliked” anyone. Here you are mostly translating your biases over to her. You seem to think that just because you would be unable to write a decent story for the alliance if given the chance, no one can.

This is not true and when you are a professional writer, instead you will try to write a good story because that is the best way to get work.

You are saying blizzard should have hired a horde fan to write this horde story so it can be a horde power fantasy over a good book. Her being a night elf fan doesn’t mean she can’t like other parts of the story as well, what you’re arguing here is completely absurd and complaining about things that are ENTIRELY irrelevant to any decent writer.

6 Likes

Well, hurrah for her, then. But as I said above, if the book turned out well, it was in spite of her being a Night Elf fan, not because of it.

And I am saying you are wrong, because the if the booked turned out well it’s because she’s a good writer, and her being a Night Elf fan did not affect the Horde sections at all, so it is not in spite of her being a Night Elf fan.

8 Likes

I said she had reason to dislike the Horde. I didn’t say she did dislike them, because I don’t know her. Unlike you, I don’t assume that I know everyone’s thoughts and feelings better than they do.

You know nothing about my writing.

Did you actually read anything I said?

You’re doing that thing where you put words in my mouth again. I already asked you to stop it, so again … just stop it. Actually read and think about what the other person is saying instead of just assuming you know their thoughts.

If her being a Night Elf fan did not affect the Horde sections, that is the very definition of the book succeeding in spite of her being a Night Elf fan.

I supposed in that technicality you are correct, that the book probably is not selling because of the few pages on Tyrande, but mostly for anyone interested in Nathanos and the Bwonsamdi and the Zandalari, and word of mouth that she wrote them well.

1 Like

Or maybe she was excited to write for Blizzard because wow is a game she enjoys? But that can never be considered, just horde writers vs alliance writers because none of them can be professionals.

Also people can like multiple things at once, there are tons of people who enjoy both factions, while this is not relevant to a professional writer, liking one thing doesn’t mean you can’t like something else.

What are those reasons? Did she state them? Did she say she doesn’t like the horde? Or are you making things up because you are projecting yourself onto her?

From how you post and what you want to see in a writer who writes something, it seems kind of implied since you can’t seem to separate the writer from what they say they like and you assume just because they say they like one thing, means they can’t also like something else.

6 Likes

What I mean is that if her being a Night Elf fan had leaked through into the Horde sections, that would be a reason why it wasn’t necessarily a good book, because she wouldn’t be doing justice to characters she disliked. But if she weren’t a Night Elf fan, she’d have nothing to put aside in order to do justice to the characters who wronged her favorites.

Has Madeleine Roux ever described herself as a fan of both factions?

Umm … because she’s being asked to write sympathetically about the fictional characters who committed an atrocity against her favorite fictional characters. Maybe she’s totally able to set that aside, in which case, good for her.

Sand castles again. You don’t know what I want to see in a writer who writes something, because I haven’t told you. I repeat again, all I said is that a fan of the Night Elves was not a great choice to write a book about the Horde right after the Horde committed an atrocity against the Night Elves.

You haven’t said a thing yet to convince me that it is a good idea. The best you’ve been able to manage is “Maybe that writer will be able to not think about it.” Yeah, maybe. But no one will know until the book is written. It’s a risk.