Shadowlands Hunter class changes

I really kinda wish we were seeing some pet class changes. I miss my wolf having a howl ability. I used to really like some of their flavor abilities and it felt alot less watered down. If nothing else, is enjoy seeing something different and cool about the various exotics.

4 Likes

Haha i still remember the trex roar buff, it was funny cause 2 hunters in town both had trex and they had them facing each other doing the roar buff, like they were prepping to fight.

The cooldowns are to prevent constantly swapping them to attempt to maintain full stacks forever.

The originals (Army Paean, Mage Ballad, Wanderer’s Minuet) were intentionally designed so that you would run one song for the full duration, since they were set to 30 second durations with an 80 second cooldown each. So prematurely switching to a different song basically wastes the first song you used and lowers your DPS output since once the song expires you have a long while before you can use it again.

I figured a similar principle should apply here.

Your post is too nebulous for my tastes. My brain translates “ways to interact with the world” to “flavor abilities for a class”. Eyes of the Beast, Scare Beast, teaching your pet to do tricks, the ability to set up a rugged campsite and such come to mind.

Having more buttons is not a fix all because just as you could give a class more mechanics through more abilities, you could have a mess of skills that require simulations to figure out which is more worthwhile. If anything, I’d ask for more cohesive design and the mechanics to go with it instead of just asking for more buttons.

1 Like

You translated that correctly then. I won’t disagree with your assessment either.

When I think of more buttons, I think of more utilities (eg traps, fears, dots, healing reducers, tracking, speed buffs, slows, disorienting effects, interrupts, debufs). I am definitely not talking about the rotation when I talk about more buttons although I do miss the RSV rotation and I really dislike the MM and BM combat rotations.

I dunno, I like the idea of rotations having like a slim chance of being able to do much higher DPS all of a sudden. That’s one of the reasons i like Roll the Bones so much. Mixes up the rotation and always gives you something to gun for. Instead of a rotation being “I do this, now this, now this, and then this proc comes off its internal cooldown, now I do this, and this, repeat.” you can get moments every great once in a while where you go “gasp Oh boy here we go!”

Big moments that don’t happen every pull and can’t be relied upon, but that excite the player and puts a constant inkling in the back of their mind of the possibility of it happening. Moments of RNG that require skill and timing to take full advantage of, and slowly become more common with better gear, adding an extra layer of excitement when you get that new piece.

The concept of ‘Aspect-cycling’ for BM is something I could find to be a lot of fun, depending on how it’s done.

I made a topic on this quite a while back(July -19) with pretty much a concept like that in mind.

This one: Beast Mastery[Aspects!]

• The intent is for each Aspect/effect to provide both a way of increased damage output as well as a certain change in priorities/gameplay that isn’t necessarily tied to external sources like set bonuses or gear perks or such. Also, not dependent on picking specific talents.
  • The effects provided by each Aspect will last for the duration of Bestial Wrath
  • Forgot to specify in that post how the intent is that, if you pick a specific Aspect, then that Aspect will take effect each and every time you activate Bestial Wrath, until the point you switch to another Aspect.
  • Specific suggestions are ofc mere examples of what could be done.
  • Suggestions aren’t balanced perfectly.

I can’t say how this would compare to gameplay mechanics and designs found in FF as, I’ve never played it. But it would have the potential to add some fun interactions and changes to gameplay for BM in WoW.

Sometimes I forgot how much we lost.

They took all of that away (including an entire spec) and then they try to make nice by giving us back two highly situational abilities, one underhanded nerf, and Tranq Shot.

I hate seeing all those things lised in a one place like this. It makes me sad.

3 Likes

Updates to the original post:

• Added anima powers. There are some interesting ones in there. For example, you can get one that lets you ignite your Tar Trap with Flare for AoE damage.
  • The Night Fae ability is definitely what was previously called Sentinel (it’s now Wild Spirits).
  • Removed Bristleweed Trap since it definitely looks like a discarded ability from earlier in development and it’s nowhere to be seen on the alpha. It was probably the old Night Fae ability.
2 Likes

SURVIVAL CHANGES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE

1. Mongoose Bite baseline. Mongoose Bite should be baseline because it gives the spec depth, and it makes for interesting gameplay. Also you can’t argue with how great it feels to hit that fifth stack of Mongoose Bite and slam down on your opponent with everything you have. Why not replace the talent with an azerite trait like Primeval Intuition, or Wilderness Survival? Tip of the Spear would work the same just insert Mongoose Bite and you’re golden.

2. Butchery baseline. We can all agree Carve is boring. It feels so bad to cast, and I don’t understand why it is still in the game. Butchery is fun, and looks exciting when you press that button. Remove the cooldown, drop the charges, and make it the go-to focus dump in AOE situations (replacing the new baseline Mongoose Bite in the rotation).

3. Serpent Sting duration. Serpent Sting’s duration should not be reduced by Haste. It feels so clunky when we have to let it drop off during our burst window. It feels broken. Fix it.

4. Remove Kill Shot’s focus cost. To keep up Coordinated Assault during our burst window, we stop casting Serpent Sting to keep that damage rolling. Throwing another global in the mix that costs focus is just another spell that feels so funky in practice. But thanks for giving us a ranged execute as a melee class. Super cool Blizzard. Well done. Seriously. Thank you.

5. Replace Muzzle with Counter Shot. Why not give the ranged/melee hybrid a ranged interrupt like Enhancement Shaman’s Wind Shear? Makes sense to me. Make all your PvP players happy. You know you want to. Just a thought.

One More Thing Please
I know it’s a point of contention among Hunters, but can we please make pets a cosmetic choice? If you want to role play a Frostwolf Mag’har, but you want to PvP seriously, you’re stuck with a Raptor or Hyena instead of your white wolf named White Fang, or whatever lame name you come up with. If you watched that first WoW trailer, and you want to be a Dwarf with a massive bear you should be able to, and not worry about losing out on Lust in a dungeon. I for one want Misha’s sister as my pet at all times, too cool. Let us have the choice to change our pet’s spec and family abilities (exotic abilities excluded). If you want to be a master of all beasts and swap out your pets for each situation, you still can! But let other players make that decision for themselves. Please. I’d take this over every other change I listed above.

2 Likes

Asking for Counter Shot for Survival is ridiculously out of line. If you want ranged stuff for Survival then you must also ask for Survival to be properly ranged, period.

4 Likes

SV getting Counter Shot, requiring a Bow, and with CS suffering a 15s CD from Muzzle and triggering a 24s CD on Muzzle, wouldn’t be completely unreasonable.

I’ve posted minor tweaks to SV several times now across the Hunter and In Development forums for how SV could be allowed to be ranged OR melee, with the same toolkit it has now. Most of the interesting abilities are medium range with no weapon requirement, and the few that are dedicated melee abilities have ranged analogs.

I think giving SV the ability to use any weapon type they can equip with their class abilities fits with both the theme of the spec (a resourceful survivalist using any tool available to outlast their foes in the harsh wilderness) and would be a unique and interesting option not represented in any other spec.

Dual wield is a no brainer - there is literally zero reason this can’t be an option for those who want it - and ranged is workable with less than 10 changes to the alpha version of the spec.

I understand it isn’t the old RSV playstyle, but any ranged option would be better than not having a ranged option.

1 Like

I’m just here to remind everyone that bm is supposed to revolve around the usage of the hunter and their companions, so it’s probably best to keep that theme when talking about theoretical changes you might want to see added to the game.

I couldn’t agree more with the trick shots change. It feels so bad to know you have basically no 2-target cleave.

If BM is getting nerfed by a 6 second revive pet AND a reduced Spirit Mend, then we either need some combination of - 1) a buff to pet damage, 2) CC to the point where we can actually kite, 3) a buff to sustained ranged damage, 4) actual burst ranged damage - if we are going to be any sort of viable in PVP.

I’m a newer hunter and never played with kill shot, so can anyone tell me if thats worth the trade off? Without survivabilty or CC / the ability to kite, or a buff to any damage, it is likely we can stay alive long enough for kill shot to be actually useful?

You are comparing apples and rocks.

Kill Shot has nothing to do with pet survivability. Revive Pet has nothing to do with ranged burst damage.

Be glad that Kill Shot is back, it’s fun. It’s also going to be objectively worse for BM than either MM (where it’s amazing, and has a talent to buff it further) and SV (where it’s good, but not as much as MM), because BM is so heavily focused on pet damage instead of ranged damage. Kill Shot for MM gets a range and damage increase from Mastery for example, while for BM you get the AP coefficient and that’s it.

Complain about the Revive Pet change, because it sucks. For all 3 specs, but especially for BM and SV, even if you play MM with a pet 100% of the time, because BM and SV need the pet to regen Focus - they simply aren’t functional specs with a dead pet.

4 Likes

Thats sort of what I was getting at - it seems like BM is getting another spec/pet nerf without being buffed elsewhere, besides getting Kill Shot. There was nothing to balance out getting the 20%-30% spec/pet damage nerfs at the start of Bfa in PVP, and now our survivabilty is getting nerfed without anything to balance out that loss.

I understand the apples and rocks comparison. The overall point is getting our apples taken and not even getting rocks means that we have neither.

1 Like

In the latest Alpha build Chakrams and Steel Trap appear to be baseline for all specs. I’m not sure what their plan is here of if this is intended.

1 Like

Bold of you to assume they have a plan.

9 Likes

Sounds like early alpha, they direction now is to remove spirit mend altogether without a replacement and likely increase revive pet nearer to 30 seconds for better planning of attacks vs pet spamming.