Shadowlands Hunter class changes

We actually called it Aspect of the Daze for a while and complained… so blizz changed it and now ppl want it back? We have trailblazer to compensate, plus a pet for an additional 8 percent plus new cheetah.

Trailblazer has had to compete with Posthaste and Camouflage in the talent row over the last several expansions. Personally I have never used Trailblazer because of the competing talents.

That is only used for PvP or soloing real old content that you don’t need the Clefthoof’s/Scalehide’s survivability or the Spirit Beast’s/Stag’s soothe.

3 Likes

post haste is not on the same line with trail blazer.

its the reduced cooldown on exhileration or cammo

It was prior to BfA.

I prefer all the variations now over AotC with the daze effect. It is possible I only remember being annoyed at the daze effect but thats just it- when you really needed it you were in a situation where you were very likely to get dazed. I would like trailblazer to affect party members though or maybe have aspect of the pack back though (with daze effect if need be), mostly do to non-hunter commentary while running with a party.

Like button isn’t enough to express how much I love this idea. More interesting tradeoffs like this, MORE SKILL!

3 Likes

There was a glyph that made Aspect of the Cheetah get removed put on a 10 sec CD instead of dazing you so everything you’re complaining about is moot.

This doesn’t correlate with what actually happened. MM was largely abandoned in PvE throughout MoP but was a very good choice and ultimately the absolute best in WoD. It did indeed see less play in rated PvP in WoD but that’s more due to the complete dominance of SV.

You’re failing to take into account that a) the Sniper Training buff was 10% damage and 10% crit damage scaling with mastery; significant, but hardly so big that you hit like a wet noodle while moving especially given it allowed for limited movement, and b) the trade-off was that Aimed Shot could be cast while moving. A lot of people just like the idea of being able to cast everything while moving and having the movement penalty exist in the form of a passive; after all, in terms of heavy movement it’s a lot less punishing than not being able to cast Aimed Shot or having it frequently interrupted by movement.

Arcane Shot requires an actual ranged weapon equipped. Kill Shot uses the sidearm crossbow and requires a polearm equipped (yes, really).

Your word salad isn’t my problem. You’re bad at articulating points, and the points themselves are bad too.

Cool story, so let’s look to what actually happens in content: Survival Hunters are getting excluded from most PvE content. So they’re right when they say melee is a barrier.

Are you doing this on purpose? I literally just described a class issue. Stop wasting my time.

Yes, I care about ranged v.s. melee, but it’s not enough to just take the current Survival and make it playable at ranged because the current Survival has no cohesive identity. It would still be stealing BM’s abilities, for example.

The “hand-picked data” is the PvE data and it shows that SV participation in PvE is low. You argue, without ANY data, that it’s mysteriously and unprovably massively popular everywhere else but PvE. There’s no way to tell, but are you really going to be that there are more SV Hunters out there doing world quests and battlegrounds e.t.c. than BM?

There are plenty of things this pack of clowns that call themselves game developers have in mind that’s stupid and as we can see they do go back on them from time to time. Since Legion SV has just been getting more and more ranged and it’s clear that the melee mechanics are just holding the spec back at this point. I still think it’s unlikely they’ll ever make it fully ranged but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to stop posting that they should make it ranged.

It pretty much does, actually. It’s not fun to struggle to do things the intended way to play the spec can do with ease.

There’s no skill ceiling in “equip a melee weapon and forget that Arcane Shot exists” which is by far the most likely outcome here.

Remember you have Aspect of the Eagle which is a relatively short cooldown that allows Raptor Strike to be used at ranged for some time. It still requires a melee weapon equipped. There will be almost no situations where you will want to use a ranged weapon over a melee weapon unless they make drastic changes.

Swinging a 2-handed weapon around and then arbitrarily putting that down somewhere and swapping to a bow sounds unwieldy and totally the opposite to immersive. “Immersion” isn’t some catch-all term you can use to justify every terrible mechanic despite what classic WoW might imply.

I’m really tired of these compromises that are missing the good parts. If we have these changes that might work if they do x, y, and z, how about doing those things first? Same applies to the absurd AoE capping change.

9 Likes

If they could rebrand bramble trap as bramble shot that would be cool. I enjoy the idea of shooting an arrow that then errupts I’m thorny Vines. Plus with all the movement in pvp having to use another ability to set up the trap would feel bad.

1 Like

I’m fairly sure it’s just a trap because that’s been survivals whole shtick for quite some time. And I dunno about if it’ll really feel bad/awkward to use in pvp, I think we should give it some time to get a better feel for everything before making any hard judgements.

Yep. Agreed.

But since the aforementioned things are already there on alpha, I really doubt they’ll be going back on them atm. But yeah…all we can do is provide feedback on it.

One thing I can’t get over is how they for BM removed the choice between Dire Beast/Barbed Shot(Dire Frenzy), going into BfA.

I get why some players did not like using Dire Beast. But why remove the option to choose between them?

And on top of that, why do we still have Animal Companion as a talent as BM?

It has the same effect on BM as Lone Wolf did for MM when it was still a talent. Especially when the second pet does not perform the same actions as the first pet does.

It would be better if we had it baseline and if you choose to have a second pet, the total damage is just split in two.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing GW2 lately. The Ranger prof. has four different signets that offer a passive and active component (the utility section of the toolbar). Just considering a stance in the style of a signet that gives a passive increase to speed and when activated gives a window of extra damage (on a cd) – giving you periods of both at the same time. Too much?

EDIT: I just realized the signet in GW2 turns off the passive when you activate it – had to look at the change in stats on my character sheet to notice this. I’m still new to that game.

There’s no daze now so everything was already moot. If you’re wanting to resurrect old cheetah you better be specific because you just might get it without the glyph.

so what would you suggest then as a replacement?

Likely server load problems with the additional pets.

But Demo locks get to continue with their Imp army? + all other demons.

And speaking of armies…

DKs with Army of the Dead? And yeah, the other minions on top of that.

But Hunters sometimes having 2-5 or 6 beasts out(incl main pet(s)) is a problem?
Note that more often it would be around 2-3 or maybe 4 beasts(also incl main pet(s)).

1 Like

I haven’t done any testing and i haven’t looked at much testing of MM in Shadowlands so far because i am still upset about them keeping a kiting class forced to hardcast and turret at the same time to do damage with all of the CC in the game (it works in PvE, not in PvP).

Personally i would probably like to see some type of cascading/rolling shot replace it, something akin to a lightning shot or something that would roll through an area (it doesn’t have to be lightning, just using that as an example so you can visualize it). With them limiting how many hit targets you have in AOE now anyways i think it would be relatively easy to implement and to get maximum effectiveness would take more skill imo then just circle blob shot on the floor. This would re-inforce the MM type of fantasy in picking and focusing your shot on the person/group you are trying to hit while at the same time not destroying the immersion of a blob of arrows falling from the sky.

Blizzard is pretty creative and i am sure they could come up with something far better then my idea if they put their minds to it. Just please make it not look like Cobra shot which to this day looks like a 5 year old’s crayon as it flies through the air.

Additionally i would like to see the return of flavored ammo like ice arrows from old AV…but that is another topic.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuUOJobnp8&t=2m11s

It is embarrassing and dismaying to see that Spitting Cobra is STILL bugged. Watch the cobra carefully here. It can’t attack his target whenever it’s at 30-40 yards. The only time it attacks is when he swaps to a closer target and when his main target jumps closer to him.

Unbelievable. This is behaviour that caries over from when Spitting Cobra was a Legion SV talent. They’ve had literal years to fix this.

6 Likes

It sort of sounds like the same thing, just a different visual. I’m not knocking it by any means though. :slight_smile: :grinning:

I recall in WOD, Exotic munitions was widely panned, but I think that could be a very solid basis for accomplishing your idea. Rather than it be a talent, or maybe in lieu of Volley, Provide a toggle/cooldown, providing either frost or explosive rounds.

Frost rounds to provide a poor mans frost nova, and explosive rounds for additional damage. This could augment your normal MM related rotation as well, as to provide the intended "marksman"feel, along with the some additional utility.

TBO im good either way. I prefer targeted volley over barrage any day of the week. And if we can somehow talk them into giving Hurricane back to druids, or adjusting the name and giving it to elemental shaman, I would be a very happy camper.

So, as an aoe shot it has to server a certain purpose so it has to be shoehorned into a certain capability. But in my opinion the way the package looks matters, but functionally it could work a bit differently, perhaps a cone instead of a circle or it could still work in a circular fashion becuase for whatever reason Blizzard feels MM’s need that in their kit and it could be you fire (for intance) an electric shot on the floor that reverberates over the area.

I think though that with a coned type of shot there is a greater capacity to “aim” at what you are trying to hit rather than just circle on the floor. Having said that, with a circle on the floor you can aim for something in the distance to hit that is not right in front of you…which a coned shot would hit what is in front of you before maybe the target you are trying to get at.

But to be honest i don’t know what/why Blizzard has implemented volley the way they did and so without that knowledge it is hard to try to “replace” so to speak what they already have in the game.

I vaguely remember exotic munitions…but i don’t remember it being like ice arrows/frozen arrows from AV. Certainly i liked the flavor of the animations of the arrows. Also it has been quite a long time and i can’t remember if those arrows had a slow proc on them or not…but that would be a nice thing as well if i am being totally honest.

I like this. And i wholeheartedly agree. I think they have put themselves in a funny position with Hunter’s now that the class is split with part melee and part ranged physical and that this has led to some wierd and sometimes uneven decision making. I am glad that some folks like Survival Hunters (it’s not for me and i have never played it) as they are now but i think it has pitted the players of the class against one another in some aspects and it has also clearly caused some problems for the devs in terms of what to do with the “class” when the spec’s are so different.

The ranged physical damage is the Hunter “fantasy” but now the cat is out of the bag with the melee portion of the class when i personally think they would have been better suited to split the class in 2 completely and make “melee surv” a separate thing. So i guess i would rather see a ranged physical class of Hunter with 2 ranged specs get the attention it needs while creating the melee Hunter class with maybe 2 specs as something completely different and then give it the proper attention it too needs, there could even be some lore surrounding the split to make it happen. And we already have DH’s with just 2 specs so it’s not something out of the realm of possibility, just something i have thought about.

1 Like

I feel like they completely missed the mark by making survival the melee spec. Personally, it just seems like it would have been tailor made for BM. That would have allowed them to keep 2 ranged physical specs, and still positioned survival to have the pet interplay.

I think there are far more fanciful directions they could have taken survival. Maybe an offshoot of affliction’s DOT ramp up, and hybridize it with a dart style of play that you can use to buff party members health or damage.

Hell, i could even see survival having been another healing class, through gadgets, medicines, and various triage style mechanics. It would be ridiculously hard to accomplish, but maybe one where the healing has very limited range, like recipient needing to be in melee range, but the trade off would be that they move faster than other classes, and have many movement freeing abilities.

Endgame though is I think you are right, the cat is out of the bag, and its difficult to go back now…

2 Likes