Shadowlands has strong Horde Potential

Did you play legion? Because the moon guard were an integral part of the war of the ancients as shown in the illidan flashback

Also not true. The passage from Chronicle continues:

Though they had twarted the attempt to create a new portal, the rebellious Highborne had no plans to join the night elf resistance and continue fighting the Legion. Fearing calamity, Elisande and her followers worked to fortify their holdings in Suramar. They harnessed the Eye of Aman'Thul, one of the Pillars of Creation, to create an immense font of arcane magic. Known as the Nightwell, this source of power would nourish the sorcerers and protect them from future threats.

The Highborne that would become the Nightborne raised their shields before the Sundering, before the war was even over, because they expected the Legion to win, and they left everyone else for dead.

Yeah. Know where that quest flashback took place? Black Rook Hold. Not Suramar.

4 Likes

wow
its almost like
the moon guard
were part of the resistance or something

Amazing, its like what ive said all along.

Wow. It’s like the Highborne that became the Nightborne were never the Moon Guard.

6 Likes

So let me get this straight. the people of Suramar dont count
except for all of people from Suramar who helped?

1 Like

You do know Tyrande is from Suramar, right? Are you arguing that Tyrande is a Nightborne?

5 Likes

No mana addiction, so no. But the fact of the matter is the people of Suramar helped the resistance. The Moon Guard was the greatest military order in that city.

Fun Fact! the Moonguard answered only to the queen and were utterly devoted to her, but immediately joined the resistance because they believed Xavius held her hostage. So the Queen’s own magical commandoes joined the resistance to
save the queen.

how is that for irony?

So great that the Highborne left them outside the shield for dead and didn’t share the Nightwell with them so they never became Nightborne. And then later the Nightborne tried to kill the Moon Guard personally in Legion.

And then turned against Azshara once they found out the truth that she didn’t need saving, that she was the one that summoned the Legion for genocide.

Which we already covered.

4 Likes

10000 years is kinda a long time

and when exactly did the people find out about azshara? Because it definetely was not under Ravencrest. And the moon guard were mostly wiped out in the begining (at least if the legion flashback is to be believed, illidans drained every moonguard at the fort)

Its been awhile since i read the books, but someone (either Malfurion or the time traveling dragon) inform the resistance about Azshara, and they flat out denied it. Towards the end of the third book i believe, a group of highborn leave the castle and then are believed about Azshara, but i do not remember if the war had basically ended by then and the sundering was happening.

The only thing i remember the highborn doing once meeting up with the resistance, was trying to stop illidan from creating another moonwell, which was well after the burning legion was defeated.

PS its almost 4 am here so gonna sign off soon

Sometime after Azshara personally ordered Ravencrest assassinated.

Sleep well.

1 Like

The leaders of the resistance indeed weren’t Highborne, but they were nobles; the pre-Sundering night elf regular military (and associated military mage castes like the Moonguard) were comprised exclusively of families from the old traditional kaldorei nobility, which predated the rise of the Highborne.

Based upon the layout of the zone (as well as the Broken Shore ruins once connected to it by the shattered bridge at the Temple of Elune), Suramar City was likely much larger pre-Sundering than the portion spared under Elisande’s barrier would suggest, as Elisande basically erected the barrier to protect the portion of the city where she and the other Highborne lived, and the rest (where the commoners and regular nobility would have lived) was blasted to the bottom of the ocean or otherwise broken and devastated by the Sundering.

The Moonguard traditionally only answered to Azshara herself, but they weren’t Highborne either. Like the noble houses in the army, they predated the ascension of the Highborne. (So rather than being specific to only her, their sole loyalty to Azshara may have originated in an overriding direct loyalty to whatever sovereign leads the night elves that dates back when they first discovered magic.)

While some of Suramar like the Moonguard and regular army would be part of the night elf resistance, those in Suramar who would become Nightborne (i.e. the ruling Highborne class) expressly didn’t aid the resistance after they’d sealed the Legion’s second portal. Instead they created the Nightwell and raised the barrier in anticipation of needing to be protected against a Legion victory.

1 Like

Y’know, I gotta admit though that I do find it interesting that just about the only thing that ironically saved their corner of the Highborne civilization was the fact that they did the latter.

I mean, considering how destructive the Sundering really was, no way Surumar would have survived it had it not isolated itself in its shield as it did. If the Highborne of Surumar had actually reinforced those of Night Elf Forces 
 those that survived would have found themselves in a nearly identical situation as the other Highborne after the Sundering. Their civilization in ruin, completely at the mercy of the Night Elves, forced to make a choice of abandoning their entire culture and joining the NE nature cult; be executed; or risk wandering into a completely unknown world 
 with no guarantee of survival 
 to find their own fortune.

The funny thing about Tyrande in Surumar is 
 she knows this. She knows that had those Highborne of Surumar joined the resistance, their fate would have boiled down to one of those three choices; because the NEs did deliberately participate in a cultural genocide of the Highborne civilization after the Sundering. The only thing that stopped them from killing of Dath’remar’s group themselves, was that Malf didn’t want that sort of blood on his hands 
 despite NE law stating he should kill them all. So, instead, he was satisfied with merely having them wander into a dangerous, unknown world 
 and had they died on the trip; well, thems the breaks.

There was no real “win condition” for the Surumar HB, save hiding and hoping things work out. They may not have known it at the time, but they made the right decision for their people and culture with that bubble.

11 Likes

Not really because this realm pretty much allows Blizz to literally crap on the dead too.

Looking at BFA and the current direction I can only see it spiraling further as we continue on Sylvanases junkie filled ride.

It might remove the sense of righteousness but it won’t dent to anger towards the devs and the horde in the slightest. It will further empower it.

Malfurion being involved with basically be kicking the night elves while they are down. The horde players may like it but not the Alliance.

I am not sure if they should be digging further with this story arc. I think more and more people are reaching the point of “Darkness Induced Audience Apathy” as it is.

4 Likes

Heh.

/10char

You have so much sympathy for the Highborne that wanted to enact not only cultural genocide but also literal genocide on not just the “nature cult” Night Elves, but all other races and cultures on Azeroth as well.

To this day the Nightborne are still running around screaming “Lowborn scum!”

4 Likes

oppressive cultures shouldnt be saved you know. THe nelves knew there magic brought the legion so they decided not to use it anymore, nightborne/highborne are like literally climate change deniers

Funny coming from an orc that has been a fan of Baine and even defended him when he pulled his betrayal for 1 single human :roll_eyes:

No I’m not. When have I ever said that I was a fan of Baine?

To be fair, I virtually defended every action taken against Sylvanas in BfA. I also defended Greymane in Stormheim too.

2 Likes