Shadowlands has strong Horde Potential

Dont you have civilians to be put putting into a tree somewhere in harms way or something?

1 Like

No real way to do that without also fighting for Sylvanas’s interests. Liadrin’s not any better.

Nope. Have plenty of time to point out how tacky you are.

That. Let’s go with that.

I certainly shouldn’t have said it was for Undercity

1 Like

As long as you keep showing your cringe. Im down.

Huh, coulda swore putting civilians military targets was standards night elf practice.

1 Like

I didn’t say it made Liadrin any better. Just suggesting a possibility for why she was there.

It is also notable that Sylvanas has broken the bonds of kinship with Liadrin, who now patrols Orgrimmar and telling her Blood Knights patrolling with her:

Lady Liadrin says: Remain vigilant for any signs of N’Zoth’s influence… along with any who cling to Sylvanas’s twisted ideals.

Oh I can definitely acknowledge that. They may have been thick as thieves, but Liadrin would have surely been reminded of Kael’thas’ treachery and his mingling with other-worldly powers, when seeing the events of BFA unfold. Perhaps at the onset of the war, everything appeared more…conventional?

Man, what I wouldn’t give for an epilogue that dives into some of these lore character’s thoughts on the fourth war.

1 Like

For genocide. Yes, I know.

2 Likes

Like so many other parts of the narrative, this just rings so hollow in my eyes. It’s literally just Blizzard trying to force Horde players to be against Sylvanas by saying “Look, everyone else is saying she’s bad, you should too!”

16 Likes

As you said, it’s all just powerless screams into the void.

1 Like

This is another reason why a look-see into these characters inner-thoughts would be fantastic. I bet Liadrin would have at least some inner turbulence she had to reconcile.

1 Like

I agree, one of the reasons bfa has been so bad, not only was bfas story bad, they actually managed to ruin other expansions lore, with the whole retcon of ‘she was evil all along’.

It really detracts from the story and sense of wonder about the character early in the story. Really shows poor establishment of story and character too.

10 Likes

It’s just indicative of the fact that they cut roughly 9001 corners with the story they told and didn’t do anywhere close to the amount of legwork they needed to do in order to get Horde players to buy in on a second rebellion.

17 Likes

MoP 2.0. Complete with its own Stonetalon, a.k.a. Before the Storm.

imagine thinking that sylvanas being evil was a retcon lol

1 Like

I actually liked the story of BFA and Sylvanas taking a more proactive stance. We “saw” her at the Wrathgate (or her lackeys) using the blight. (Retcon or not, I believe she had at least some knowledge, given her WC3 lineage and savvy). She moves up in cataclysm to executing these things herself (back to her Ranger general roots) with the siege of Gilneas.

Now, she’s head of the entire horde, and attempts to wield that power. Perhaps a bit clumsily - honestly not unlike Anduin at times, but for very different reasons. She’s finally resolved to execute a plan she’s kept dormant. A plan I don’t think we’ve fully fleshed out.

She’s ahead of the curve. She’s kind of like Medivh and Gul’dan (with a little more subtle cruelty): they both had powers backing them and were operating wel-down field of those they professed to lead.

I’m rambling, but I’m not really annoyed with bfa, but I don’t assume to be a smart one or master wordsmith either!

i axshually see bfa as Sylvanas’ Ascension story. Like Legion was Illidans, I figure this may become a recurring theme: focus on a beloved warcraft character, and some other smaller ones, while also exploring a cosmological domain.

1 Like

Oh i agree, they forced this story so hard it isnt even funny, but I disagree, i dont think the horde ever needed a second rebellion. They should of had actual morally grey things.

Biggest disappointment of bfa for me, there was no moral grey nor was the horde even a good villain. One that maybe has noble ends but unethical means. Nope saturday morning cartoon villain who we dont know wht she is up to.

Here is where i think your story falls apart abit, why everything feels forced (and why bfa was bad), is that we follow her around for over a year bein like wtf idek.

So, id say there are no real hints of this in the past, that she was evil, sure its easy to arm chair it now and attribute any mildly bad thing shes done in a fantsity universe, but what is really all that bad in a fictional world in the first place? In wow mass killings happen ALL THE TIME.

So what im gathering you are saying is that she was playing 7d chess the whole time is not forced? Is that was you are saying?

They shoulda just left it to peoples imagination for the earlier parts of the game imo.

1 Like

Yes it was bad, it was framed as bad then its still framed as bad now

1 Like

TL;DR:

Sylvanas isn’t playing chess so much as beginning her final moves on a board laid out long before. She needs subtlety for it to work, and that tends to obfuscate her real meaning - again to her benefit. The only person that needs to know what she knows is her. For now.

(Edit to add: I really like her as a character. I was cheering for her throughout the story and the cinematic we saw at BlizzCon. She is like a much cooler, less in-your-face, egotistical Illidan. She represents another character - like Illidan - that has transformed from elf to demon/elf. But as a woman she offers - to me at least - a different vantage on the whole “comedy/epic story” that is warcraft)

Not 7d chess, no. Rather That she was privy to things simply because of her circumstances (undeath) and that she’s led a unique path. Honestly I don’t see her revelations or insight any different from Illidan - and yet I don’t recall anyone thinking he was playing multi-layered chess. Sylvanas is just less…dramatic about it.

Where once the forsaken may have been arrows in her quiver, now all the horde and alliance are those arrows. I don’t think we know her true aim yet, but he story is building to a crescendo where I think we soon will know.

Hints of her being ahead of the curve are literally who she is. She is death and life. Well she was once life. She’s the only trans”humanistic” leader. She’s seen both sides and is in a Unique place to understand death - much like Alleria can understand the Void.

The whole “following her around and not knowing” was her plan. There is no reason for anyone but her and Nathanos - save maybe a couple others - to know the plan. Until the end. She’s been waiting. “She’s patient, that one.” So if that means keeping some loyalists in the dark a bit, so be it. Her ultimate plan was to continue the war to end more lives - she couldn’t let anyone know that otherwise it would have undermined the plan. However she sated some of “our” wants by making the horde appear strong, again sating the “innate” bloodlust. She put on a good show - smoke and mirrors

Ultimately She failed to continue her goal by allowing her cruelty to be on full display during em combat scene with Varok. This anger caused her to shout out her unfiltered feelings. She finally snapped and, in her mind, being surrounded by morons she form on ventrillo and just raged at her group.

However up to that point I think stuff was going well.

Hers something to ponder: do we ever see Sylvanas kill anyone in BFA other than the one forsaken in stormsong? I have a hunch there’s a reason for this and it has to do with the deal with the jailer. (This is beyond the opening cinematic and those poor homies that get ROCKED by her banshee wail).

1 Like

Thinking upon it now, in the context we have now, the Banshee form she used in the BfA opening cinematic probably was the first time that we saw her use her newly acquired powers.

1 Like