Shadowlands Feral Concerns and Problems

Honestly just bringing us in line with Boomy and even Resto is all that we need, that’s why I feel so frustrated at Blizzard, because they make other Druid specs bring the same as us yet so much extra.

• Treants
  • Innervate
  • A better and more reliable battle rez (at the very least no loss of form, but ideally instant cast so we’re not prone to dying before getting one off if a tank dies; this is particularly important now survival instincts is 1 charge - which is why that change is extra offensive).
  • No loss of form on cyclone (the more I think about clone the more I realise it will probably be super powerful in certain situations in mythic+).

The above 3 should be mandatory and honestly enough, but some additional:

• Ideally some way to gain access to typhoon + ursol’s combo.
  • Heart of the wild being more useful (by this I mean we’ll be running balance affinity, and bar some unlikely tuning error it will be pretty useless over bash; boomy on the other hand will be running resto affinity and can make good use of this, especially having innervate too).

I am firmly with the group that doesn’t see the need for LOTP if they fix the above, however if they keep such utility gaps between Feral and Resto/Balance then I would like to see LOTP. There’s only need for one druid in a group, and groups will want the druid specs that bring extra; plus Resto is probably going to be totally dominant again in mythic+, meaning even more need to keep Feral competitive with other specs.

2 Likes

I agree. Cylone needs to make a comeback to feral via PS procs.

I made serious use of it back in BC, back when cc was a requirement in 5 mans. Blizzard is hinting that this style of play will be returning in SL, as they want to push away from the “group up and aoe” method that is m+ today.

If not cyclone, then our other cc needs work. Hibernate need a rework to be usable on more than just beasts/dragons.
Or at the very least… add more beasts/dragons so it’s viable.

Roots is a solid option still. Not much needs changing here. But I would love to see the deep roots pvp talent applied to pve.

4 Likes

If that’s their focus, then sure. Feedback should be pushed in that direction. They said they’ll focus on class tuning once everything else is dialed in.

Besides, that covenant ability change is looking quite powerful.

Roots is good, but can cause problems in M+. Mainly with explosives due to the mob(s) being active.

One idea I had for Treants and Heart of the Wild could be

1. Making HotW baseline. Give it to us whenever we gain access to the Affinities and just keep it as is. I feel that with the focus on Druid as a whole being the fact that we’re a hybrid class, making is baseline makes sense.
  2. In that talent row, make Treants a class wide talent instead of a Balance only one. It can either be changed to grant resource based on your spec (AP, Energy, Rage, Mana (?)) or just make it the AoE taunt ability without any resource generation. Only downside could be that making it give resources makes it a throughput talent in a CC focused row.

Also, big yes on making Innervate baseline. It was the Druid utility spell ever since Vanilla.

5 Likes

True. ts also limited to melee, unless youre able to los/root a caster.
And a rooted mob will attack whoever is closest.
So its often not worth using.

2 Likes

I don’t have issues in pvp right now. My issues have been strictly PVE. However, I do like the change to BT. I’m not sure if it makes up for the nerf of SI. I am worried about feral in SL launch. But I have always worried about feral throughout the xpacs because they have always been ignored. I’m still trying to remain hopeful, and still plan to run feral (more seriously) in SL. I took a large break in BFA and that really screwed me over, in concerns for corruption and azerite.

2 Likes

Filthy Casual/ traitor/ whatever here

I would just like to add my vote to “bring back our soft execute phase”. That was my favorite thing about feral, and I am disappointed that wasn’t the direction they went with the great unpruninining. Spread the bleeds, move in and out of melee range, then burn them down with a barrage of bites. It was strategic and visceral and fun as hell.

6 Likes

Currently, the first row talent Lunar Inspiration still looks like an afterthought. As opposed to Predator, which works great for mob-fights and Mythics, Or Sabertooth, which extends bleed duration and increases bite dmg, singularly better for single target/long fights. Both predator and Sabertooth don’t add another 30 energy button into the rotation for a dot unaffected by mastery stat and have fairly good uses depending on the fight.

The current change still doesn’t seem to give much incentive to the current intent of feral’s design, or fill out a niche other than (it’s a weaker, slightly more costly ranged rake, not including the stealth-stun, and doesn’t scale with mastery) unless changes to fight mechanics might force a real demand for that extra ranged attack added to the rotation, not to mention with the changes to Bloodtalons, is an extra rotation ability that can delay setting up BT if poorly timed, I feel like it’s only reasonable spot is- maybe pvp if you enjoy the bleed and run-away tactic.
Imo, reducing its energy cost by 10, including it under mastery stat, and/or allowing a % chance for the dot to generate an extra combo point might give it better synergy. I hope there’s more news on LI.

6 Likes

Great ideas for LI but its a magic moon beam. I’d rather have mangle back that works like the old Jagged wounds. At least that feels more feral cat like? (Yes I understand we are Druids so having moon lasers isn’t out of the realm)

I agree the soft execute back for Feral would be fun, this felt like a big cat going in for the kill. Sabertooth just needs to go at this point. It was a good idea that just didn’t work out, cut the loss and give feral back to the die hards that can pull it off.

They work out and execute it they earned to do more dps. This should be the john madden that can perform 20% higher than the next best dps if executed correctly. Not what it is now, work harder and hit middle to top 3rd in dps … .if your not 1st your last and Feral needs a resson to be brought to raid team/M+.

4 Likes

That, especially. I don’t want a “are you Balance? No? Pass.” start of BFA again.

6 Likes

That would be cool.

3 Likes

I thought so.

You essentially double your rake bleed damage. You bypass the shred/rake damage plateau I discussed earlier while still setting up bleeds as our main source of damage. The rotation remains practically unchanged, aside from the 2x rake at the start.

And from a practical standpoint it’s rather easy to implement. Stacking bleeds are already a thing, such as our guardian thrash.

4 Likes

Unique Feral Utility…that is all.

8 Likes

Any new feral update in beta?

1 Like

After the leggos came in, and the conduits it doesnt look to be terrible.
Still lacking group utility while the 2 favorite specs have all of it… feelsbadman.
A form of LotP or mark of the wild would be something useful if they would just let it happen.

I usually run a class that I can tank, heal and dps on… unless bear gets a little love I may be going monk this time around.
Hate to leave my feral on ice, but at least until I get my main set up, it would have to sit out.

Unless… ya know, Blizz decides to listen to the bear folks out here asking for improvements.

3 Likes

If you mean recently… updates to the beta generally happen on Wednesdays so this question is probably best asked tomorrow.

You know you can visit the druid beta forum right?

Give Kyrian a go. It feels pretty good to play with on the Beta. The ability aligns perfectly with the hunter kyrian ability and let’s both of you do insane damage.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-druid-class-changes/490706/267

Loving the changes to Berserk. I think we can check off one from the OP’s list. Do note that the new baseline Berserk no longer has the reduced energy costs (that is in the talent) but you will get 3 combo points when you crit during it - Something to mention there; I still think having a 6th combo point (but having our abilities still cost a maximum of 5 points) would be good for those numerous issues where you overcap on combo points during high crit moments because it devalues crit.

Shred and Rake deal 60% increased damage while stealthed (or during Berserk).

Not sure what he means in the post about receiving 2 combo points after, say, a Ferocious Bite because I am only receiving one.
Overall good changes.

2 Likes