Shadowlands: Consolidated Priest Feedback (What does and doesn't work)

Exactly, the priest class as a whole is a mess. Holy is in an nasty state as well.

At the higher M+ I’m really beginning to be a detriment as Holy. Making the runs harder than if I played pally or druid I can’t output the DPS those classes can and maintain HPS making infinitely harder on my group. Nor do I have the survivability they do. Luckily the group I run with are all long time friends and they will put up with my gimped holy priest. Don’t even get me started arenas…

And and the disheartening thing, there are literally no changes to address these issues on SL Alpha.

The complete LACK of any communication is compounding everyones frustrations.

Yeah I do. I think a one minute post on their own official forums in the thread they created for this very topic would do nicely. It’s almost like they already repeat themselves on streamer Q & A’s, twitch, twitter, their website, and various forums because they realize different audiences are at each.

Edit: this will be my last response to you. You seem to thrive on being a contrarian. I say that not because you have a different point of view, but because of your utter lack of charity and your inability to NOT respond. You are too invested in popping the echo chamber to see your own bias.

5 Likes

I thrive on Priest discussion, because I play Priest. Hence why I’m in the Priest subforum. Arguments and debates aren’t a zero-sum game.

Just because I hold a certain viewpoint and am willing to defend it doesn’t mean that I’m a contrarian. I can guarantee you hold certain viewpoints that are classified as being in the minority but still will hold to them.

I believe entirely that you mean well, but you aren’t defending your opinions, you’re attacking others’ opinions – I daresay everyone knows how you feel on the subject.

Sometimes, it’s just better to let people commiserate without trying to get them to see a silver lining even if you are utterly convinced one exists. It becomes an exercise in frustration for both parties that advances the situation for neither.

Speaking from firsthand experience here.

11 Likes

^ when there’s true wisdom in a WoW forum post.

1 Like

I made a post about it on GD.

It seems like it’s not just the Priest forum that’s aware of how much Blizz is screwing up right now.

1 Like

any team with any kind of priest gets farmed. disc? lol just play a melee cleave into them, tunnel them and ignore the other 2 players. its really sad.

I’ve looked at my past posts on this thread and I don’t see posts where I’m attacking other people’s opinions. I will take issue with statements that are opinions that masquerade as facts, though.

You can not like Voidform. But I will absolutely argue baseless stances like removing Voidform at this moment when we’re already midway through Alpha, or that Voidform is inherently “unfixable”.

The one thing that really disappoints me is that Blizzard still hasn’t learned how to communicate effectively despite Ion mentioning multiple times that they want to communicate better and know they haven’t been great at it. Everyone in this thread is rightfully upset because there is simply no indication of what is or is not happening and I am quite certain that if any changes are made to Priest we will only know about them when they are being pushed out to the Alpha and not a moment before then.

I understand that they can’t always commit to a change until they know it is going to be pushed out, whether that be an experimental thing for testing, or something more complete and in the tuning-only phase. But for some reason Blizzard is so afraid of saying that something is or is not undergoing further changes until everything is finalized at which point they say they can revisit x, y, or z in a .1 or a .1.5 patch (but then they don’t actually revisit it). The only times they will ever state that they “know about” or have seen certain feedback is if they are directly asked about it in an interview and then use that as a way to deflect from having to give a more substantive answer. But generally, they just refuse to communicate until something is finalized except for a few instances of certain classes appearing favored by getting multiple responses from the Community team while the rest of the classes just sit there ignored.

The most Blizzard has done in regards to readdressing how they communicate is to give a little context to a change after the fact, in the form of “developer notes” in build releases, which they implemented after someone suggested how Riot Games does communication is more effective in addressing player’s concerns for LoL. The bigger part of the puzzle that Blizzard needed to take away from that moreso than adding a small amount of context into patch notes would be regular, honest posts about their thoughts on specific classes/specs/roles in their current state and what they think is currently working well, stuff they can look at improving, as well as stuff that they aren’t able to change or don’t think needs to change at this time. It doesn’t have to be every week but something they would put out a few times each year (and maybe more frequently during Alpha/Beta of a new expansion) just to address what they think is working great and stuff that isn’t.

They frequently say that they want feedback from the players and they are even willing to say that certain types of feedback isn’t helpful (eg. whining, complaining, being rude) but if the feedback is only one-way then it doesn’t feel like they genuinely care. Blizzard wants feedback, but the players also want feedback on what Blizzard is thinking of doing going forward, whether or not that might go live. That is it! Truly, all we want is additional context on what Blizzard understands we dislike as well as what they are thinking of changing with an understanding that it doesn’t mean any of this is guaranteed to happen. But time and time again they just don’t think that is a priority and don’t understand that feedback and communication needs to be two-way. Until they are willing to pull back the curtain and give players some insight into what is going on internally, people will give feedback that may be irrelevant, and more importantly, people will get frustrated.

It just feels like the people who are actually giving feedback and who are clearly very invested in the game are not actually the target audience that Blizzard is trying to develop the game for and until they actually learn how to communicate as developers we will stay in this cycle of players yelling to the void and then getting frustrated when it seems to have all been ignored.

11 Likes

See this is why you are a troll. Why do you care so much about shadow spec when you have said yourself that you don’t care for it and don’t play it…

you said it yourself you don’t play it even if they change it to a worse mechanic how does that affect you? You said it yourself it wouldn’t affect you.

but you wanna come here and start arguing with people, for what?

this conversation does not address you so leave and stop trolling.

5 Likes

It’s not the position held, it’s the apparent eagerness to argue the same point over and over. I also see a distinct lack of charitable interpretation of others’ view points. I.E. it’s that the person needs to be educated, not that they have a valid grievance.

4 Likes

You have to understand that some people consider themselves as the arbiters of truth. Never mind that unnamed poster doesn’t play shadow, they know shadow better than you and others and your statements are silly opinions while theirs are facts.

You NEED to be educated by this person you silly shadow players. /S

6 Likes

It’s unfortunate you think that way, because at no point have I ever positioned myself as such.

That’s pretty high comedy from you man. Every thing you say about shadow, +20 mythics, and blizzard’s intent is opinion masquerading as fact.

7 Likes

The name also doesn’t help, the guy thinks he is a God reborn. Even the god in question, Odin, is someone with perfect knowledge of the universe. His moniker pretty much means “Sole Arbiter of Truth”.

6 Likes

Except it’s…not? I mean, I don’t need hard data to say “The vast majority of M+ players haven’t done a +20”, for example. It’s an objective, factual statement, there’s no leeway.

Good try. You’re absolutely not the first to think that.

My very first username online --> Odin5.

On Warcraft 3, I changed it to Ultimate_Death, then Computer(Boss), then finally Odin(Reborn) in 2004, and I’ve been Odin Reborn ever since.

Nothing to do with Final Fantasy or Norse Mythology.

People make that association because it matches your personality.
Your first name was Odin, you picked that because it suited your ego.
You picked Odin Reborn because it suited your ego.

2 Likes

Uh, no, pretty sure I picked Odin because I liked the name at the time. That was also at least 18 years ago, so I must be pretty clairvoyant with regards to how my personality would change throughout the years.

But uh, thanks for trying to tell me why I picked my own name.

This is a very good breakdown, so I quoted it for emphasis.

Last response I anticipate making on this subject. I believe you’re not trying to be a jerk. But… you kinda are. You very rarely acknowledge a counter point and arrive almost like clockwork to let people know you disagree, but your only purpose in doing so is to… what? You don’t want changes to shadow or discipline. You don’t play those. You want changes to holy but you think most holy players on this forum are being unreasonable.

So your purpose in persisting comes off to all of us as nothing more than being a wandering self-appointed arbiter of truth, unmoved by any counter argument but presenting your own opinion with the force of fact.

I believe it’s not intentional because I also notice what you don’t do – your argument techniques are aggressive, and dismissive, but don’t carry with them implied attacks on the person, which is very rare for someone who is surely frustrated consistently arguing with an entire forum annoyed with him. I respect that. But you need to respect that others have valid interpretations of the facts before them that are contradictory to your own.

I think a very good example is the conflict over what sort of feedback people want from Blizzard. You’re right, they have acknowledged before that they are listening. Simply stating that comment again would not be new information from the perspective of someone merely compiling a summary of data a year from now.

However, information is more than the words said. Reiterating information in general increases its visibility; in specific here, it suggests that developers believe the Shadow community and Priest community have valid anxieties, and encourages players to continue giving feedback. It demonstrates respect. So while detailed feedback might not be possible at any given moment, most things are preferable to absolute silence.

Imagine you are at a restaurant, and the food is delayed because something caught fire; it would be nice if the waiter told us what had happened. Sure, we knew we would be waiting for food, and them letting us know we will be waiting longer isn’t really adding new information from a certain perspective, but it’s an important part of the relationship there. The waiter would certainly prefer not to come out until there’s good news or the food is done, but at a certain point, best practices are to keep communicating even if you don’t really want to, and I’d say my past experience is that they will continue to give you updates every 15 minutes or so.

Now, you may say, I am a patient customer. I don’t need this information, I can wait quite a while. That’s great! But not only is not everyone you, in this analogy you are also not hungry or thirsty, you just came because you like the atmosphere and you can watch the big game on the TVs. It would be unreasonable to expect everyone to be equally patient in the face of no new information as the customer who wants nothing.

11 Likes