Shadowlands Beta Forum: COVENANT SYSTEM DESIGN FLAWS DISCUSSION (2,4K upvotes)

Only people with beta access can respond to the thread. Anyone can like it.

Tbf, the post linked in the OP is well thought out and articulate. The most I’ve seen in support of the current system is “it stick it to the min/maxers” and “it has to affect gameplay or covenants wouldn’t be a meaningful choice” both of which are false.

6 Likes

Well that explains a lot. So people who haven’t even tested these are complaining. Time for blizzard to remove that like system if it is going to be abused in this manner.

And why you don’t see other Beta testers making an answer there? Probably because no one can give any argument in favor of Covenants.

Most people playing beta probably haven’t even seen that thread. I didn’t until you cross linked it here to compound the problem.

If I lose nothing by sticking to one, others can’t be gaining anything by switching freely. And we know people think they will be gaining something by switching freely, so no I end up with a stupid game designed by a bunch of people who in many cases barely play.

You don’t have to test a system to know if you’re not going to like a system restricted or not.

Testing how each covenant feels like is one thing, being restricted from being able to change things around is another.

I don’t have to know what being in chains in a prison in solitary is like to know that I won’t like it.

2 Likes

But you can switching them and easily.

You still didn’t answered the question. Why is no one defending Covenants with some good arguments?

Edit: You can change them on Beta, for “testing purposes”, they intend to add restrictions when it goes live.

1 Like

Because OP doesn’t accept them as good defenses’.

There is a million and one things to say the argument is invalid but HE doesn’t realize the same can be said about your argument.

Woah, wait. I thought it was only CE 1% players that wanted free swapping? Now it’s only people who don’t play the game? Or is it, maaaaaaaaaybe, a broader demographic…and MOST people want the freedom to mess around with weird builds or optimize themselves as best they can for whatever content they’re doing?

I most certainly did. Most people haven’t seen it. That is probably a huge reason, plus for those that did see it, it would take a very bit of courage to state your opinion when you have that massive amounts of likes. People get very nasty in some of those threads when they think everyone else is on their side.

“Meaningful Choice”: Buzz word.

“RPG element”: part buzz word and part making no sense. Covenants are not at war with each other.

“It’s going to make less than 2% difference in DPS”: false.

“30% doesn’t matter because of the level squish”: makes no sense.

4 Likes

Flat earther I see lol. Jk. Had to do it

No, Ion claimed it would be easy to change but hard to revert back. That wasn’t for testing purposes. It is pretty hard for anyone to even know how it will work because there is so much broken right now.

Because there is no good reason. The “best” and most candid reason is to force others into playing WoW more like a single player RPG because that’s how some people want the game played.

Bingo - tons of casual players are not in favor of the restrictions specifically because it won’t let them mess around and experiment for themselves - not necessarily for optimization, but just for the fun of it.

4 Likes

It’s the same, basically you can’t actually swap them, that system he intends to implement is for “buyers remorse”, he doesn’t expects for you to ever come back to your former Covenant, which means they are not actually swappable.

3 Likes

‘‘So we can enjoy it our way’’ Buzz word.

‘‘Feels bad’’ part buzz word and part making no sense.

‘‘Makes a 20% difference’’… looks at the content you do, statement looks stupid.

Get over yourself.

Imagine bashing someone’s profile while hiding on an alt?

Oh, because I do Heroic Raiding? Do you have any idea how many times we wiped at Ashvane on Eternal Palance? Do you have any idea how much 20% would have helped that?