Shadowlands Beta Forum: COVENANT SYSTEM DESIGN FLAWS DISCUSSION (2,4K upvotes)

This is a link to the the Beta forums were the OP discusses the issues of the system. It has more than 2000 upvotes.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/covenant-system-design-flaws-discussion/611673

44 Likes

I have never seen a post get that many upvotes before. Most I’ve seen has been a few hundred.

Hope somebody links this to Ion.

10 Likes

Very well thought out thread - don’t just glance at the upvotes, read it all! lots of good discussion in it from actual beta testers that are almost all in agreement. Crazy how healthy discussion looks when you take out all the people subbed just for the GD

It’s basically a translation of a Russian thread that also has about 600 likes in the Russian forums, so this Covenant debate isn’t just an NA WoW complaint

8 Likes

Meh.

How many likes a post/video/tweet gets never mattered to me.

A million people can be wrong.

One person can be right.

4 Likes

The person in disagreement could be right if he had a good argument. But in this case he doesn’t. The only thing people use to defend Covenants are buzz phrases like “RPG element” and “meaningful choice” that ironically don’t mean anything.

12 Likes

That post was a very good read. For the most part, I’ve been in a wait and see mode when it comes to the Covenants. However, this has definitely adjusted my opinions a little on the matter. I worry that this will be another Azerite issue where Blizzard will refuse to do anything until 9.2 and by then everyone will have or East been burned.

I respect what they’re trying to do, but when that many people are against it (I’ve never seen quadruple digits on a forum post) then it may be time to revisit your drawing board.

Edit: auto correct is a losing battle, I swear.

13 Likes

If 1 million people say 2+2=5 and one person says 2+2=4 then that one person would be right

If 1 million people say that hot dogs are better than snot and 1 person says snot tastes better then who is right?

9 Likes

Seems like a deliberately absurd dilemma.

This too.

The point of the comment is that majority approval or disapproval can at times mean little and shouldn’t be a primary reason for accepting or denying a proposition/assertion/argument.

The Earth was once the center of the universe. Funny that.

Now please keep your outbursts to a minimum; I am trying to brood.

2 Likes

If my job is to make money, I will pick one million people giving me $15 over one person giving me $15.

Hard math for some, maybe, but I’m a traditionalist what can I say.

13 Likes

I don’t think internet opinion is that simple.

I think that most people are full of bologna and say one thing but do another.

I think that people like to gang up and feel good to be around others who validate their opinion even if their opinion is uniformed or not even one they came to on their own but vicariously through some other person or persons.

At the end of the day, I think Blizzard can get away with what they wish to do despite any “outrage” to the decision.

The sky is always falling on the forums and here we are 15/16 years later and the sky still remains above our heads.

More like the sky is slowly sinking to the ground, although it’s hard to say since Blizzard stopped releasing subscriber numbers.

4 Likes

Perhaps, but I think that the covenant system won’t be as big of a deal as people are making it out to be or at least no worse than the situation that we currently face within the live game today.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it won’t be at the behest of 2,400 likes on a forum post.

I think for many it will be the last straw. Just like flying in WoD caused people to lose patience with other aspects of that expansion they would otherwise have forgiven.

On the bright side, there is no way on this green Earth that Acti-Blizz will let WoW fail. They’ll ax everyone involved before they let that happen.

1 Like

Don’t want to read all that.

At this point it’s not a discussion, just either the one group all agreeing and patting themselves on the back while the other write their own feelings. One disregards the other’s argument and they continue to bash each other.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t matter, like the greats of before they would be condemned by the public to live up a tower for the rest of their lives as an outcast. :rofl:

If it came to the point 95% of players were to say, “This game sucks! I’m done with it!” and 10 people tried to tell them they’re wrong, actually they’re not wrong,

If an expansion results in the loss of a good part of the playerbase, it was designed for some other reason than to make money. That would by definition be a failure.

Wow should not be a vanity project of Ion’s.

7 Likes

Ah,are you not suppose to link info from other forums in GD especial ptr ?

I would believe people will play WoW even if the covenants go live as they are right now.

There is nothing wrong with being committed to a single covenant.

And it’s healthy that not everyone is exactly the same.

5 Likes

Everyone is already not exactly the same though. We don’t need more on top of that. This game is already not “Overwatch” despite what Ion may think.

2 Likes

The article was a good read, they pointed out exactly why blizzard made the right choices regarding the covenants.

2 Likes