Shadowlands Alpha Voices

Occupying a hostile city is not a War Crime.

“Muh morality” is a narrative prison for the Alliance and it is the reason our story will always suck. The Alliance sucks because instead of being comprised of actual characters reacting to narrative events in a believable way they instead react as though they have the same meta knowledge that the players have and are constrained by it.

Genn Graymane attacking Sylvannas in Stormheim is the most believable and human the Alliance has ever been and it was a breath of fresh air because even though it was foolish you knew why he felt justified to. Fight me.

13 Likes

Occupying a island nation whos navy was destroyed is a waste of man power

Yeah except for the part where we left and they along with the Vulpera joined the Horde granting them a new army.

6 Likes

THe vulpera joined the horde after the war was over
during the war, after the battle of dazalore the Zandas where ineffective and didnt give anything else to the war, they where knocked out

The Alliance could have held the capital and used it for leverage during peace talks and or hostage in the event of retaliation.

6 Likes

nope its literally a island nation the alliance held by virtue of actually still having a navy, there is a reason why there wasnt a single zandalari in 8.2.5

The Zandalari recruitment shows that most of their military is still intact and them not being present in the next patch does diminish the fact that the Horde got a new nation added to their roster because we left to preserve muh morales.

6 Likes

It also shows massive civil unrest, and then the vulpera recruitment shows them unable to beat the naga.

honey your own reasons for staying are lacking, they are a waste of resources, you are literally grasping at straws to try to justify wasting alliance resources to hold a worthless island nation.

Eh, not exactly. The Zandalari legions were stated by Rastakhan to already severely depleted before they joined the Horde thanks to the large number of defections to Zul and the assaults by the mogu, blood trolls and Faithless sethrak.

Zul and his allies had gone to significant lengths to make sure that the army still loyal to the throne would be crippled when he made his move to overthrow Rastakhan and break the seal.

3 Likes

Not even that worked for me. You’d think it would be easy, having an enemy faction leader jump you and the resulting fight end in your death (for a moment), but WHOOPSIE it turns out Sylvanas was up to spooky stuff after all.

1 Like

In context of BFA alone? perhaps. But not in context of what Sylvanas was actually up to and their larger intended narrative. She didn’t care one whit about winning the war, she was basically the Jailer’s “guy on the inside” as it were, placed there through another of his associates with the goal of murdering as many people as possible to help Fuel the Jailor’s ambitions to break free of his bonds and have the Maw consume the universe.

2 Likes

And they basically erased it from the story.

I mean, in a logical world Sylvanas would have cited the open assassination attempt against her as a justification of the War of Thorns, but apparently she forgot? And the attack on Ashenvale/Darkshore was instead framed as a first strike?

None of that narrative existed prior to BfA.

Bringing up Stormheim was an awkward and risky thing for her to try, as she would of been in a position to have to admit she kind of was trying to enslave what amounts to angels to give her the ability to raise her own endless army of undead.

…which in context of Shadowlands, is actually sort of terrifying. I wonder what she ACTUALLY intended to use her theoretical Val’kyr slaves for.

As early as prepatch in the short stories they put hints she had a secret second agenda that cosmic forces like Elune would move to prevent her from succeeding.

The devs had already drawn up plans for this pretty early on, and they were looking at the story from a larger vantage point of knowing what was going to go down long before we knew. They just were very bad about how they chose to communicate and reveal all this.

3 Likes

Yes the fallout of it was very lacking.

BUT

That doesn’t take away from the action itself.

It actually did for me, though. Otherwise I wouldn’t have brought it up.

1 Like

I’m not sure how because the narrative treating it as being “right” due to context later does not diminish the importance of Genn making that decision. He did it not knowing what she was up to and I think that bit of context is important.

2 Likes

This event is all about story logic, the avatar of the only real god against Sylvanas, a fair match, who else can keep up, Saurfang? Anduin? definitely not, they’re in a league of their own.

It’s not about telling who’s better or who has what position, it’s only about the warfront around Orgrimmar which is a back and forth between the parties.

If the Horde wins, they destroy the night elf outpost on the border, if the Alliance wins, they enter an area of Orgrimmar at the side entrance, which is then sealed off, and no one else can go on, I mean, Orgrimmar has many gates and even saurfang say orgrimmar have many weak spots.

You’ve got the event wrong, because it would be a warfront, it would just swap week for week. Once Horde wins, once Alliance wins, it wouldn’t be a wipe-out of Orgrimmar.

2 Likes

She did cite it, do people not read the books

To Saurfang and no one else it seems… She didn’t use it for public justification.

2 Likes

I’m aware of the context. It just doesn’t matter to me in this instance.

2 Likes