Shadow priests

How are spriests in PvP right now really enjoying leveling one and just wondering there strengths and weaknesses in pvp

Badly. Strengths: if we are freecasting for an entire minute we can do damage.

Weakness: Just about everything. Mobility, damage when trained, CC, only having one school…

I felt like they had a decent amount of cc

Weaknesses: mobility, low dmg

strengths: ranged instant cc, can create a good chain by yourself pretty easily. Defensives, short cd very powerful defensives, and high team utility (leap of faith, mass dispel, void shift, purge).

fun but pretty damp class right now very much viable, think its best w/ other casters and i find that a snoozefest personally.

2 Likes

The mobility was mostly what I was worried about

spriests dont have low damage thats silly

6 Likes

Lol yes they do. They have to free cast to do damage and nobody lets them free cast. They dont have enough mobility to get open enought to cast. You have to eat kicks and cc’s

Can confirm 100% freecasting vs warrior dh rdruid. With triple swp and double vt traits. I squeak out 18 to 20k dps across 3 targets.

2 Likes

this is a stupid post

spriests have just about the highest control in the game

mobility weak tho

this is kind of absurd

i dont know if it’s a disconnect between good players and bad players but i dont believe you’ve never seen a real spriest do damage

spriests are capable of doing more damage than just about any other spec in the game in the right circumstances
double melee shut spriest damage down entirely but if you pair spriest with a destro you’re much more free to display a ton of damage and your utility makes both you and the destro near immortal

3 Likes

Idk why sp players act so hardly done by, class is boring to play but doesn’t mean it’s bad

Just watch wizk play for 10 minutes to see the potential

3 Likes

Yeah, we’re not bad at all lol. It feels really gear reliant though because they do tuning every patch to compensate for when we get more gear. Last patch SWP & VT got hit with an 8% nerf, and it’s gonna happen again in 8.3.

i disagree completely. Spriest has so much utility right now and so many negations/outs. It’s a low skill floor, high skill cap class.
You do not have to freecast to do dmg on SP lol… it just lets you do overwhelming damage.

2 Likes

SP’s fit into a wide variety of comps atm with their clutch instant CC combos and incredible defensive/offensive utility yet face a lot of counters and annoyances on the ladder. Whatever partners you choose to help you deal with some of these weaknesses leave you incredible vulnerable to others.

Mele cleaves in general really screw up SP’s. Tank trinkets, dh’s, and dk’s can really counter a vast majority of a SP’s rot. You need a dps partner that can offer the cc-chainburst to finish one of them pre-damp or a partner that can pressure them off of you with huge quantities of damage. Nomatter what you choose you will still have issues.

SP’s usually use their instant CC to counter cc chains or start one on the enemy healer. Windwalkers have tons of mobility/major cooldowns and unless your partner can lock them down with a stun they can usually retreat with impunity anytime you try to kill them. They also have a ton of healing that really screws with your rot.

Hpallies ruin your rot. Shadow resit aura and aoe dispel really ruin your output if their dps train you enough to frequently shut down your VT’s. Rsham healing rain dispel can also decimate your rot, but it has much more counterplay. Look to swapping or starting a cc chain on a healer when they dispel a VT out in the open. SP’s are incredibly strong vs many rdru comps however if you can prevent drinks.

I love playing with shadow, but it can be really frustrating when we run into certain comps and groan with a “unless they majorly screw up we loose”. There is a reason so many incredible SP’s have such an even w/l rate this season.

theyre annoying to fight.

have a lot of defensives like disperse, life swap, greater fade…

Not a difficult class. The issue with Spriest this expansion as it was during Legion is that the Spriest’s only strengths is in the reliance of other classes, and providing the utility.

While there are r1 spriest comps, the classes that play with spriest, don’t ever really need an spriest. Sure you can play rogue/spriest, but why when you can rogue mage. Or shadowplay with a destro, but the destro doesn’t have to play with the spriest, and play with rogue, warrior, dk, and whatever else. WW Monk/Spriest is very strong, but you can just play Walking Dead.

See the pattern?

The nerfs that happened in 8.3 were hard hits due to pve changes, because Spriest are too strong in that aspect. Spriest scale so hard with gear.

1 Like

I’d say they’re high B-tier. A lot of utility & cc, strong defensives, and can do pretty decent damage. Only thing keeping them from A-tier is hpal which is pretty meta atm and counters spr

1 Like

That and warrior comps like tsg and turbo, dk comps like walking dead are also common. We aren’t seeing any turbos yet simply because enh isn’t that great and ele is just better.

Other casters do outshine spriest but that isn’t saying that spriest are at all terrible.

has anyone tried god comp lately? I feel like it could be fun

Or shadowplay with a destro, but the destro doesn’t have to play with the spriest, and play with rogue, warrior, dk, and whatever else.

I know you have abandonment issues but please trust me buddy, I’m not giving up on shadow. I’m going to use this brokenass spec and act like the make a wish foundation for shadow priests and shamans.

Abandon me daddy

1 Like