Serpentstalker's Trickery

Possibly. We’ve reported it numerous times since the legendary was revamped, though. Even if it is, though, it’s still the best one for single target, iirc.

Blizzard just loves their RNG. There’s nothing fun about not getting something you need to get.

And it’s not even like it would be fine using other legendaries in the meantime either, because they are crafted. Once you make one you lost that Soul Ash. So it’s basically reserved for this legendary and not having it means no legendary at all.

look in group finder. there are 5man all hunter groups running and feign deathing to the 3rd boss. each run takes only 5 minutes.

Not necessarily. It depends on how you intended to build your legendaries and how serious your progression is.

If you are pushing for CE, and you know you will want Rank 4 of your best raid legendary ASAP, then yeah, don’t spend the Soul Ash.

I personally intend to craft all the legendaries I have any interest in at Rank 1 before upgrading anything, and I’m not pushing CE. If I don’t get Serpentstalker’s Trickery in the next couple days, I’ll just craft Unblinking Vigil and Serpentstalker’s Trickery will be my second one instead of my first.

People pushing CE will want to have all their bases covered by the next raid tier anyway, so it isn’t like you weren’t going to craft the best AoE legendary at some point.

I mean, I feel like SST is still a better option there. SST is excellent on single target and effective in AoE. Unblinking Vigil, especially now that they finally fixed the bug in it, is excellent for AoE, and does nothing at all on single target. It’s a very niche pick. SST is basically universally useful.

Personally, I’ll just sit on it until I get the recipe to drop. First, I’m pretty sure that Blizzard will hotfix buff the drop rate in the next few days, because this is a major painpoint for a lot of classes atm. Second, even in a non-CE guild, SST is simply more useful, imo. SotUV may be superior in AoE, but there are very few situations where exemplary AoE at the cost of ~8% single target is going to be a worthwhile trade, imo.

1 Like

I am the only member in a dead guild that I am maintaining for sentimental reasons, and don’t have the time or inclination to commit to an organized raid schedule, so the forseeable future of WoW (in the context where legendaries matter) for me is pugging M+ and possibly Heroic Raids.

I’d like to focus heavily on M+ this time around, and as far as I understand it, Unblinking Vigil is far and away the superior choice in that context.

It’s going to depend on dungeon and affixes. On a tyrannical week in a dungeon with tough bosses, you’ll definitely be favoring the better ST option. A legendary that gives you no dps on those fights is going to be a big no.

I mean, not really? Sure, you’ll kill trash faster, but it provides zilch for the boss fights. SST seems like a better all-around answer. It still benefits AoE, and provides a quite noticeable boost on single target. The only time I could see Unblinking winning that contest is on a Fortified week in a very trash-heavy instance like Sanguine Depths or Halls of Atonement. And even then, it’s questionable, imo.

That’s why you get both, then you can just swamp them between trash and boss fights.

Except you can’t do that in M+.

That is absolutely degenerate. No way should that be the gameplay that is encouraged.

What would you propose instead?

People joining group finder normal or heroic runs and leaving after the 3rd boss?
People running M0 once per week to get this item estimated at between 1-2% drop rate?

All Hunter groups running content using Hunter tools for the benefit of Hunters is a time honored tradition going back to LBRS Worg taming in Vanilla.

3 Likes

There should be mass bug reports and twitter mentions to the devs.
My issue isnt us finding a “solution”. The issue is the drop rate they put in.

People want to enjoy the game not feel like work. That is what turned ppl off about BFA.

So to be clear you think the drop rate is degenerate, not that people have found a creative way to farm it despite being the 3rd boss of an instance?

That’s how I inferred his meaning. That Blizzard’s terrible balancing of the droprates was forcing extreme farming behavior, which is extremely degenerate gameplay and absolutely something Blizzard needs to address. Not that it was a judgement against players for engaging in it, but against Blizzard for forcing players to.

got it on my first try, not sure about the drop rate but I felt great when I got that thing

Finally got mine after ~ 18h of farming. 70-80 runs

So the Mythic droprate is much higher than normal. Do you happen to know if you can just farm Mythic for it? My understanding is that the loot table for legendary patterns and items are different, so my thought was that you might be able to do this.

Have you heard anything?

Mythic is loot-lock. I’d be incredibly surprised if the legendaries and conduits were not on that same loot-lock.

Mythic is once per week.

Heroic was once per day, but that was lifted in a hotfix today - if heroic has a higher drop rate than doing the 5 hunter farm in heroic is probably the best bet, maybe 3 hunter 2 druid if you need a bona fide tank and healer. Not sure if Druids have anything worthwhile from that boss.