Serious question about Anonymity

Hello there. So my wife is in a very hardcore RAIDING guild. Over the last month, two of the men in the guild, one of whom is a Guild officer, separately verbally insulted her with sexual comments over and over again. Steadily getting worse each night. She would just brush it off at the beginning as obviously this type of guild produces a lot of testosterone. But it has got to the point where she no longer wants to log on. She has screen shots and multiple other things for proof and will be submitting a report to Blizzard next week to make sure these 2 get what is coming to them.

So here is my question: She is a hardcore raider through and through and wants to continue raiding. She wants now to move from Horde to Alliance and to a new server for sort of a fresh start. But therein lies the question… All of the high end guilds, especially for her role, want to see some logs or info from liek Raider io and other data sites. Will her new name/server be trackable in any way? We already started deleting all her Bnet friends and such… but I am worried she can be “tracked down” by the dbags somehow and try to harass her.

Hope that all makes sense. Basically, she wants to keep raiding high end world first stuff with her current toon, but be able to start fresh.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Just to touch on this a bit, Suncoast. We don’t accept screenshots as evidence. If she provides a timeframe when that chat happened we will look into it, but these reports tend to be fairly time-sensitive. Any inappropriate chat really should have been reported at the time it was said so I would encourage her doing so going forward.

Faction change and/or Transferring a character between realms effectively deletes the character, so the character is automatically removed from any guild association or friend lists (this does not remove them from BattleTag/RealID lists, she’ll need to unfriend them from her list if they are there).

That said, there are sites that do try to track characters, to varying degrees of success. We don’t have any jurisdiction over those.

To touch on what hasn’t been asked, but really is at the heart of it. While World of Warcraft is a social game, if certain lines are crossed, we want to make sure that they can be addressed. If your wife is being harassed, it is important that it be reported as such.

If it is inappropriate content, she needs to use the right-click report option to report it. She should also place those characters on ignore (which will ignore all characters on their account). If they are somehow circumventing the ignore system to continue to contact and harass them she’ll want to submit a ticket using the “Ongoing harassment” category. This allows us to start establishing a pattern of behavior that can come with fairly severe consequences if that behavior is not stopped.

I cover a good deal of the ins and outs of reporting and ongoing harassment here: Spotlight On: Harassment

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

While well-stated by Vrak, Just to elaborate a wee bit… What she needs to do, is when the inappropriate comments are made, /ignore them, and do not respond with any messaging whatsoever. Then promptly right-click → Report them. It’s easier to do it in that order because the report will remove the text from her chat window, making it a bit more difficult to ignore them. Manually typing /ignore CHARACTER will certainly work.

If they, or someone on their behalf, contacts her after that for any reason, immediately /ignore that new character, and put in a ticket for Ongoing Harassment. Explain that she believes this to be someone she already ignored, or someone contacting her at their behest. Mention the date and time that they sent the message as well. I usually go with server time, and mention that the time mentioned is according to server time. Something like “At X server time…”

She really shouldn’t have to worry about being tracked down by the sleezebags, they do that at their own peril. When someone gets reported for Ongoing Harassment, those penalties get really harsh, really quick. They’ll either learn very quickly that continuing to contact her will have severe penalties, or will find their account closed in fairly short order. Either way, the problem will resolve itself. There may be a little bit of pain left to endure to get to the end result, which is unfortunate, but things should start to get better fairly quickly.

3 Likes

Just to note - you have the order backwards. You report first, then ignore. (nevermind - this is not accurate.)

But the important part, “do not respond” is absolutely correct.

1 Like

If you report first, all their chat disappears. Then you can only ignore if you have their name with the correct spelling and their realm name.

2 Likes

Must be an addon issue on my end then. When I /ignore, their chat disappears.

I’m not sure overall. I’ve only used ignore to stop grouping with certain players while leveling. I usually don’t bother to ignore ones I’m reporting. I’ve never had to do both.

1 Like

So here is my question: She is a hardcore raider through and through and wants to continue raiding. She wants now to move from Horde to Alliance and to a new server for sort of a fresh start. But therein lies the question… All of the high end guilds, especially for her role, want to see some logs or info from liek Raider io and other data sites. Will her new name/server be trackable in any way? We already started deleting all her Bnet friends and such… but I am worried she can be “tracked down” by the dbags somehow and try to harass her.

As Vrakthis said, other sites will track your toon. If I recall, for raider.io and warcraftlogs.com it’s tracked by battle tag. Removing her battle tag from those sites should fix the problem. For applying to a guild that wants a raider.io or logs link, just ask if the guild wouldn’t mind her streaming that information over discord. I would think most guilds would be fine with that idea. If that’s not enough, you can change your battle tag on your account page. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Just to add onto the “ignoring” part - Right-click->Ignore preserves the chat as well.

She should instantly /report that; it should not even be a question.

That is what the blue said, I just saw, Vrakthris

Those guys win if she just runs. Unless they have some real-life connection, she is safe. So I’d just go to a new guild and report those guys if they ever bother her again.

2 Likes