Sept 8th-12th 2019 - WoW connection issues / WOW51900328

I cant log into Oceania - Yojamba.
I logged into English EU server Dreadmist and also tried Netherwind in the US, both works fine with “low ping” (not more than 290ms), I played around for 5 mins+ on each servers.

I’m using Windows 10.
ISP - My.T (Mauritius)
Wired Broadband
TTL default @ 128
No VPN

My question is - how can i log in and play on those servers and not on Yojamba(Oceania)? and i hope this info helps.

Server: Oceania - Yojamba
Internet Connection: Wired Broadband
ISP: Smartone Hong Kong
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : was ok yesterday using PureVPN from HK to Korea but today I quickly get DCed after logging in a character
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : dont have live installed so dont know

Server: Americas
Internet Connection: Phone Tethering
ISP: At&t
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : Windscribe connected to miami, i play fine using my phone with low ping before the ddos now i can’t connect at all if i dont change my ip using vpn, i live in oklahoma but pdanet shows my ip in dallas
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : Only play classic.

Server: Oceania - Arugal
ISP: ARTERIA Networks Corporation
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : No VPN
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : Classic only

ISP: M1
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : No VPN

UPDATE:

I don’t want to change the default TTL so I’m opting to make a change via iptables, be warned that what I’m about to show you can change traceroute, ping test, etc because it will be mangled by the linux kernel and you will only see point to point information when troubleshooting…

I found only 2 IP ranges SO FAR that need to be changed to some other TTL in order for us to get connected (for those linux users who got it all working!)

There is 1 block that is questionable but I’m done all the work I’m going to do about this issue because for now it works for me. I’m rather pissed off that Blizzard is being ignorant about this issue and won’t at least speak out about it.

Anyhow TL:DR

NA retail (maybe others, sorry only tried a few servers like Moonrunner, Illidan)

Range: 24.105.0.0 - 24.105.63.255
Linux shell command:
iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -d 24.105.0.0/18 -j TTL --ttl-set 128

Wow classic (again limited server testing)

Range: 137.221.96.0 - 137.221.127.255
linux shell command:
iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -d 137.221.96.0/19 -j TTL --ttl-set 128

This one is a unknown and doesn’t so far seem to be effected by this limitation:
Range: 37.244.32.0 - 37.244.63.255
Linux shell command:
iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -d 37.244.0.0/19 -j TTL --ttl-set 128

Enjoy. (There could be others, I’m sure there are)

To list the iptables commands do this:
iptables -L -n -v -t mangle
They will co-exist in the OUTPUT change of the mangle table

You can delete the entry by counting the lines in the mangle OUTPUT chain and doing this:

Iptables -t mangle -D OUTPUT [line number]

Be careful.

These commands on their own won’t survive a reboot, google how to save/restore and make iptables reload on reboot.

Internet Connection: Wired Broadband (Fiber)
ISP: TIME Malaysia (TT dotCom Sdn Bhd)
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : Mullvad (terminated in Sydney, Australia)

Internet Connection: Wired Cable
ISP:* Shaw Cable (Canada)
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : Yes, ExpressVPN
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : Both, also affects ticket support site so I am unable to post a ticket for this issue.

Internet Connection: Hardwired all the way to my computer. Gigabit fiber from Centurylink.

Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : Sadly couldn’t get one working properly to test before changing the TTL workaround appeared.

Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : Yes, it does. The TTL fix immediately gets past the hang at the “logging in to game server” screen that’s constantly failing otherwise.

still no solution on the dc error.
only in oceanic. remulos.
fine with mankrik sserver.

**Internet Connection: Tethered
**ISP: Verizon
Does a VPN fix the issue for you, if so, which one? : Yes, ProtonVPN
Is this affecting both Live and Classic connections? : I don’t have Live, just classic

Internet connection: Mobile.

One thing, when i share internet by usb as i always do doesn’t work, and when i share by hotspot wifi it does. On the same phone on the same pc. So why i can connect on my laptop via Wifi, and can’t via usb sharing?

I pissed and moaned a lot in this thread, so I thought I would at least come back and update that I am now able to log in and play with normal latency times. Looks like they made changes over night and the system is functional.

lucky. i still cant log in without using a vpn. if i do use it my latency is really high

2 Likes

I’m seeing this error still for both wow and wow classic doesn’t matter what realm i try to get on with classic get the same error.

Cannot log in and play without using a VPN. DDoS mitigation is incorrectly targeting me.

1 Like

ProtonVPN was one of the first things I tried. I tried three different servers and no use for me.

I just tried ProtonVPN and I was finally able to log in. Definitely need my IP whitelisted. They’ve got their DDoS mitigation turned up to 11.

1 Like

Thanks to a few earlier posters for the TTL suggestions.
For Pop_OS:
sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128
fixed my connection issues. (hopefully no side effects)

I agree that the problem now has to be that someone or something are blocking some of our IP address and that’s why some of us can’t connect. Cause when we change our IP by VPN usage or something else suddenly works fine.

1 Like