Sell me on pet battles

Pity so much rep to fly is held behind polemon battles, while piddle amounts behind normal WQ’s

Almost seems like a skinnering manipulation plan to get people to do what they don’t or else suffer from not achieving what they want (flying) bad enough to do things that they despise what ever those may be.

I don’t mind, but there really should be alternatives for those who want flying enough to prefer killing mobs at even 1 rep per mob.

Make it where no groups larger than five mans can farm it that way if you are worried about mass raid farms.

Actually if it wasn’t for flying I would get rep organically.

It truly isn’t my idea of engaging and fun game play, but flying makes wow good instead of an endurance test for me.

If passing on that bliz needs to just take flying out of the equation, buy it at 60 and fly, evermore, no hoops or tricks anymore than hoops or tricks for ground mounts.

Just a way to get around and grounding truly breaks the RPG experience and time gating for nearly a year has truly disheartened me.

at least they didn’t hide it behind mythic raids, M+15’s or high rated pvp ranking.

YA’ll do know most of your players do not do any of those things?

Glad you are having fun pet batteling, but don’t ask me to see it as anything but a mini game and not something that entertains me.

I’d rather come here and point out to you how aggravating it is to me than spend time setting up a polemon stable.

I’ve done a few of em, but I mostly set my youngun’s on my lap and let them do it when it happens as a way so they can spend some time seeing what I do when I"M sitting at the puter.

soon as they are old enough the plan is to have five family members and we have out own five man group for stuff and we sit and talk without even needing discord to talk.

1 Like

That sure was a fun quest chain(s). Please tell Jeremy to make more content like that for BfA (unless it’s there already and I haven’t found it yet).

Closest thing now is the murloc vendor musical chair trade mess for a mount. Bought like 8 cloaks to get the right one!

ps. For the Valkyre, go to our Pet Battle Forum. There are nice people there who are super helpful. One Alliance person held a Valk for me in Borean (had to send a lowbie Allie there) for my first one. My mage got another just doing Argent dailies (by the flying bone dragon).

1 Like

Pet battles/dungeons are like eve online if you did not start doing it (start collecting pets) from an early days you are honestly to far behind imo

You could probably swap a Boneshard for Valk and use blistering cold instead of haunt. The Wicked soul also has haunt but not curse of doom at the same time.

Really big adventure was one of my favorite achievements to do. Leveling elekk plushies to 25 was ‘fun’ and he is super adorable

1 Like

I tried, but ultimately I don’t play this game to play Pokemon. Besides, unless you started early, its a long uphill climb to get into current content in terms of pet battles.

I was also an avid pet collector since classic

I adore them. They’re one of the main reasons I still play.

:cookie:

3 Likes

I actually never got into it because I liked Pokemon so much at the time. I’ve been trying, lately!

Yep, I know.

It’s just a side thing that really only entices the collector type.

I’m sick of pets and mounts. I’d like actual content for my character to progress through not a stable of things that I can only pull out/use one at a time (or three while battling).

I get that people like it. I get that it’s “optional”. I just think the game overall is worse off the more it bends towards the collectors and that playstyle/mentailty.

To me we’ve gotten to an extremely bad place.
BfA is a poorly reskinned Legion.
Warfronts and IE’s weren’t really a hit.
Azerite still is a bit off and now we’ve got essences and benthic stuff.
It’s just a hodge podge of strange abilities/bonuses and RNG.
Now we’ve got these two new zones and guess what?
All the pet battlers have flying already.

Sweet.

I’ve tried them but either I have the wrong pets or I don’t have the pets needed to counter… I gave up even trying. It’s also tiresome if you lose and oh now you gotta either carry bangages, run to a stable to heal them or wait 10 minutes to try again. Thanks but I’ll just skip whatever rep reward they provide.

1 Like

Perhaps, but it’s not just any 20 pets, it’s a short list of particular pets. Not necessarily super expensive rare and exclusive pets, but it’s not just grabbing some of the local bunnies and squirrels from Elwynn and you’re on your way to glory. As a game of discovery, it’s lousy. You can’t readily Forrest Gump your way through it as you can with most everything else. Unless you really enjoy the frustration of watching your pets die repeatedly. Somebody is figuring this all out, no doubt that journey is suitable to some, but it’s certainly not to me.

The game is much deeper and more nuanced than, say, your rotation and beating up on random mobs. So, it requires a lot of study, a lot of gathering, and a boat load of leveling. It’s all guides, guides, and more guides.

Just leveling your pets is a long process, much less 20 of them.

I tried some pet battles myself. I organically leveled up 6 pets to around 11. I did this with a lower level toon in order benefit from the XP. I think the WQs in BfA are actually “level agnostic”. I recall being able to do one with some of my squad. At least I think I was successful, I know I tried, I don’t know how many times I failed doing it. And this was with a list of pets suggested by others (I think it’s the Anubis pet, a mechanical death wheel thing, and maybe some kind of bird).

Also, you can’t easily buy your menagerie. I had someone kind enough to send me a L25 pet - and I was unable to add it to my collection, as I have no L25 pets.

What I have done, though, is I learned you can level a pet to 25 with the pet charm currency, so I’ve been collecting those from the mission tables. Unfortunately I think this is a necessity to “get in to the game”. I have not done it yet myself, I haven’t leveled up my 6 pets. And then, you play the game of using the the high level pets to carry low level pets against high level battles and get lots of XP (so I’m told).

So, to me, the barrier to entry does feel quite high. The coins will help, but I haven’t really started the journey beyond get one or two leveled up – I haven’t even fought with them yet. I haven’t tried the carry technique yet.

Apparently the pet battles are important today to get the Rep from the new zones toward Pathfinder (“important” may be overstating it here, but they’re certainly a component for those trying to max out their rep and get flying as fast as possible).

In summary, while it has casual game play, I do not feel it’s a casual game. It’s definitely a deeper sub game within WoW than one may think. Perhaps I’m wrong, and it’s just my inexperience with it talking. But it feels to me that it does take some time investment and research to be successful with it.

My problem with pet battles is that there is a “best” pet. Seems odd that we would collect all these pets and then only a handful would be strong.,

Everyone pretty much tells me to get the same 2-3 pets to do the world quests in the new zones.

It just seems weird to me

There are all sorts of strategy guides out there for a variety of pets.

And being able to just head out after certain pets is a good thing from my viewpoint.

This website does an excellent job of giving alternative strategies. I really don’t think it is all that hard to get into at all.

Takes a few hours to pick up enough pets to do most of the world quests providing you have a level 3 garrison (for a lvl 25 stone) or have one pet at lvl 25 already.

As for leveling pets there is a pet battle WQ on broken shore - Nameless Mystic which is great for leveling pets. It is actually up now. If you can a few alts that have access to those WQ, you can get a pet from lvl 1 to lvl 25 in a few battles using two pets you can normally buy at lvl 25 from the ah - Mechanical Panderan Dragonling and Darkmoon Zepplin and your lvl 1 pet who doesn’t even need to enter the battle.

1 Like

I dont think WQ Pet Battles in Nazjatar is that easy. It is challenging. I somewhat jumped out of joy when I beat one. Becoz it takes like 3 to 8 tries before I figure out how to beat those Pet Bosses.

Of course, you have to have 3 pets that could stand out against these bosses. It has to be rare and level 25s. You have to have at least 3 pets that are good against certain types. There are 10 types : Aquatic, Beasts, Dragonkin, Humanoid, etc. So thats 10 times 3… at least 30 level 25 rare pets you need to collect to secure more chances of win. Collecting them is actually a chore of activity.

Good thing I started with few level 25 rare pets when it started. I got hooked during Plants Vs Zombies era when I got Singing Sunflower. I got 3x of them. The 3x Singing Sunflower was hard to counter back then. BTW, dont use them on current Nazjatar Pet Battle WQ. They would be destroyed easily.

If you found those addicting, definitely give pet battles a shot. If nothing else it’s profitable. I bought my auction house dino mount selling all the rare pets I had collected

But that’s my basic point. Without the guides, you’d be dead in the water. It’s just the nature of a complicated battle system like this. And the issue being that you can’t just level up “however”, you can’t just grab what ever pet looks cute, or fierce, or has a cool effect. Because there’s a gazillion of them out there. But the vast majority of them are “the wrong ones”.

So, off to the guides with you. It’s like a new player picking up 1000 Magic cards and learning deck building. Because you have to play endgame, pretty much right away, or it’s a long, long road – and even then, perhaps not even successful if you do it all yourself.

1 Like

It was my understanding you had to put your low level pet in the battle for at least one round for them to get XP (and it has to survive).

Not on that particular fight for some reason. I level up all my lvl 1 pets through that one fight and have been doing so for years now (well all my lvl 1 pets outside of super squirt twice a year).

The strategy I use is actually a little different than that one but I am sure this one works as well. If you have the pets just go and try it today.

If you fly around the outside edge of sholazar basin (northrend) using a /target macro, you should find them pretty easy, I ran across them all the time while trying to help my wife catch the rare leopard there.

If you dont have much luck. Feel free to add me and I’m more then willing to help you hunt one down (that offer goes for anyone) just be aware I’m horde only.

1 Like