Season of Discovery has more players than Retail

They have to try and make everyone as miserable as they are.

3 Likes

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Cause it won’t. Fads never do.

No wonder you got flagged.

It takes me less thwn 6 minutes to find a group for timewalking and there are dozens of groups for mythic plus.

Retail is doing just fine.

1 Like

How many servers does SoD have? And aren’t they pop capped pretty low?

Something I’ve noticed recently, servers have a default shard for places like Valdraken, and apparently my server now has more than one because most of the time guild mates and people from my friends list are on a different one because we have to group to see each other.

Or it’s bugged, which might be just as likely.

after locking the rogue tank rune behind a rep grind and gold sink, i don’t think i’m staying.

2 Likes

Valdrakken isn’t. I know someone on a low pop realm who needed help getting the Hallow’s End achievement that involves throwing Jack-o-Lanterns at characters of like 15 different races, and it was at a time that very few Americans are logged in, and I really didn’t want to log in and out of that many characters, so I just logged onto an alt I have on Tichondrius and then invited him to come to Valdrakken and we got it done in like probably less than 2 minutes because it was so packed

I don’t believe that is true, even if you only mean major cities on any one server. For certain, nobody is in Stormwind and Valdrakken at the same time. And I can’t believe you mean major cities on all servers…

Yeah it was a lot of fun. Though having 50 people trying to flag the same mobs was annoying.

Blizzard did do a very good job with SoD.

This is just pure curiosity on my part , the reality to me is I don’t actually care one way or the other, but what source of data is he using for these claims?

If it’s just him looking at servers and gauging by his own opinion based on the experience… I have some things to add…

I’ve also played SoD (not much but a little, unlike the exuberance of many my excitement for classic has a definite ceiling no matter what you do to it— not a slight to the game just a side effect of having played the “poop” out of it for untold hours originally back in early 2005 …a been there done that thing) to check it out.

Yes it was very crowded the most players I’ve seen since DFs launch day.

But perspective to the context is sorely needed here…

There’s only one normal server. The rest are pvp or rp pvp even still there’s only about 10 servers (I’ll admit im guessing here so adjust for accuracy + or - a few point is I remember a very short server list)

Add in the launch of something “new-ish” will always get early attention.

So in sort I dint know I buy the claim SoD had more players than retail. However I’d like to see actual data with a sited source beyond some just looking at the game after they log on and by their feelings or opinions make a declaration of “yeah this has more players than all of retail “.

This is the way.

I’m enjoying SoD so far, but I just recently upgraded my PC after 8 years of using a not-so-great non-gaming PC, so I’ve been enjoying retail loading at lightning speeds and having GRASS EVERYWHERE (it’s the little things in life, ok). Plus, well… I was mainly looking forward to playing SoD with my friend group, but life keeps getting in the way of us all being available at the same time to progress together.

Bestie and I are slow-leveling at the moment trying to keep up with my other friend who has to play at iffy times, and that’s fine for now. Though I admit, I’m impatient to get my warlock to 22 for my incubus. :dracthyr_crylaugh: But I’m really enjoying things so far - though it does feel a bit like the HC servers, where there’s a ton of people in the starter zones, so everything is dead or massively camped and people are fighting for quest mobs. Which isn’t… super great, but I expected it.

I just dunno how I’m gonna level more than one character for SoD, at the rate I go.

A brand thing that only has one server per play style has lots of people in those realms.

Say it ain’t so.

Give it time.

Yeah getting quests done is a pita with this many condensed players in the early zones. In Fargodeep Mine, every single kobold spawn was camped by a player.

Nah… he was wrong, just his wording was terrible, it wasn’t specific enough.

People absolutely DID want Classic. It’s just… they wanted to dabble in it for a couple weeks, relive that nostalgia, and then move on.

Brack’s was just speaking PURELY from the developer side of the argument: once we create this thing, we have to continue to SUPPORT this thing.

On the Dev side, he was right; on the player side, he was wrong.

I’m fine to admit I was SUPER excited as they talked about SoD!! It sounds SO COOL!!!

And then as soon as they said “coming to Classic” I was said “lol… ok, I’m out.” I can only hope they’re simply testing the idea in Classic before they bring it to Retail. It’s such a great idea, that will just die a slow death in Classic.

1 Like

Took 37 seconds to fill my m+ group as a tank.
Tool 16 sexonds for my dungeon queue to pop.

No issues over here

probably because classic players listened for a decade or so from retail players the wall of no, classic will never happen.

1 Like

Not what they meant lol. They’re trying to say Valdrakken is always full because it’s coded to be shared (or connected) cross-realm with fewer shards to make it feel full. I have no clue if that’s the case or not personally, but that’s what they’re getting at.

Ok and what’s your point?

Well, that’s a stupid line of reasoning. “They was jerks to us so we’ll be jerks to them”. But then again, what do expect from the mentality of gamers these days

1 Like

Overtaken?
It’s brand new.
No sh** everyone is going to flock to it and go with the hype.
You’ll see in a couple weeks, a month MAX that things will settle.

I have about as much interest in going back to classic as I do having to deal with another round of sciatica.

Those options are only picked when you cant create new content. Classic has to find ways to reuse assets and content to keep people around. Retail just comes out with a new expansion.

Retail has more new stuff than SoD does, though?

The entire reason SoD exists is because Classic cant have actually “new” stuff.

The MMO genre over all is not as popular. It has nothing to do with Blizzard. Unless you are saying Blizzard also killed FFXIV, etc?

I knew it would happen, because it happened in other games like EverQuest.

I knew it would happen, because its an incredibly cheap way to get some seasonal players, because at their base. Thats what classic players are. Seasonal. Its why they have to regularly do something different. A new classic. Something like SoD. Because Classic, alone, isn’t enough to get people to play for any worthwhile duration. Despite what the people asking for Classic originally claimed.

2 Likes