Season of Discovery has more players than Retail

I logged into my realm recently on Retail and it took so long to find groups.

Solo Shuffle showed 20+ minutes, LFG for M+ felt super slow and I couldn’t even find a BG queue for 10 minutes.

I pop on over to SoD, and there’s literally over 100k+ people on these servers including every major WoW personality and content creator.

Blizzard did a fantastic job with SoD, and I can’t believe it’s already overtaken Retail in the short time it’s been around.

12 Likes

Oh. So this guy is still doing this bit. The commitment to the troll is both impressive and sad.

83 Likes

I will try that in like 3 weeks when the pop isn’t so high, but prefer to play retail long-term. It would just be a fun little extra game, nothing wrong with enjoying both.

19 Likes

That’s nice, dear.

11 Likes

It’s still classic and boring to me.

23 Likes

I will never understand why classic players feel they need to tear down retail.

They seem so desperate to prove something, just have fun and play.

47 Likes

As long as the bait keeps getting bitten there’s bound to be more.

Also, since its Sunday it’ll be up for awhile so enjoy the replies.

7 Likes

SoD is popular, it’s the novelty of seasons. Its a model that works well with ARPGs for a reason it keeps things fresh and changing and takes very little work to make “new” content as it’s all recycled. The issue with seasonal content is mostly that people bet bored of seasons 1 to 2 weeks into the season and start to drift. Still though, having a cycle does mean there will be more interaction with the game more regularly provided they keep doing seasons and make them interesting each time.

Valdrakken’s full of people at 12:30 AM pacific time (3:30 AM east coast).

6 Likes

Doesn’t classic have far less servers than Retail? Also of course SoD is packed right now. But don’t worry, it’ll be toned down in a month, 2 months tops. Just like… mmmm… Season of Mastery hype, BC hype, WOTLK hype, and Hardcore hype. This is just another flavor packet of Classic the playerbase will get bored of. Then they’ll cry to Blizzard to make another flavor because, “you think you do, but you don’t” and all that jazz.

7 Likes

Something about

2 Likes

Because classic hypers finally got what they wanted, and if they admitted it actually wasn’t as good then that would make them wrong and that can’t be allowed to happen, so they have to pretend retail isn’t that good and tear it down every chance they get or the house of cards topples over.

They’re lying to themselves more than they’re lying to you.

11 Likes

If classic was actually any fun, Blizzard wouldn’t need to invent these new gimmicks every couple months to try and get people to come back.

J. Allen Brack was right, people DIDN’T want it. Even though they thought they did.

16 Likes

People can enjoy Classic more than retail. Even the ones who make these stupid threads. There’s no need to assume they’re lying about it.

It’s not a matter of fun, though… There’s literally no new content without them coming up with “gimmicks” like this. At least not for those who just want to play Vanilla-era stuff without the expansions.

1 Like

okay well how long are the solo shuffle queues in season of discovery?

3 Likes

I don’t know, I would certainly love it if they did some of these interesting gimmicks in retail. Some of it is literally just “here’s an ability you’ve already had for 10 years on retail”, but some of it is stuff I’ve wanted but not had on retail for a long time.

To be clear, you won’t find me on sod because the game is still an utter turd to play without any quality of life to speak of, but man do I wish they had the stones to do new stuff on retail sometimes rather than following the same formula forever.

They do new stuff in retail, like the new talent trees. It’s just a permanent addition rather than a niche seasonal gimmick.

6 Likes

oh great. you’re back.

6 Likes

Considering I’ve literally never heard of your server before, maybe that’s why?

Sargeras and Stormrage are absolutely popping, to say nothing of places like Illidan and Area52.

1 Like

Both have it’s downsides.

1 Like