Season 2 Updates and Reminders

Greetings all!

As we prepare for the launch of Embers of Neltharion, we want to bring attention to a few upcoming Season 2 updates so that players can best prepare for all of the new content.

M+ Keystones

At the beginning of Season 2 (May 9 in this region), Keystones will drop 9 levels in addition to any normal weekly reduction that may have occurred. Here’s what that might look like:

• Example 1: You completed a +15 the week of May 2-9, but didn’t time it. The resulting key would normally drop by 1 level, because your highest key wasn’t timed (15->14). It will then drop an additional 9 levels due to the season rollover decay (14->5).
  • Example 2: You timed a +15 the week of May 2-9. The resulting key would normally be level 15, because you had timed the 15 last week. But would then drop the additional 9 levels due to season rollover decay (15->6).

Revival Catalyst

When the Catalyst opens the week of June 13, all players will receive a charge for every one of their characters. These will function the same as they always have - if your Main spends a few to convert items early in the season, it doesn’t impact your alt (or any alt characters you may make in the future).

Unlike in Shadowlands Season 3, there will be no cost associated beyond the charge spent. No Cosmic Flux, no Dragon Isles Supplies, no Apexis Crystals - if you’ve done the work of obtaining a convertible item, that’s enough.

We’re also working to make it possible for players to convert Season 1 items for transmog purposes. This functionality, however, will be disabled for a few weeks as the Catalyst will be unavailable for a time, starting when Season 1 ends. Our goal is that players who are trying to use Season 1-level gear to get their Season 1 transmog set will only need an appropriate piece to convert. The cost will be free and players would not need to accumulate any kind of charges.

Great Vault

Going forward, for raid slots, killing a boss will now give you a chance at all of the previous bosses’ loot. For example, if you’re invited to a kill on Sarkareth, you’ll be 1/9 towards vault progress for that week. However, you’ll now have the loot from the entire raid in your vault pool for the raid slots. This change will go into effect with the first week of the Aberrus raid in Season 2.

Thanks again for your continued input, and please leave any feedback you have regarding these updates below. We are very excited for everyone to experience Embers of Neltharion next week!

5 Likes

Thamks friend

Why did you take all the feedback of Season 1 catalyst being delayed too long and just do nothing with it?

12 Likes

They don’t want all the funnel services to go under. They get a manic month every season when the big CE streamer wallets come out.

2 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you, especially in regards to letting us still get our season 1 transmog sets through the catalyst for free without needing to get chargers. I myself didnt understand the system when it first came out so I am missing a few pieces for my main but was able to correct the issue with my alts. Now I can complete my Main set! Forbidden reach will be a lot less populated once the patch goes live so I thank you again for doing this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please make “very rare” drops separate EXTRA personal loot or something. Feels real bad for tons of power to be locked behind these items and never see them actually drop in the entire raid season. Full cleared every week with my guild and we NEVER saw the ring from Broodkeeper drop. Was very demoralizing to never even see it!

8 Likes

The catalyst is supposed to be bad luck protection (or catch up for mains or alts raiding later in the season), not a system to ensure every piece of gear you get in the first few weeks is tier. There’s still supposed to be some level of luck in attaining tier sets early.

5 Likes

oh god thank you

4 Likes

Why? The raid vault is already bad enough as it is. Instead of making all bosses worth killing, you make it so you’re forced to get loot from bosses with terrible loot tables caused by rare loot and the nerfed lower ilvl of the first half of the raid (what was the reason for this change, again? M+ still gives way better loot for less effort).

This may be the dumbest fix to a problem I’ve ever seen. If people are avoiding killing bosses because the loot is useless maybe the solution isn’t to force them into it.

11 Likes

So my chances of getting the “very rare” class trinkets goes substantially down even if I only kill Echo of Neltharion, because now my 1 vault slot has 10x more possible loot items?

Thanks…

12 Likes

Why are you making it even more impossible to target raid loot? Not everyone has the time or resources to run more than normal and LFR for a chance at certain transmog and / BIS items.

I so hate the vault. I’d rather have the coins back. At least then the frustration of not getting what I need is instant instead of a week long wait, and there is a chance of trying for that item again.

4 Likes

Honestly I think this kills season 2 even more than it already was going to be.

The catalyst not coming out until after D4 releases means many people will never have a single set piece before they move on from Dragonflight S2.

3 Likes

Will there be a system in place to upgrade existing crafted gear?
i.e. if I were to craft a 405 weapon today using a primal infusion, will I be able to collect a new resource and upgrade the same item to a relevant ilevel for season 2?

The enchanted crests and infusion section talks about what I think you’re asking about. It’s basically the same as S1 except enchanters have to make the infusions now with crest drops + enchanting mats.

Moggies! :dracthyr_love_animated:

That’s part of it. We also need the S2 version of the spark of ingenuity to upgrade crafted items to S2 levels.

Spark of Shadowflame – created by combining 2 splintered sparks of shadowflame. And going off the tooltip, we get one splintered spark per weekly quest, so the combined spark is once again timegated to 1 every 2 weeks.

1 Like

“If people only play for 1/5th of the season they may have bad gear” isn’t really the comment you think it is.

There is a way to get a guaranteed piece of tier.

Set pieces have a much much higher chance to show up in vault.

Easier to max out vault for set piece chances.

So over all, they made it a lot easier to get your pieces. If with it being a lot easier to get your pieces, if you dont get a single piece…you were either extremely unlucky or just didn’t play.

2 Likes

I think the various forms of time-gating this time around will discourage anyone from bothering to start the season in the first place more than it did for season 1. They were already probably going to play it less than they did in S1 if they play at all, but why bother to even start if you can’t accomplish much in the first month before you take likely a large break to play D4 (as a decent chunk of WoWs potential playerbase is probably going to do).

The idea is new sets are one of the attempted hooks to get people to come back for S2 as many people already left at some point during S1. If you were considering trying out S2 in the month before D4 releases, but then see that you can’t actually try out X Y or Z because of time-gating in that period, you’re less likely to give it a shot at all.

1 Like

No it’s not. They want you to actually play the game. God forbid they want people to not have BiS the second the raid releases.

The Catalyst is not a primary gearing facility. It is a catchup mechanic and bad luck protection.

The amount of complaining raiders do about the Catalyst, the more and more I’m on the “Just remove the Catalyst” bandwagon. If you can’t accept the fact it’s not a primary source of tier, but catchup/BLP, then you probably don’t deserve to have it as even that.

How bout you try to describe something without using something like a horrible real life disease that kills people as a comparison?

6 Likes

What’s the point of s1 costing nothing if you can’t get any more s1 items? It would have been great to know before, would have kept low stuff, had I known I could convert them for free down the road.

1 Like