Screen freezes: Affected configurations

Some people have been experiencing an issue where the game freezes for several seconds and sometimes recovers, but sometimes takes the whole computer down. Discussion on this issue can be found here.

I’ve been talking to Blizzard about it and they’re trying to track down a root cause. If you’re experiencing this issue then can you please post your OS, CPU and GPU in this thread?

I’ll get started:
CPU: 3.6 GHz i9
GPU: Radeon 5700 XT

This is just a ‘gathering’ thread that I’m going to send to Blizz so to avoid clutter please keep discussion in the other thread linked above.

1 Like

Here’s mine:

CPU: M1
GPU: M1
Monitor: Dell 4K, connected via HDMI

Note: I’ve had success in dealing with this problem by power-cycling my monitor, as described in this thread: Mac M1 - Screen Freezes - Fixed by restarting monitor?

This solution doesn’t prevent the freezes but it allows me to recover from them much more easily than before, when I was rebooting to recover.

It’s also worth noting that I did not suffer from this issue AT ALL until I upgraded to BS 11.2.

Random Freezing always in raid. Has happened 4 times, one recovered, 3 needed full restart.

CPU: 3.8 GHz i7
GPU: Radeon Pro 5500 XT

Mac M1 Mini user here. Just started happening today after updating OSX to 11.2. Seemed fine until I grouped. First time was outside the Spires of Acension instance. Rebooted, went into the instance with group and then it happened twice (rebooting to fix each time) before we even got to the first boss (burnt the 15 key).

What happens is the screen freezes (on wow, not a black screen), but wow is still running and seems to be working (I can hear my mount moving if autorun was on, and can hear other environment sounds and players).

Previously on 11.1 I would experience occasional brief screen freezes (1-2 seconds). Not very often though.

Mac M1 Mini
Chip: Apple M1
Memory: 16GB
Primary Display: DELL U3415W (3440 x 1440)
Primary Display Connection: USB-C to Mini Display Port.
Secondary Display: BenQ 1080
Secondary Display Connection: HDMI -> DVI

I’ll try without my second monitor connected and see if that fixes it (and report back).

I suspect this is related to Big Sur’s external display issues, and not specific to WoW. 11.2 release notes mentioned something about fixing HDMI -> DVI issues…

Switching my DisplayPort version on my monitor to 1.2 seems like it might have fixed it. Haven’t tested in Spires yet (Spires is a bit stressy on the video), but ran a Mists without a problem.

There’s a reddit megathread about 11.2 here where display issues are being discussed. https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/lad13j/macos_big_sur_112_release_megathread/

Nevermind, not fixed. Seems to be a problem with the second monitor. Could be specific to the HDMI -> DVI.

macOS Big Sur 11.1
3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
96 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB
Dell S32220DGF (2560x1440 @ 165hz via DisplayPort)
ASUS VG248QE (1080x1920 @ 144hz via DisplayPort)

Reliable reproduction: Heroic Sludgefist, graphic settings on 7. Triggered in LFR too, but it took longer.

MacBook Pro (15", 2016)
macOS Big Sur 11.2
Processor 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
Razer Core X enclosure
eGPU AMD Radeon Vega 64
Secondary Display GIGABYTE 27" QHD Curved (G27QC)

EDIT: provided some context in the other thread: Freezing of screen (GPU crashes) retail and classic - #102 by Bellexandria-exodar

Crossposting from the other thread, for those that didn’t see it:

Blizzard reckons that there isn’t much they can do. Apple’s driver is crashing.

If you haven’t already logged this with Apple as a bug, please do so. I logged it months ago and there’s been no progress, so we really need multiple people to log it so that Apple can’t ignore the issue so easily.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

This has been happening to me since tbc, but has gotten much more frequent since wrath to the point the game has become unplayable having to tab out and tab back in to un-stuck the screen every ~5 minutes. Sad there is no fix on blizzard side as i dont see apple fixing this either :frowning:

But isn’t this solved by using Vsync? I did had this on retail last year but solved with turning Vsync on again. This is also mentioned in one off the above links.

different issue entirely. you bumped an old thread/issue.

the new freezing hitching issue particularly on login is known and i’ve been told they’re actively working on it now that cause is identified.

1 Like

Yep, the original issue was fixed at some point. It was always intermittent but I haven’t seen it occur for well over a year, so either an Apple or WoW update fixed it.