San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

Sort of like the Bribe skill that Rogues used to have.

I don’t like the idea of a racial that weakens you.

This one sounds cool. Shame it wouldn’t be helpful to casters though.

Could have something like

that Night Elves currently have. Maybe haste/damage during the night and dodge during the day?

1 Like

I forgot casters don’t auto attack. How about if it attacks every time a skill is used? Would still be a low damage familiar but it could be used by everyone. Problem with that is that it will fire more often with classes that are faster paced like Enhancement Shaman, which is my favorite class. My Stormstrike procs quite a bit some fights so I would be getting far more damage out of that familiar then a slower class like MM Hunter.

I said it was like Touch of Elune but I don’t want it to be just like that. There is a need to keep classes and races unique imo. Don’t want to start muddying the waters so to speak. And the reason it had a down side is because of the up side. Could always be 1% to major stats during night and 1% to secondary stats during day.

Thank you both for your replies.

2 Likes

This assumes factions still matter in the next expac… which we’re not sure they will.

Oh you don’t have to apologize at all! No worries, we’re easy-going and any idea is a good one when it comes to this. This thread is about vampires in WoW, yes it’s labeled as San’layn, but let’s face it. They might not ever happen, and if they don’t, I’d be sad but it would be alright. Alternative suggestions are lovely because it brings more ideas to the table and we all want different things. I’ll point out “I like ‘xyz’ better” and yada yada, but that’s the beauty of this, we all have different ideas and if it’s relevant to vampires, it’s important to talk about, because we’re trying to bring the myth in all of it’s awesomeness to WoW and make it be playable.

All of what we talked about therefore is good stuff and I thank you very much for bringing in your ideas. Naturally I would love for vampyr elves, but do I think it should be restricted to just them? Nah, of course not. If there’s a way to expand it and Blizzard gives the thumbs up, I’d be thrilled. It’d bring so much rich story, and as a huge vampire lover, I’m a fan.

Besides, while I love elves, I think expanding it to others would be cool. Have we ever seen, in works of fantasy literature, vampire trolls? Vampire orcs? Vampire goblins, vampire uh… Tauren? That would look very eerie and cool as well. It’d be like forsaken variants of all those too, but more regal and of course vampire-theme, on the edge of life but a terrifying monster in order to be so.

Big yes from me, but we already know that from my constant praising of the idea, hahaha!

YEah I think a leech would be very useful, could also have like a lifesteal move that’s on a three minute cooldown. Or a move that increases leech by a % for a short duration.

This one would make a lot of sense I think, considering what Valanar did in Naxxanar with that one human lady. It’s a very good idea, it could be a three second ‘charm’ or something, like how the tauren get their stun. Though I think tauren stun is shorter, however that one is an AoE.

This would work, yeah! We haven’t seen negative effects of daylight yet on San’layn, but at the moment there’s so little lore, I wouldn’t doubt there’s room for stuff like it to be added.

This would be really cool :stuck_out_tongue: Also to not be OP, it could be there for a short duration and again longer cooldown. Many possibilities. Or maybe if you activate it, it could be there for effect but wouldn’t attack until you ‘cast/order’ it to do so, in which their attack would be on that cooldown.

Oh true, yeah that’s an interesting thought. Personally, and I might be in the minority here, I like the idea of being able to group up with the Alliance in RP or LFG or something. Or even having a neutral guild.

1 Like

Having watched some classic WoW videos and remembering how the new character intros were, I thought I would try one for the San’layn after having done one for Ogres and Vulpera in the style of classic introductions. I realize that San’layn are more likely as an allied race as opposed to a core race, but I figured I’d still give it a shot. I’ll be using the scenarios I have been typing up as references:

"Monsters. Abominations. Evil. These are but a few of the names often given to San’layn throughout time, but not all is as they appear. Once heroes of Silvermoon, they fell in battle and were risen as slaves to the Lich King, Arthas while given a vampiric curse. After the fall of Arthas, the San’layn sought survival through any means necessary, but even hope and determination had its limits. It was Blood Prince Dreven that reached out to the Horde, and the San’layn played a pivotal role against the remnants of the Blood Trolls and helping their former home, Silvermoon from being lost to the Alliance.

As a member of the Darkfallen Brood, you are tasked with helping the survival of your race as well as making a name for the San’layn, for despite assisting the Horde in many battles, there are still some who would adopt a dubious posture towards them. By standing with the Horde, you not only secure your place in the world, but also would give the Alliance so much fear, that their children would find it hard to sleep at night from the stories told. And should the need to feast upon blood arise, there is always a member of the Alliance not too far away…"

As with my other two intro writings, I’m sure there are parts I could do better in rewriting and structuring, but hopefully people enjoy it. ^^;

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. :smile: In the future I will definitely be separating and designating whichever I’m referring to when it comes to San’layn as a race or vampires as a class. The below is for the San’layn race.

The Charm Humanoid, I mentioned before, would have to be a short use skill with a longer cooldown now that you mention it. Since all players are humanoid it would be super op to control a player for 5 minutes, lol. Fun for the vampire but not very fun for those being controlled. But I think 3 secs is too short for any use really. I think it would have to be at least 5 seconds but no more then 8 secs. That’s because of the gcd bs we have in-game. Plus they would only have a basic attack and maybe one other skill.

I didn’t even think about San’layn lore with the night and day skill unfortunately. :frowning: I have to try and remember that they are not like the vampires I grew up with. I did give another possibility in a post above because someone didn’t like getting weakened by it. I suggested that it give 1% boost to major stats at night and 1% to secondary stats during the day. That will probably be called op so it needs work but I think it needs a day and night cycle like Touch of Elune. Could always be called Touch of the Sanguine or something vampiric.

I came up with another racial which I think could be very fun. It is a non-combat, non-damaging spell called Dark Calling or Feed or something similar. You use it on humanoids to stun them while you replenish your youth. Maybe the victim can’t be used to feed by another vampire for 24hrs or something like a debuff to other vampires. It is harmless and can’t be used in PvP but if you want you character to stay young looking you use it once a day or some set time. If you don’t use it you start to look older, more withered and bat like. The possibilities. Mwahaha.

I also thought that when you die you get decapitated. You have 5 - 10 secs to get your head back to your body before you bleed out. Kind of a mini game of sorts. You can only use it once every 30 mins - 1 hr.

1 Like

All good with me, and never be afraid to share your ideas. Anything thematically vampires is relevant. Even Blood Trolls technically but in that case I’d probably be like “well blood trolls I’m not sure are afflicted by the same curse if any curse, really”. Regardless, possibilities are endless, and lore is still very much open on all of these cool concepts. I hope they expand upon it, because truly, honestly, it’s tons of fun to see when it pops up.

I think that’s fair! It could be longer on a non-PvP target, and I think making it like a mind control would work yeah. One of the disadvantages would be that you can be attacked during the channel, I think that’s the case with priest MC too though. I’m not sure, I’d have to look into it. The basic attack and one other skill would be a good idea too.

Yeah true that. Well the thing with San’layn lore and any sort of vampyr curse in general, if we want to also include Vry’kul and humans (which again, we’re not sure but are guessing, might be one and the same), there’s not much out there. Slowly is it getting added to, but even the lore we’re getting, some are unsure if it’s even valid, I guess. Which disheartens me somewhat.

Take Tha’lena, for example. A Blood Princess from Legion’s Violet Hold dungeon. We only have dungeon journal information that states she’s Lana’thel’s daughter. That’s it–no who she was in life, no elaboration on if she’s her REAL daughter or if it means something else, no ideas as to if Lana had other children as well. People are saying that’s just a throwback to Wrath and in reality is just something to smile about, not be taken seriously.

Then, they say that about the vampirates too. Again, another throwback, and not legit in lore.

And finally, with San’layn in the Alliance campaign, people pull the “well, they were there to make the Alliance feel good and the Horde not really lose an ally” (Which makes 0 sense to begin with because why would the alliance side feel anything good at all if the San’layn meant nothing in the first place? Why would they want the Horde not to feel like this is a defeat? That whole argument is just the “bias” nonsense, I tell ya.)

Finally… Quill. Nothing. Nada. Just named after Lana’thel.

So there’s constant debate on what is even legit now for San’layn lore. What should be taken seriously? What shouldn’t be? Therefore, all of this is so incredibly up in the air, that there’s tons of elbow room. The being weak to sunlight very well could work out, we could discover this weakness via a serious quest in the future or something. Or, it might not affect WoW vampyr at all! I really hope we get some ends tied eventually.

Oh wow I love this idea. I think it would bring something dynamic and cool to the race. Plus, the side of your screen might look tinged with red the longer you go without feeding. The duration can vary too! It honestly wouldn’t be that hard of an upkeep as well. Go find a humanoid anywhere and feed, boon, you’re set. Some might complain so it might need to be every few days, but I’m game for every day myself. That’s really because I don’t mind things like this and find them to be fun ^^ I’d love to be able to choose which monster form you start looking like too. Having my toon obtain bat features when hungry, oh, or their eyes going pure black, their fangs getting larger, whatever, would be so neat.

Such things could be on character customization screen, like how people can do with worgen.

Hah this one is awesome. Could you imagine how that’d look? I think the head should be attackable and have the ability to be slowed too, or not useable in PvP. The more it’s attacked, the slower it goes or something. It’d look really interesting for sure though, I’d love to see it.

1 Like

8 Likes

It’s sucks that Blizz gives absolutely no lore or almost no lore to races they put into the game. Like you said, the vampyr curse could infect all the races from Vry’kul to Blood Trolls or it could be contained in only one race. Wish they would expand on this idea like they did with Worgen.

Would be cool if we get San’layn and the starting quests are like Legion DH’s where we’re in the past and you get to see how the story and characters came to be. Maybe you start as a normal elf and you get bit by a Blood Prince or something and you see all their memories unfold since you share memories now. Maybe we play through some of them as the Blood Prince. Experience the very first vampires and their stories. Maybe how they avoided society but then were found out. Maybe the Alliance wanted them dead and that’s how they came across the Horde. Who knows but there is a lot of possibilities.

1 Like

((You knew me as Aribethia too! I relocated to yet another server, one without toxic “bullies”. Need I say more?))

I love this so much lol, it gave me a giggle :stuck_out_tongue:

Me too. At least we can try to tell Blizzard what we’d love expanded. I attempt at it every time a QnA comes up, but with no luck thus far. There’s not much lore answered there. A couple of AR questions have come up, but nothing on these folk at all. Blood Trolls got shot down, High Elves were told “not this expansion” (don’t shoot the messenger if you see this people I’m just saying what was said, I don’t intend on starting an argument), Wildhammers got a ‘not now’ I think… Vulpera got an answer twice that avoided actually saying anything aside from “NPCs getting animations are to make it more immersive” and not a yes or no.

That leaves Vulpera, San’layn, Ogres, Sethrak, Arakkoa, Gilgoblins, and Mechagnomes with no clear answer right now (I didn’t see any other megathreads so if I am missing any, I apologize). None of it has come up in a QnA, and we keep getting a ‘you shall see soon’. I wish they had an actual lore QnA where they did answer lore questions like these. But people keep saying they’re probably saving lore stuff for a future reveal.

This carrot on a stick stuff is driving me nuts though.

I love this idea so much. Thus far, every allied race aside from something like Mah’gar and Dark Irons, which… both had either entire zones or expansions previously in the game, and a decent questline during recruiting them… have had rep grinds and major quests that elaborate more on them. I bet they could easily implement it to be this way for sure via how we’d inevitably have to grind rep for them.

And their mount should totally be a winged/floating carriage or bats or a cloud of bats :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So you’re going to milk this for all its worth?
Flips hair and climbs into a flame-proof asbestos suit

3 Likes

You don’t need it to be a class. It can be a class as well such as blood mages which many races already have in lore.

But it wouldn’t make san’layn less of a thing. Fel= blood elves, eredar and demons. Yet we have two classes based on that sort of magic. The same thing could happen for San’layn.

Ethereals are made of magic (magic mummies) we still have arcane mages etc. It doesn’t need to a class or limited a race.

Well, it is a high steaks battle, seeing as the Alliance has beef with us. Best for us to hoof it and hope we udderly decimate them. :V

1 Like

As long as you steer us in the right direction.
Flips hair and practices going ‘moo’

3 Likes

I’ll try, but it’s rare to do so. Very amoosing when done right. ^^

2 Likes

Please please please no San’layn redemption. I want them to be sinister and conniving. To pick the demon binding, Light corrupting ball Blizzard dropped with the Blood Elves’ Sunwell arc :frowning:

That’s why I’m also an advocate for them getting Paladins. The Alliance should hate them merely on the grounds that they make a mockery of the Light, like the Blood Knights used to do.

Even the Blood Elves should be uneasy around them, and High Elves, so many of which died or lost loved ones to the Scourge, should outright consider them an abomination.

Heck, they could even expand upon the San’layn breed of Undead by revealing that they, too, are created by a ritual relying on the Light, and that is why they are so dependent on blood as a “life force” to sustain themselves.

Just don’t grill me on the right way; I’ve herd it all!
flips hair, sips tea and starts thawing out a steak for tomorrow

1 Like

I’m fine with them being evil in some ways, but not PURE sheer, mustache twirling evil, personally. Like the forsaken. I think some of them should be extremely shifty, while others do genuinely want to help, but in their own brutal, bloodshed fashion. A variety and such. None of them will truly ever be “good”, it’s impossible since they do have to devour blood. They could direct it to only the Alliance, but regardless will be seen as monsters, and like any race there will be plenty of sheer evil too.

I just don’t want only and pure evil, if you catch my drift.

4 Likes