RIP Flamelash

I was asking about the

1/1.5
100/150

Etc

The 1.5/1 is just a simplification of 60/40.

The 150/100 for example, is the scaling upwards of the simplification. Because servers aren’t just 2.5 people.

The same can be done with the 60/40.

It’s be 60/40, 600/400, 6000/4000.

Just simplified down to make the math easier.

1 Like

I’m genuinely perplexed here…

A server with 60:40 in favor of Horde means that 60% of the population is Horde, 40% is Alliance. So if the total population is 10,000 players, that means:

• 6,000 players are Horde
  • 4,000 players are Alliance

The ratio remains the same regardless. Assuming all players are playing roughly equally and going out into the world in roughly for roughly the same purposes, Horde are going to outnumber Alliance by approximately 50%.

This is Algebra I stuff friend, and you’re starting to worry me.

1 Like

Long as it’s not geometry. I’ll tolerate letters in my math, but you throw in shapes and I revolt! D:<

2 Likes

Don’t you think you’re being just a little hypotenuse here?

5 Likes

8 Likes

Earthfury is a lovely server despite the recent wave of Alliance guilds transfering from Faerlina.

Heres the thing even if its 40/60 or 4000/6000 its still only a 1.5 difference. Adding extra 0 on the end doesnt change the core value in your example

If both sides are rising at the a constant rate. This being 1.5 horde for every 1 alliance than even if the population grew to were its 400% more alliance and 600% more horde its still a difference of 1.5

In order for it to be different the horde rate of growth would have to change from .5 to higher.

Lets start with a small playerbase and grow them

10/15

If we grow both equally by 100%

We would get 20/30 but the difference between then is still 50%

In order for horde to start pulling a head like you stated the rate of growth would need to be adjusted.

Same numbers

10/15

This time well do each side at a different rate of growth.

10 still going by 100% = 20

This time well change the value of horde to 150%

15 by 150% = 37.5

Which than means you gave a population of 20/37.5 a difference of 53% only a 3% growth over your original numbers.

Also even if you kept adding 0s on the end and ever increasing the core value of 1/1.5 the actual difference doesnt change.

For that to happen horde would need to be growing at an exponentially faster rate than alliance.

Yes but we arent talkmg about 3v2 thats still only half an extra horde per alliance. Just because you changed it from 1.5v1 to 3v2 doesnt actually change the value.

Literally no one is saying that is happening, or even suggesting it. I haven’t the foggiest what you’re trying to prove here but we all know how a ratio works…

A 50% disadvantage is still a 50% disadvantage, and that’s assuming the players, all of them, play roughly equally. The reality is that the minority faction spends less time doing things that expose them to wPvP because of the imbalance and the majority faction spends more time for the exact same reason. A 60:40 server doesn’t actually see 60:40 fights at BRM, but rather 70:30 to 80:20, or much worse.

A perceived imbalance can be enough to cause an actual imbalance.

2 Likes

No one is saying that it changes the ratio, I… I feel like you aren’t an English first language person because I’m really trying to not lose my patience with you.

3 to 2 is used over 1.5 to 1 because you can’t have half of a Horde running around. Reduced to whole players, for every 3 Horde there are only 2 Alliance.

/boggle

2 Likes

You’re thinking about this wrong my dude. The horde doesn’t need to grow exponentially in order for the imbalance to grow.

If the horde and alliance population combined is 10,000 players, at a 40A/60H split, then we have 4000 alliance, and 6000 horde.

If we go out to world pvp (or just travel to an instance) and the horde have 600 players and we have 400, who wins?

When we can’t travel to instances, and people get frustrated with not being able to level, or farm, or do anything, the 400 becomes smaller (rerolls, quitting, transfers, etc), even if the 600 doesn’t grow.

So before we had 4000 alliance playing, now 1000 are frustrated and have left, we have 3000 active, against the 6000 horde who are still having a good time because they win every engagement due to superior numbers.

So now we’re at 3000/6000, or a 2 to 1 ratio.

This makes the fight next time 300 vs 600, and it’s over even faster than before.

Continue this cycle with the underpopulated side getting frustrated, and it very quickly becomes a 20A/80H ratio, or 1 v 4 for every encounter. “Growth” has nothing to do with it.

9 Likes

And now we’ll talk about overall percentages versus localized percentages. It isn’t 1500 Horde stomping your butt in Burning Steppes. It is 10 here, 10 there. It isn’t that the numbers are all that out of whack, but that they are more organized and motivated than the Alliance, and are seizing choke points. Bet you money it is easier for people to get into Dire Maul than it is the mountain, and a lot of people have BIS gear coming from DM.

10 here and 10 there sounds reasonable. On my server, it’s 30 here, and 50 there.

My guild had to hearth out to get 1 more aqual quint for MC the other night. When we returned, we ran into one raid of 40 as we entered the mountain. After killing them, we found 2 more a little deeper into the mountain, and as we battled them, the original we’d already fought rezzed from behind and we were quickly sandwiched by 120 horde players. The imbalance is real, and regardless of the numbers, 1 or 5, or 10, on our server, the horde consistently has 2 or 3 times more people in EVERY zone where anything meaningful can be accomplished.

5 Likes

60 is 50% more than 40 since 60/40=1.5

3 Likes

It literally is. Math isn’t this hard people.

4 Likes

Which is what I’m saying about local, or perceived, imbalances being a different thing than overall imbalances. Horde gank squads are concentrating in the areas they know that their prey want to go. That doesn’t mean those are the only places to go, though, or that the coverage is universal. Your perceptions, in this case, may not line up with the reality of server populations. 120 people is a relatively small number compared to the total on the server, after all. So a small number of people placed in a strategic position can make themselves a much bigger problem than they normally would be.

1 Like

why must you always use LOGIC in these threads?

1 Like

Yeah, how 'bout that Gromsblood in Hinterlands, or that side-entrance to BRD from Ashenvale.

4 Likes

All this 40/60 talk.
Couldn’t you also say most hardcore pvp’ers wouldn’t shy away from, much less cry over, a 4 on 6 fight?

1 Like