Right Click Report - Not Going Away

Okay…

Your issue isn’t with the potential abuse of the RCR system. It’s with the ease it provides in making legitimate reports against chat violations. Your issue is with Blizzard’s rules, like I thought.

Incorrect, once again.

I think you’re getting close, but not connecting it.

If you were to report for language, at least back in the day, the following factors had to be met:

1. You have ignored them.
  2. They’re bypassing the ignore in some way with alts or something.
  3. Or it was blatantly, extremely racist, a call to action or violence, threat in RL, etc.

Nowadays, people report for relatively benign language from the perpetually-offended in some cases. And some of those reports do nothing, but, they still have to be reviewed.

The report option for it should tell them to ignore them as a first option, once again. If it’s to the point where people can just as easily report you (call action against you) as it is to just ignore you, why wouldn’t they try to get you banned on top of everything?

The second you make it easier to try and get someone actioned than to not have to interact with them is when something has gone wrong.

2 Likes

Like I thought, your issue is with Blizzard’s rules. You don’t want them to enforce their CoC in-game. You want the report option that exists so they can enforce their CoC to tell players to ignore the offender.

I don’t care about the things people say, Blizzard does. You’re sitting here and telling us that you don’t want RCR because it can be abused but the real reason you want these options removed is because you don’t want the rules enforced.

I just said I wanted the rules enforced.

I can’t reiterate this more. Most of the ‘reports’ that get sent in, could be handled by simply ignoring the person. Reporting someone is like going straight to the principal to get them punished harshly when you can just ignore the person’s existence and they’ll never be able to talk to you, invite you to groups, spam you, etc. ever again.

I’m going to present a case I was told about from someone I was just chatting with on my server.

Some crazy person reported them like crazy for disagreeing that Warmode = the big R word. And equated them to being the big R word. And started trying to report them and spread it to a mutual guild.

Crazy person is, currently, not banned, but crazy person can (and likely did) open a report on that person and it was still read by a GM and no action was taken because they -felt- offended. This is the level of crazy that can often spam and detract GM attention from actual, serious cases. You don’t give crazy people access to an easily spammable system so that they can abuse it because they feel a certain way.

RP servers are a magical land, yo. Heck, I’ve had this same person do crazier things to me and get me banned from a private channel until people realized they were crazy. And this isn’t isolated. We have legitimate whack-o-doodles.

The problem is, the ability to spam-report someone shouldn’t be open to a right-click. It should require an actual ticket after other avenues have failed.

1 Like

What kinds of things should be ignored instead of reported?

Someone says something you don’t like or agree with? Just ignore them like an adult human being would in real life.

Someone uses a naughty word? Ignore them like you would in real life. Some people communicate more bluntly than others. If you don’t like how someone thinks or talks? Ignore them.

If someone’s going on racist tirades talking about (insert group, race, political thing here) in attempts to start flame wars? By all means, report them. They’re trying to disrupt the entire area.

There’s a difference in one person going, “Yeah, dude. I’ve had a :poop: day,” and, “ALL THESE PEOPLE OF THIS SPECIFIC (insert nationality, race, creed, etc.) ARE BAD AND SHOULD (insert horrible thing here)!”

There’s a difference in completely disrupting things for everyone and just talking. You really shouldn’t get reported for just chilling and talking in general chat because PerpetualOffenselol (character name) is one person out of like 15 people who can’t handle a bad word or two.

1 Like

Like I thought, your issue is with Blizzard’s rules. If you want them to change their rules or remove the option to report CoC violations, then you should open a thread suggesting that.

how to fix this is simple really.

1. remove auto squelch on all but the new option in the menu of rightclicking “real money trade” or “gold selling”.

2. heavily punish those who abuse the option “gold selling” or “real money trade” to get someone auto squelched who wasnt partaking in that.

3. have reports that wouldve resulted in being squelched go to a priority queue for gm review.

those 3 things would get rid of most of the gripes with the system but not all.

2 Likes

The problem with the rules is - they’re constantly moving the posts, even if that was the issue.

I learned more in Barrens Chat than my Reproductive Education class back in the day - nobody got banned for that.

1 Like

Can we just both agree you’ve went in circles and have no rational argument?

1 Like

No. No, we cannot.

You’re purposely being obtuse and anyone can see that.

The point is, quite simply, it should be easier to /ignore someone, than to try and get them banned. Period. Full-stop.

Rules should be enforced if systems to mitigate the problem have been bypassed. Period. Full-stop.

I don’t see what’s so hard for you to understand the concept of: “We have an ignore list for a reason. Use. It.”

3 Likes

What is the issue with the RCR system? Is it the potential for abuse or is it the fact that CoC violations can be and are encouraged by Blizzard to be reported?

The existence of the ignore list is not a free pass to break the CoC. Your problem is with Blizzard’s rules.

Blizzard disagrees. Period. Full-stop.

It is not broken, despite the less than a handful of people in this thread insisting it is so. It is not broken now, nor has it been broken for the past 10+ years. It will not be broken in classic, except for chronic offenders who cannot self moderate themselves in public places.

It is fine as it is.

Seeing as only GMs have the power to ban, I’m not sure what your point is. Nobody is forcing you to do things that would get you banned.

1 Like

RCR has auto silence component. That will kill classic since it can be abused to harass people.

Giving admin powers to every group will kill classic, and Its a huge change. We asked blizzard for one thing… no changes. And they can’t even get that right.

3 Likes

Most public places in real life have an expected code of conduct regarding what is considered appropriate to say. And just ignoring someone is not considered an acceptable response to everything, you might be asked to leave or actually shut up.

So yeah if you get RCR’d chances are you deserved it and maybe next time think a little before you spout off in a public channel.

Ignore is for people you don’t like/don’t want to hear from but aren’t necessarily breaking any rules. Report is a legitimate response to someone who is breaking the rules, however.

heh . it is broken when it pertains to classic due to how much more of an impact it will be when someone gets modded falsely.

honest question though, do you want moral busy bodies telling you and everyone else what is acceptable and having the power to actually mod you when their delicate sensibilities are in any way hurt?

i sure dont.

3 Likes

Doesn’t really bother me because I’m never going out of my way to be a jerk or intentionally troll or whatnot.

1 Like

meh its like comedy nowadays . nobody wants to preform on college campuses anymore cause of the joke police being in full force.

comedy is meant to be edgy sometimes.

so is chat in a mmorpg.

being in a safe space where non of your ideas or assumptions are put into question leads to stale coddled people that lack in the ability to process stress and adversity.

ahh well . if it turns out to be that i know i wont and alot of other people wont stay long.

3 Likes

No one is obligated to hear what anyone else has to say.

I agree with you somewhat in that folks should be allowed to speak or perform wherever, but at the same time the freedom goes both ways and no one is required to go visit and hear that person. If a famous political figure wants to speak at a campus, they should be able to, and the folks who don’t like them don’t need to attend if they don’t want to, for example.

(And for the record both sides have been victims of this)

Likewise in WoW chat, you can say that telling someone to kill themselves is just “free speech” but the target is not obligated or required to sit there and tolerate it.

2 Likes