Retail at 2 million subs, classic will easily overtake it

who says the reason we want classic is because nostalgia?
we want it because its a good game. and we enjoyed it. its far better then retail is, and frankly, OSRS wasn’t what was asked for. you want to know why?
Because those who want stuff like Flying and LFD and Transmog? they have a game for that.
those who want a game without all teh quality of life? they don’t have the game they want.

Not really…

It’s like you don’t even understand old school runescape.

Keep embarrassing yourself with non sensical comments like this.

1 Like

i do understand it. but i also know plenty of retail players who have said they would actually come in and vote in changes that they know classic fans wouldn’t like. so yeah, forgive me if i’d rather not implement a system that can be trolled.

Fact is that even OSRS doesn’t stay true to that, it has been shown on multiple times that OSRS will actually revote on things they have voted for already, despite them being voted no.

Where? Not saying you’re wrong but are you basing this off a youtubers estimates?

Oh, woops, I didn’t fully read the conversation before responding. Muh bad.

It got leaked and bfa sales are only 3.7 million. It’s fair assumption to believe that number has faltered down to 2 million.

They stated that as A reason, which doesn’t mean they had others they didn’t mention.

well obviously they want to make money.

Link? Or you guesstimating ? I don’t doubt swubs are so low but you can’t mention a leak without providing a source.

What the…?
First of all, World of Warcraft is a much superior game to Runescape, and it has a better (potential) developmental “classic” future going forward (TBC and Wrath servers) than Runescape ever had, so it just flat-out doesn’t need to go the route of crappy player-voted new content.

Second of all, people like yourself who assume that everyone plays the older versions of MMOs for “nostalgia” are ignorant. You might do so, but me? I play because I think it’s a better game.

not-so-stealth edit added.

exactly. classes actually felt unique in vanilla.
furthermore the world was big and huge and alive and it wasn’t get to level cap and raid.

1 Like

They’re being intentionally vague on TBC and WOTLK - but I think it’s a fairly safe assumption that they will do them if Classic succeeds.

blizzard would never be vague.

3 Likes

I think people are forgetting that Classic and “retail” will have the same subscription. If anything, Blizzard is going to use both subs combined in a single number. It’d be hard to tell exactly how many are ONLY playing Classic, or vice versa.

2 Likes

to us? definitely. to blizzard? they will be able to tell.

3 Likes

Eh… I’d say it’s more that Acti-Blizz wants a better legal leg to stand on regarding IP rights. Next would be cashing in on a market with minimal inputs, and probably a distant 3rd (or lower) would be “Because our fans want it”.

Of course they’ll say that, it’s a better PR look. If they said, “Well we’re only doing this so that we can stick it to European private server owners and hosts” it would be negative PR. Not really a nightmare, but it sure wouldn’t be good. By saying, “We’re doing it for the players!” it makes everyone think, at least at a surface glance, that they are “good guy Blizzard” and it’s a nice PR boost and they can get some free, positive press out of the deal.

I dunno, when I look at a big, faceless corporation and their reasons for doing something? I’m not going to pick the altruistic or community based choice, I’m picking the choice that helps them make money, keep money, or keep control of things that may be slipping through their fingers. The player base will definitely benefit from it, but that benefit is not the primary mover for Acti-Blizz.

There’s literally a mega thread about this in general discussion with a link.

Honestly what I’m saying is literally dated information

It would benefit Blizzard to “let” Classic subs be combined with Retail and publish it together. Showing disparity will only cause “outrage” that nobody wants to deal with, but having them together looks better in the media.

Let Retail players have their game, let Classic players have theirs. Numbers don’t really matter besides helping Blizz direct Retail.

However, with normal and classic being under one sub they might not bother to distinguish between who’s playing what.