Retail at 2 million subs, classic will easily overtake it

So since WoW sub count has been leaked at 2 million subscriptions. Classic wow will no doubt overtake the live version when it launches.

If classic servers also get progression servers similar to the way old school runescape is handled I believe that classic WoW will easily triple live versions of wow sub count.

4 Likes

#Nochanges! :angry:

4 Likes

Wait sorry, force of habit.

13 Likes

You mean the three months ago semi-leak that was based on data an addon was able to scrape and relevant only to NA+EU? If so, you’re late to the discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769737335.

If they do, I suspect WOW Classic will lose subs over each change. It’s unlikely to produce a net gain, as the people “getting their way” won’t be people who chose not to play - they will be the ones who stick around (and gloat about winning the vote) while others just quietly walk away disappointed and knowing they’ll never have another chance at the authentic experience - or seeking the next best thing on a new crop of pservers that have “updated data” based on WOW Classic datamining.

8 Likes

I think if they did a progression type system like OSRS I think it would be best to allow players to activate some type of feature that once activated on a particular character is unable to go back to the classic unchanged servers.

For example. Classic vanilla you play levels 1-60 for two years, they decide to implement new features. You can either A activate from your account, “progression server” or not, and by activating it, the next time you log in, you are transported to the main faction city and are forever unable to go back to the classic version of vanilla forever on that character. You could however create new characters on the classic version, but the ones you activate progression on, are unable to ever go back.

This would please what you are asking for and the #keepvanilla,vanilla crowd happy as well.

2 Likes

What? You lost me. Are you talking about people transferring from classic to retail ?

I’m not sure it will over take retail as far as people who are coming back for Classic, i could see 500k return players. Also there is the quality factor- Blizz used to have awesome “polish” where they would delay a game for a year + if they had to too get it right…I’m not sure if they are still that way, it could be released buggy or not feel the same, in that case it wont live up to its potential sub wise. I’m not trying to be a negative nancy here but the company is different under Activision.

He’s talking about keeping the classic version but adding in different raids for max lvl 60’s and different mini games etc like OSRS does.

Oh. Well uh. How about we just say no to that. The goal isn’t osrs. The goal is classic.
Those who want osrs can go ask blizz to make a new game.

4 Likes

I think my post, I believe it was 4th one down would be a good idea for people who would want things added to classic, and for those that wouldn’t. You should check it out. It would never happen, but it’s really the only way his idea would become a reality

Still not a fan. People who want osrs have an option to go play osrs.

2 Likes

Yes, but things are added to OSRS continuously and the community themselves get to go to the ballot in the banks and vote yes or no on changes made to the game. It’s one of the few games where the players decide the direction of the game.

I would not be surprised if classic wow takes this approach a few years after launch.

Your wrong. The reason classic is being made in the first place is because the fans asked for it.

They didn’t ask for osrs. They asked for vanilla. And got it.

And if vanilla does well blizzard already said B.C. and wrath are distinct possibilities.

Seems like it’s purely up to the fanbase there.
But frankly most the fan base seems against an osrs approach.

4 Likes

You are right and I am not wrong. No need to find debates within my posts.

Many wanted vanilla played on patch 1.1. However that is not the patch vanilla will be played on… many debated about warsong gulch being implemented to vanilla since at one point it wasn’t ( it will be in classic vanilla) so again, vanilla to some is not the same vanilla to others. Lets not forget that.

Again, I agree most players want just vanilla, me too. I don’t want added things, and I am very happy with the patch they decided to launch with. However, as I said, I would not be surprised after a few years, even 5 years, they start taking the OSRS approach and start opening ballots in-game for players to vote on changes. I also would not be surprised if they did not ever implement this feature if subs or play time stays at a decent level. We don’t know what we don’t know. We can assume or guess at this point, but that’s about it.

Just out of curiosity, where did they say TBC and Wrath were distinct possibilities?

2 Likes

where are all these people who wanted it played strictly on 1.1 and where are these people who didn’t want battle grounds? Because I have not seen that at all.

1 Like

Blizzcon 2018.

Link please.

Before the patch was announced. I actually even made a thread about it asking what patch people thought classic would be on and many debated over it. Most spoke about it being 1.1 others said 1.12. Made sense since one is the begging of vanilla, the other is the end of vanilla.

A lot also wondered if they would release it on 1.1 and then continue releasing patches throughout the year like they originally did with classic.

It would be the same as someone saying how much they loved legion, but quitting before the Argus zone was released.

2 Likes

Okay maybe I read the interview wrong. At this time no plans for bc. But if classic succeeds I don’t see why they wouldn’t.