Remove the ability to respec

Megarune, I always laugh when I see your posts.

I never read them, though. :wink:

Both.

It was intended to mock the other post, “With near universal approval can we get a response about dual spec please.”

Nope. Havent you heard? The game was designed to allow you to respec. Therefore if it was designed that way then it automatically means its a perfect design.

Why did they allow respecs? So people would farm gold and respec when not raiding?

I read somewhere and can’t find the quote, but they wanted people to not be punished too hard for mistakes such that they wouldn’t experiment but at the same time they didn’t want people to be able to easily switch back and forth such that the choice didn’t really matter.

3 Likes

Exactly. But people constantly switch back and forth. It has become a routine for many if not most raiders.

Which means the current 50g respec is insufficient and needs to be raised.

3 Likes

Speak for yourself.

Rogues have it worst of all. PvP as a rogue is unplayable without shadowstep. Good luck raiding as sub.

Sounds like an opinion not shared by Blizzard…

Which is why we got Dual Spec.

Ghostcrawler: https://web.archive.org/web/20090214224139/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/dualspec.html

Nethaera: Why are we allowing players to dual spec after all this time?
Ghostcrawler: We really felt like this was a great way to increase the flexibility available to players and encourage them to take part in more aspects of the game. To use just one example, some players like to participate in both raids and Arenas, which is awesome behavior that we want to promote. But, there are some talents which are more useful in one part of the game than another. Currently, players have to pay respec costs and go through the process of setting up the desired talent spec and action bars whenever they switch.

Watcher: https://www.bluetracker.gg/wow/topic/us-en/20743706264-i-paid-for-dual-spec-let-me-keep-it/

Ultimately, the intent behind the respec cost (which isn’t really a new concept, dating back to 2004 class trainers) was to help reinforce a bit of spec identity through declaring a “primary” spec to which you could always return for free, and to serve as a mild gold sink. But in practice, changing specialization is a pretty significant transformation in terms of action bars, optimal gear in some cases, artifacts, and so forth, and already not something that people were taking lightly. I suspect the cost will not be missed.

Ghostcrawler: https://www.bluetracker.gg/wow/topic/us-en/15973677341--blizzard-gc-quote-and-balance/

Mostly, though, dual-spec is a convenience factor. You can already run back to town and respec in the middle of a raid, and plenty of people did that already (and hated it).

We struggled with this a lot, but ultimately we do let players respec at will even today and just charge them for it. Plenty of Resto druids healed raids and then went Feral to do quests the rest of the week. Plenty of mages raid as Fire and PvP as Frost. We just thought in this case that the talent system got in the way of players enjoying the game rather than rewarding them for making good but hard choices. Commiting to being sub-optimal for parts of the game you enjoy was just a drag.

I expect some players may not use dual-spec at all, and that’s cool. Others will change once a week and others may change multiple times a night. We wanted the system to be flexible. We didn’t want it to allow players to not have to commit to talent builds though, which is why we limit you to 2 specs and not as many as you want.

Again, players can do that already. If the fight is too challenging, then you will see tanks porting home to respec or just stepping out for another dps. Dual-spec won’t suddenly make those situations trivial. They may make them slightly more convenient.

All of this contrasts with the original “No” Blizzard gave us in Original TBC. Specs were intended to be an important and meaningful choice to your character identity, not something you can idly swap like a pair of boots or weapon. However, the game still had to provide for you to change because mistakes happen with talent selections and Blizzard never wanted us locked in for good, hence the ramping costs.

But, as all of the above and a lot more quotes note, this didn’t pan out. People would either just not engage in other content because they were suboptimally spec’d for it, or bite the bullet and grumpily respec every time they wanted to mix it up. This rendered the cost entirely pointless as it wasn’t actually doing a good job of gating anyone from anything.

• Those that didn’t like respeccing hated it because they had to spend gold, swap bars, reclick talents, redo abilities, etc. It was one big inconvenience.

• Those that would respec paid no mind to the cost or annoying time to setup their stuff quickly because whether or it took 100g and 20min or 1g and 1min, they were going to do it because they weren’t going to do Arenas as PvE Arcane.

So the cost was antiquated garbage and the fact we can swap at all, a 1.0 Vanilla concept, was the reason players either stuck to a single spec or swapped without much of a care. Dual Spec fixed that broken system.

Why is the op buried in his original post? He made a good point supported by pure facts.

For starters dual spec hurts no one. I am not for it being added to the game because it was not originally in this version of the game. That is my sole reason for not wanting it. If people want to spend 50g a pop, I say have at it and more power to you. Them respec-ing does not impact anyone else in the slightest (at least in a negative way). I support things being as they were both good and bad.

1 Like

Swtor is introducing this concept. Going to be playing a dual wielding lightsaber gunslinger.

1 Like

I have several quotes from Blizzard which said that the purpose of making respecs expensive was to promote player identity and to create greater player diversity by encouraging players to tailor their specs around their playstyles instead of just switching back-and-forth between cookie-cutter specs.

When the 50g was first designed it would have taken the average player about 2-5 hours to farm the gold. In TBC Classic you could make that gold in 15 minutes from dailies. Everyone is using pretty much the exact same cookie-cutter specs and just switching back and forth depending on content.

That goes against Blizzard’s stated design intentions.

We don’t want anything more or less than what it simply was. This isn’t about design intent…unless of course you keep making it about design intent…

1 Like

The problem with this debate is that the supporters of dual-spec don’t care about anything except getting dual-spec. And those who oppose it are just trying to stop it.

The purpose of this thread was to get people to imagine what the game would be like if people couldn’t respec.

Basically, how might not being able to respec affect raiding, PvP, and the availability of tanks/healers?

“muh meaningful choices!”

“muh choices matter!”

Funny how the anti dual speccers can’t seem to come up with a valid argument against dual spec other than “nochanges” or “muh meaningful choices”.

It’d be absolutely awful because healers would have to level with a healing spec, tanks would have to level with a tanking spec, and you would never be allowed to do anything other than that one thing, unless you spend hundreds more hours leveling another character.

Shoo, troll.

This thread is not aimed at those who support dual-spec. It was aimed at those who oppose it.

I was taking their arguments to their logical conclusion, and trying to get them to imagine what it would actually be like. If you had actually read what I wrote you would understand that.

And your “opposition” is just more of the same tired old subjective emotional ““arguments”” that don’t mean anything.

You don’t have any valid arguments for why dual spec shouldn’t be in the game, you’re just parroting “muh meaningful choices” and “muh choices matter”. Both of which, really, have been disproven already because of Blizzard allowing respecs at any time from a class trainer.