Remove the ability to respec

IMO in order to learn a new skill on your character, it should have its own experience meter when you get rank 1. As you use it, you level the spell itself and it can level up to rank 2.

But you can’t just kill critters or heal full health targets. The experience gained is based on the amount of health depleted by the spell, the amount of health restored by the heal, the number of seconds an enemy is under the effect of the control, the number of afflictions cured, etc.

Any time you respec, you must also train the talented abilities back again from 1 experience / rank 1.

And what’s to stop someone from keeping all their gold on an alt to keep respecs low? This is a terrible idea.

ITT: People who take the OP seriously.

:popcorn:

1 Like

ITP: someone who cant interpret that I know he’s not being serious but arguing against the underlying reason he made the post in order to counter his point.

Every time you level, your talent points should be randomly allocated. If your spec at 70 isn’t ideal you should simply re-start your character.

Retail zoomers just want everything handed to them, you don’t have to always be the optimal spec, who cares if you’re 20/20/21

8 Likes

The 50g respec was based on an assumed gold per hour. If you farm 10g an hour then 50g represents 5 hours. If you farm 25g an hour it represents 2 hours. If you farm 100g an hour it represents 30 minutes.

So how much gold per hour was the average player farming back in 2004? How much do they farm in TBC Classic?

1 Like

uhmmmmm… What? I am unaware how respeccing is messing with the health of the game but I would like to hear more? Genuinely curious? If it’s a troll thread you got me.

Not going to lie, that could make an amazing hardmode server. LFM WHO HAS ATLEAST 35% TANK TALENTS SHAT HALLS

1 Like

Because being able to easily respec means people will only raid and PvP in cookie-cutter optimized specs instead of everyone using sub-par hybrid specs.

The reason people wanted to play Classic was because it was expensive to respec. Now that gold is easy to get, people are no longer playing the game as it was designed.

The only way to restore TBC to its former glory is to drastically raise respec costs or prohibit them altogether.

Aren’t you a fragile little flower.

Lmao, hold up brother, citation needed.

Do you really need a citation to show that the cost of respecs was related to the availability of gold?

I think it is safe to assume that if they expected gold to be 10x more common, respecs would cost 10x as much. And that if gold was 10x more scarce, respecs would cost 1/10th as much.

Do you think they chose that number at random? What else could it be?

It’s possible that it is a reference to an old EverQuest quest that allowed you to rebuild some of your stats, in which the NPC asks of you 50g.

Most of the original WoW devs played EverQuest.

https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Respecialization

That’s just a theory, but you have literally no evidence to back up the idea that the cost was developed or tweaked specifically in relation to gold earning capacity.

And why did Everquest choose 50g?

Who knows, and that’s pretty irrelevant.

You have this ultra-bad habit of basing all of your arguments on perceived design intention, when it’s irrelevant to the point, because you’re simply using 20/20 hindsight to try and justify all your reasoning and that’s your mistake really.

The design intent is what actually happened, it’s not your imaginary theory drawn to it’s most extreme logical conclusion.

You act as if the number was randomly chosen. When everyone knows that it was based on an assumed value of gold. And the value of gold is itself based on how quickly it can be acquired.

Why do you want to argue about things that are obvious?

Because it still doesn’t change that it was a 50g cap then, and is a 50g cap now.

Gold earning methods are completely identical, people are just better at it.

You might actually have a point if earning gold was somehow easier due to whatever reason, but it’s the exact same situation. Just because people utilize the tools they have now better than they did then, doesn’t mean the system requires inflating.

When I boot up a retro game, I don’t expect it (or want it) to be harder simply because I’m older/smarter.

I’m not sure if you’re trolling. I said character gold cap (as in the maximum amount of gold a character may have), not the amount of gold a character happens to have on them at the time…

Yes I agree. But instead of dual spec, players should be able to pick a spec from any class and play it on their toon. I.e. If I want to play affliction as a druid, then I can.

1. Gold earning isn’t the same in TBC as it was in Vanilla.
  2. Dailies weren’t in the game at this point in the original game.
  3. Gold farmers are far more rampant and they inject massive amounts of gold into the economy which inflates the prices of everything else.
  4. High respec costs are supposed to force you to make as Blizzard said, “good but hard choices”.

https://www.bluetracker.gg/wow/topic/us-en/15973677341--blizzard-gc-quote-and-balance/

Blizzard also said, “There should be a real investment into choosing a spec, and reducing the cost or making it easy to do simple swaps would make the whole purpose moot.”

https://www.bluetracker.gg/wow/topic/us-en/98646792-we-need-free-respecs-or-spec-swapping/

Anything that comparatively reduces respec costs would reduce the investment you have in your spec. The ability to respec between PvP and raiding goes against the original design of the game. It shouldn’t be allowed.

5 Likes