Remove or Restrict "Bioluminescent" From The Game

They have plenty of control, move away from it. If I stand by you and spam spell effects, what is the difference? There’s other people in the game, that is mostly the point of playing for an RPer.

I suggest spell effects only being visible for the players party or raid, so we don’t ruin immersion for RPers.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

there’s already a setting, which you would know when I tried to message you ingame when someone was using it last week if you hadn’t responded with “I don’t know you, stop DMing me it’s against the rules” and never elaborated on what I was doing wrong when I had been trying to help you.

10 Likes

I get enough immersion from playing the game as is.

That suit, the fish heads and the annoying boss dialogue toy are where I draw the line. Murloc costume and blizzcon bear are exceptions because of the limited print codes for them and the age since introduction (aka fewer in circulation).

I wouldn’t be surprised if even more people went to moonguard just to throw fish around now who wouldn’t have before, because they see how easily they can get under your skin.

People forget the best course of action for “trolling” is not drawing any attention to it.

That aside the toy has already been no fun police’d enough.

1 Like

…are you people really telling someone who says they have vision problems from the toy that they need to suck it up? It’s a reasonable request.

That said, I don’t believe they should nerf it entirely. Just make it part of particle density in the graphics settings. If you have issues seeing lights like that, then I imagine you have issues seeing flashy spell effects, which is particle density.

Since there really aren’t images on here of what the OP means, I logged in to take some. This is before and after. This is with 5 stacks of bioluminescent, the maximum you can have. I chose a dark room, AKA the Dalaran Sewers. This is on Max Settings, btw.

As you can see, it’s VERY noticeable. I personally thing it helps see things better, but I can easily understand why it would make some people have vision problems. I had the same issue with Vortex Pinnacle on my laptop. I’m not sure why, but it was blinding. Like, I was in a dark room and it lit the room up. It doesn’t do it on this computer, but it was horrible on my laptop.

EDIT: Also to note, other people can have the same buff and the buff compounds on itself, so it will get brighter and brighter if more people have it. Back in 9.0, there was a group in Stormwind doing it to everyone in the auction house and it was horrible. Unfortunately, with a 1 hour cooldown on the bowl, and not wanting to bother my friends to help, I can’t show that.

3 Likes

Yea they should remove this effect or reduce it greatly when people spam it in one place, it’s literally just annoying, and anyone defending this kind of thing is basically why the game is so horrid today. People in the replies literally are like “but muh trolling is fun”. Literally, if the internet had no anonymity some of y’all would get beat up so quick.

3 Likes

Why not just remove ALL toys from RP realms? Seems that most of the complaints come from those realms anyway.

5 Likes

Can I ask you what sort of lighting setting you have set for yourself? And im not sure how to share pictures on the forums, or I’d show my screenshot I have.

The lighting doesn’t strobe, though.

Now, the instance that you’re talking about, the Druid who keeps going into dark bars with the combo of fish to make the light pink, I don’t know what they’re doing but it seems like they manage to get the lighting effect much, MUCH brighter than usual somehow. I’m not sure how. Even with every single fish stacked on my character it doesn’t emit bright pink light out the door and through the walls.

Something that they’re doing is making the light especially intense, but I can’t tell what it is. Maybe it should be reported as a bug.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t remember your DM, but apologies for coming off rude.

And you have no problem with:

• Ardenweald and the bioluminescent protomolecule everywhere?
  • Ashes of A’lar?
  • Astral Cloud Serpent?
  • Any of the Thundering Cloud Serpent lightning effects?
  • Raid & Dungeon mechanic special combat effects?
  • Glowing outlines?

Why single out the toy when all the things on the above list are far more prevalent?

7 Likes

The point I’ve been trying to make is that this one toy has a lightning effect that stacks, and people throw it on roleplayers unaware of it, and its a persisting bright red light, to the point where I have to leave the area I want to just hang around in, and I’ve tried messing around with my settings and brightness but it doesn’t work for me.

Not saying that Blizzard should keep restricting or removing toys, but when one is consistedly used in this way, something has to be done about it so it doesn’t cause actual real life eye problems for people.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. Honestly. :blush:

Many players have things in game, whether it be specific light effects, behaviors, [insert annoyance/personal safety danger here] that triggers us in various, mostly negative ways.

Let me rephrase my question: Is the toy you mentioned the only thing in the game that causes you an issue?

I ask because I have a friend who loves WoW, has epilepsy, and is on Gabapentin to control seizures, and plays anyway. Aside from the toy, and the list in my post above (I forgot to add Moonfire…and there’s a few more that bug her that I can’t remember at the moment, grrr), aren’t there others that bother you?

What she does to combat it is:

• Her graphic settings are good, but are just short of the glow point (Sun Shafts? I can’t remember and can’t log on at the moment :bathtub:.)
  • Her brightness and contrast are turned way down on her monitor settings and she wears sunglasses with blue-blocker coating because the meds help a lot, but half the game can mess her up if she’s not careful.

I’ve not played with that toy in ages, but from what I remember, it’s a buff that you can just click off if it’s on you. But when it’s on other people obviously you have no control.

I think the best solution would be to give everyone a setting that automatically disables things on your personal screen, instead of deleting the effects for everyone.

Kind of like the red UI frame flashing thing which warns when you’re low on health, which I’m pretty sure you can disable… right? No reason that couldn’t be extended to include things like the toy, Moonfire, etc…

3 Likes

Thank you for getting back to me on this, I really appreciate it.

Adjusting my settings to what your friend has and, it actually really does help so thanks again for the fast reply <3

1 Like

Tell me your in goldshire without telling me you are in goldshire.

My pleasure! Sorry it wasn’t faster. I’m typing with one hand on an iPad Mini. :laughing:

1 Like

They did add a lot of accessibility options last year. Have you had a play with any of those to see if they tone down the toy at all?

EDIT: Looks like you’ve already gotten some good advice. Hopefully you’ve got it under control now. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I threw up links to a bunch but I can’t embed. It gets a lot worse than what you show for sure. Saw someone stacked with it in SW and every time they went into the AH it just went brighter than bastion, with them running in and out over and over it got annoying quickly.

there’s a setting for motion sickness if I recall, that should help.