Release Mage Tower Statistics

There’s also the fact that, compared to attempts and completions, the 7.2 stats indicate that only 0.88815% of runs succeded in completion (135000/15200000) and when you multiply out the clears by the ‘average number of attempts to clear’ you end up with 4,320,000, meaning, only 28.4% of the characters that attempted in that first week cleared it and were the minority of attempts. Based on the data we had.

And, like you pointed out, most people didn’t try it back then and there were high end players doing repeats so, if we go with say…18/36 clears possible (half, which I know isn’t disclosed but seems like a good metric to go with) then that’s only about 14.2% of players who attempted it cleared it, in the initial release.

There’s also the fact that most players had the expectation that if it was as hard as the OG Mage Tower (if not harder depending on who you ask) the original appearances would come back, and now it’s in a state with what most consider ‘lesser’ rewards for a higher bar of entry, and it was also used in marketing to bring players back, and they released an untested version that was ‘stealth buffed’ between the PTR and Live because people on the PTR were clearing it to reliably despite those being, typically, streamer types or people at the higher end of play, and those same people saying it was in a good place being a challenge but still feeling fair, maybe in need of some minor tweaks.

-edit- Yes, I did this all as ‘back of the hand’ type stuff for working with what data we had, there’s only so much a prof administrator for a work team can do with so few data points when it comes to comparative analysis

2 Likes

Oh yeah, players def burned out on PvP Brawls by having them up always instead of once every other week.

Don’t have to spam it constantly.

It’s definately not.

15.2M attempts. “Not popular”. LMAO.

1 Like

Did you just skip my entire post?
Do you consider 67,000 players who succeeded popular?

Graphic says 135k. And yes, for something that was tuned for Tomb gear without Tomb having been released, for 135k people to succeed, you know there’s a ton trying.

1 Like

Graphic says 135k characters who cleared it. That does not tell us neither the number of unique players or the number that tried but did quit. It’s very small graphic with not enough data to extrapolate inferences. Go re-read my post.

Finally I can put my work’s political data science to real good use, WoW MT epeen flexing. :smiley:

Dude, 135k players that succeeded with an average of 32 attempts to succeed means 8.8M Attempts were done by others who didn’t succeed. That’s a lot of engagement for a piece of content that had an entry fee of 1k Nethershards per attempt.

2 Likes

P r o v e i t

Look, you can try to deny it all you want.

Lets go back to your post.

Show me the word player on this infographic.

Where is 8.8m from?

What about that post ? Current stats would be open to comparison with Legion stats and would probably reveal the problems with the lack of a user base.

15.2M - (135k * 32) = ~8.8M

Might wanna re-do your math on that.

Are you intentionally ignoring everything I’m saying?
Your post says nothing about players. Nothing about how many players attempted it. We don’t know how 32 is calculated here. We don’t know how many players tried many attempts on main, but very few on alt. We don’t know how many tried but quit. We have nothing to go off here.

You are probably correct that Blizz probably doesn’t want to show their true sub numbers, though.

This was my experience as well. IIRC, in the Legion the challenge was mostly about surviving mechanics. In TWing it is that plus a DPS check, which also changes the strategy. I finished mine in 80 pulls. First 20 we’re just relearning mechanics. I got more serious and started using consumables after that. Using Crusader enchant, even after nerf, was very helpful for self-healing. Didn’t get that until maybe 60 pulls in.

1 Like

Why ?

135k (successes) * 32 (average attempt count to succeed) = 4320000 attempts accounted for.

15.2M total attempts - 4.32M accounted for attempts = (EDIT : 10.88M) attempts unaccounted for.

Simple math.

If you remember the old mage tower release, you’d know most people didn’t do 2 characters for a single player. When some of the top players like Lazel had to butt their heads against it for that entire week because Prot Paladin was massively overtuned, you didn’t exactly get the time to do it on an alt.

Just get a single crusader enchant and the dps check is a joke.

I struggled to beat the check without it. Once I had it, beat it with more than a minute to spare. Trivial.

After how easy Mage Tower was for Guardian Druids in Legion compared to how hard it was for Prot Paladins back then, I am throughly enjoying the shoe being on the other foot.

I wouldn’t say trivial, but Crusader did give me hope that is was doable. The main thing I noticed from having it was not needing to pour so much Holy Power into WoG self-healing.

Try one more time.

So they were trying the whole week, but the average is 32?
Think about it.
And yeah, prot was famously difficult. I think there was a stat floating around at the time only 20 prot pallies did it pre nerfs or something like that. But that would only verify that MT is just as difficult as it was then, no?

Yeah you’re right, dunno why I was thinking 7.32M.

837 tried on their first try!

Remember, you had to farm 32k nethershards just to even do those attempts to begin with. Most people actually had to stop, farm shards, and go back for like 5-6 attempt, cuss, stop, farm shards again.

I would say trivial. If I pulled the boss with crusader from the start I would have beat the fight in roughly 12-15 pulls by my estimation. Not the absolute easiest but pretty trivial - with crusader enchant you win if you don’t die (and crusader helps you not die too).

Lol, it’s all good.

Not impossible. Back then, and now, fire mage is/was incredibly easy compare to unholy (example I used). If they did unholy, however long it takes, and then did fire mage it’s not impossible to one shot it. And that’s what I’m trying to get at. We don’t know if those one shots are just new attempts overall, or just an alt.

Yeah but the cost was cheap. 100 shards, no? That’s 320 attempts if you had 32k stocked up. I do remember failing a lot and grinding a bit lol.