Reclaiming Gilneas!

I kind of hope Gilneas gets a subplot where Ivar and his pack have moved into the kingdom, and they are trying to get more Gilneans to join their ranks and become worgen. They don’t have to be bad per se, but maybe make it where like Ivar is just turning people who are willing or something, but not all of them can handle it.

So there are some areas that just have feral worgen running around as mindless beasts and we have to try and stop them.

1 Like

Buh my faction war that literally no one wants.

Promises about getting Gilneas back go all the way back to Cata please stop.

2 Likes

There’s a screenshot floating around from the PTR of dead Scarlet Crusaders in Gilneas.

Also of one with all the story chapters. Cant post pictures unfortunately

People don’t take them anymore seriously than the Scarlets, but I would kind of like to see some Syndicate troops trying to occupy a section of Gilneas. Since they’re supposed to be an organization of displaced nobles, an abandoned kingdom would be a tempting prize for them.

While I’m on the subject of Alterac, maybe have a few humorous encounters against the Crushridge ogres who are interested in a castle that isn’t somewhere so cold.

1 Like

The Scarlet Crusade are a boring cliche. Give us something else.

2 Likes

You don’t like The Scarlet Crusade? What a surprise.

1 Like

The Scarlet Crusade are an overused relic from Vanilla that should’ve been wiped out years ago (and were by the Ebon Blade - you’re welcome - if not for plot armor and retcons), who went stale by Legion and have a track record of failure that’d make Team Rocket and Wile E. Coyote blush; of course I don’t like them.

3 Likes

It kinda was. Sylvanas gave Darius a choice. Pull out of Silverpine and keep Gilneas or continue fighting and your daughter becomes an undead. As the Alliance took back control over Gilneas during the Silverpine questing.

In patch 4.3 we see that a Black Drakonid took over the city and Wrathion sent his new rogue champion to assassinate the guy.

So it was safe to assume that Gilneas was still Alliance held after Lord Creeds death. That was until MoP where Varian basically says they lost control over it off screen.

1 Like

In bfa there is a mission table where he is fighting again.
Yeah that really just confirms for me that gilneas exists in an undefined state where blizz couldn’t decide what to do with it.

There was supposed to be worgen questing in the area but they only finished the Horde side, which is why a bunch of worgen stuff happens on Horde instead.

Legendary weapon questlines ( not Artifact Weapons) Are generally not really canon? Or loose canon that is rarely brought up again. The only real exception being Tarecgosa due to the fact that it had a unique mount model tied to the weapon itself that people wanted to use elsewhere. Otherwise they are treated as just pure gameplay things.

In the Ultimate Visual Guide which came out after, it said that Gilneas was still plagued and inhospitable to life. Then followed up at the end of Siege of Orgrimmar at the end of Mists which said that Gilneas still needed to be cleansed and cleaned up.

Again, that is just the problem with Gilneas, its been a mess within the lore since the very beginning. Contradictions after contradictions, changing to whatever fits for that moment.

2 Likes

As a Worgen main that was exactly my reaction!

1 Like

No they are canon. I mean the legendary dagger quest line formally introduces the player to Wrathion (which MoP does again for people who did not do the questline) plus it leads to the deaths of certain characters. Such as Nalice and Fahrad. And iirc, Wrathions take over of the Ravenholdt guild is referenced in Legion.

Thats why I say loosely canon. It’s nice that Wrathion acknowledges you when you first start the MoP cape with him, starting off friendly. But other items such as Sulfuras hammer, Shadowmourne is a big one, Illidan’s warglaives, etc. They will give little nods here and there, but never will they be large important stuff.

After all, in character if your character had any of those legendary weapons, why would they give them up to chase after artifact ones? It is just one of those silly little things where gameplay exists and lore has to bend a bit to justify it instead of the other way around.

I’ll give you Sulfuras hammer, but we don’t actually take it off Ragnaros. Merely make a second copy in a round-a-bout sort of way. Illidans warglaives are interesting as he does not have them in Legion. Instead he uses the mage tower appearance for Havoc’s artifact. Shadowmourne I believe is still canon.

That is just gameplay > lore. Which happens most of the time sadly.

It’s the scarlets, the quest/chapter names confirm it. Spoilers I guess.

3 Likes

Ugh ok, I guess. I dont particularly like the Scarlets but man kinda of a letdown and does feel Forsaken Heritsge armor 2.0.

8 Likes

That is kind of lame. You’d hope it’d be an enemy more tied to the worgen.

9 Likes

Called it, it’s pretty much the safest option. Put in Sylwaifu loyalist foreskinners and horde players would screech too much so it’s back to the poor ol’ scarlets, who gained a million new members offscreen somehow after being destroyed 8 times over the course of WoW.

Classic Blizzard trash writing. Scarlets probably recruit on the same website as primalists.

10 Likes

Well, I suppose it answers the question of where they were coming from if you can assume they’ve spent the last 5 years squatting in Gilneas to rebuild their forces.

1 Like