Reclaiming Gilneas!

Same here, but what can we say?

The writing team has hidden the story on the PTR to avoid the negative reactions IF the story is as we imagine it.

Who know?
Maybe the Blight thrown at the Scarlet Crusaders is just a flashback showing that the Forsaken are unable to deal with them, then Genn and his army arrive and tell the Forsaken to help from the side and don’t get in his way.

But knowing Blizzard, it’s more likely to be Genn who asks for help.

4 Likes

If the story isn’t what we think, why go to such lengths to hide it? They’re just kicking the can down the road. The opposition will just be shown when it’s released.

1 Like

Well, i try to be positive because currently, i only want to smash my keyboard on the writers for being so disrespectful toward the worgen community.

So i’m trying to hope that MAYBE we will have few good surprises.

The thing is…they have hidden the story but also the new mount and the new transmogs.
It makes everything even more suspicious because usually, showing these help to hype the event and bring positivity.
So contrary to the NE, it’s very possible that we will only have recolors for the mount and transmogs, adding fuel on the fire.

4 Likes

I wish cities were revamped to be like that, sprawling, atmospheric… It’s an MMORPG… Imagine what could be if it wasn’t a theme park… :wolf:

4 Likes

Speaking of it, do we know if the quest is time gated? I would hate to log in after a 8 hour downtime for the patch only to hit a wall and have to wait the next reset

2 Likes

Been waitin’ for this for 13 bloody years. The mystery adds a lot of hype and excitement but also gives the potential for disappointment. It’s going to be interesting, to say the least.

5 Likes

Just checked on Wowhead, Cata began in year 28 and DF began in year 40. Considering DF is at its end, and each recent expac has taken 2 years, we can assume 10.2.5 takes place at the start of year 42, maybe end of year 41.

This means ingame its been aprox 14 years since Gilneas fell, wich corresponds with irl time with Cata releasing in 2010, fourteen years ago.

Its been well over a decade ingame since our characters were first displaced. This is a lot of time, like there are gilnean tweens now that never knew their homeland :thinking:

7 Likes

I still think the plot of the Scarlets entering a truce with the Worgen to fight off the Forsaken, only to then eventually turn on the Worgen, was a much more interesting idea than this.

For anyone not aware, during BfA, you could find readable pamphlets littered around Tirisfal written by the Scarlet “Brotherhood”, mostly consisting of crazy conspiracy theories but one in particular talked about allying with the Worgen until all undead were removed from Lordaeron before the Scarlets would turn on the Worgen for a “human-only Lordaeron”. Not only would this give the Scarlets a much-needed respite, albeit temporary, from being the Saturday morning cartoon villains that they are, but also some interesting lore/storylines.

I guess after BfA’s poor handling of the faction war which then transitioned to Sylvanas’ …well, everything in Shadowlands, they abandoned that idea in favor of a much more easier, neutral conclusion of the Forsaken and Worgen teaming up against the Scarlets who somehow have enough numbers to squat out the entirety of Gilneas.

Maybe we’ll get a proper Scarlet-themed pony mount from the quest line, as if it was stolen. :sob:

Edit: Or one of the two clean Scarlet tabards?! pls blizz

4 Likes

I mean them abandoning the idea implies that it was an idea that was being considered in the first place.

The pamphlets, the worgen one included are crazy conspiracy level propaganda made by some random insane Scarlet to spread their conspiracies to sow distrust from some and garner support from others.

It was probably never something ever planned.to actually happen cause they no doubt knew that Gilneas would never ally with them. That is also under the assumption that the one writing these/making these plans is the leader of the Scarlets and had the authority among their ranks to even propose an alliance, and that it wasn’t probably just some off-his rocks conspiracy preacher

(Also on your last point- if the transmog or mount from the culmination of the Gilneas storyline after 14 years is randomly Scarlet themed and not Gilneans themed the community will riot. We have got more Scarlet themed cosmetics for this group of light fascist cockroaches in the past few months thanks to the trading post, then worgen have in a decade)

6 Likes

Woah, uh, I’m sensing some weird hostility in your reply. Maybe it wasn’t intentional? I don’t know.

It’s just an idea I liked and thought was interesting, at least more interesting than what is being done (or what we know of since the quest line doesn’t come out for another two days).

While they’re definitely conspiracy theory levels of crazy, what with the whole Menethil heir, the Worgen plot was the one that felt the most like a plan opposed to just rambling, and I thought it was neat. BfA was the expansion they came out in, and BfA is also the expansion that fumbled the faction war/conflict, so I was theorizing it was tossed aside because of player’s vocal backlash to any further faction war stuff, because if the plan were to have happened, it would undoubtedly lead to Worgen vs Forsaken. It’s true that it’s unlikely Genn would team up with the Scarlets (at least after his outlook change) but I also don’t feel Worgen and Scarlets allying together makes any less sense than the Worgen and Forsaken, y’know, the group that actually caused the whole mess in the first place.

And right, but who knows what rewards there will or won’t be. Hoping for just a one-off Scarlet related item doesn’t mean there also wouldn’t be Worgen-related mogs or that I wouldn’t want those things for others!

I’m also semi-joking, I don’t expect anything Scarlet related to drop :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They often create little story hooks or threads that they leave dangling to pick up on later. So it very well could of been a little bit of a possibility that a crumb of that idea was suggested at one point in time. Or even just a writer fleshing about a bit of world lore while the overall plot threads of the expansion were still being decided on.

I think when they decided on Sylvanas being the leader of the Horde, the idea of the Scarlets leading the charge, or being the Forsaken’s main antagonist probably was discarded as it was felt they can’t pose that big of a threat anymore.

Sadly I also don’t believe Player feedback had anything really to do with dropping the Faction conflict/How BfA played out at all. It really was just horribly rushed and internal mismanagement/disorder.

I thought that each expansion lasted one year. And there’s also the five year timeskip between Shadowlands and Dragonflight.

Another reason why it’s dumb that the Scarlet Crusade are used here (at least the Forsaken heritage quest had the excuses of 1) both want Lorderaen 2) both dwell in Lorderaen 3) past history).

While I would have hated that idea because Genn should know better than to work with the Scarlets, ever…

I hate it a whole lot less after seeing a screenshot of blight being used.

4 Likes

I think this is probably the best example of small details mattering. Clearly we won’t know the context until we actually play, but it being used in the promotional image is not a good idea.

Clearly from a gameplay standpoint, Blight/Green barrel bombs are easily identifiable as Forsaken. It is part of the Faction’s identity and part of their theme. While the Orcs, ‘main’ horde use the spike wooden demolishes that throw fireballs.

So even if it is just them taking an existing asset and placing it down without changing anything, it changes the narrative of what is going on. Oh they can easily say in text that this is instant vaporizing blight or something, only designed for impact and not to last after. Still visually it does not mesh with the intention of the overall event.

5 Likes

I admit that Genn wouldn’t work with them after his arc, but Genn during Legion or BfA might’ve, since he was so keen on seeing the Forsaken and to a greater extent, Sylvanas, crushed.

Maybe the barrels of blight on the preview are being used by rogue Forsaken loyalists who are still lingering and fighting the Scarlets.

Or maybe it’s just a battalion of Forsaken who aren’t caught “up to speed” on the changes in warfare now that Sylvanas is gone. Cue scolding by Voss while Calia looks on as a way to cement that the Forsaken have changed.

2 Likes

The first few expacs took a year each, but lately they took 2, and that’s why the time skip for DF is actually 3 years. Shadowlands lasted for 2 years and then we skip 3 for DF, this got people very confused for a while.

3 Likes

I’m really hoping this is a misunderstanding… I don’t want to hate my undead kin, I love their concerts.

2 Likes

I think it’s going to end up being the same Scarlet leader who survived the forsaken heritage quest and somewhere along the way recruited enough scarlets to squat inside Gilneas.

I’d rather it have been sylvanas holdouts who were secretly holding up within Gilneas and were building an army amongst the recently killed scarlets and they decided now was the time to strike at both the forsaken and the worgen to at least better explain them suddenly teaming up out of the blue

But we’ll see how the quest line goes I guess.

4 Likes

I’m hoping it’s a thing like Alissa above suggested; some rogue Sylvanas loyalists who didn’t rejoin the fold. Or like… Scarlets for no good reason other than being poorly written antagonists throwing some leftover blight around, just to double-down on how super duper evilly evil they are.

If it’s the actual forsaken, I riot.

That’s terrible for the Horde, terrible for the worgen, and terrible for storytelling everywhere.

5 Likes

Commander Forsythe or whatever? Doesn’t he die?

he didn’t have the foresight to see that coming

5 Likes