Reclaiming Gilneas!

So, it just dawned on me and I now find it actually kind of funny thinking about it. But back in the day, one of the often cited excuses as to why worgen fans would never gilneas back is because it was a battleground.

Certain irony to that claim being debunked. Granted it took 13 yrs, but it’s funny in the moment now.

2 Likes

I think the retaking of Gilneas, Undercity and the creation of Bel’amwth are the groundwork of a world revamp. Maybe the plan is every race to have their own hub city eventually.

3 Likes

I’m thinking the same thing. I wonder if blizzard will ever do something with the Exodar down the road. It sorely needs some updating to bring it up to date with the modern lore.

1 Like

Not being a crashed ship but an actual city would be a good first step.

Then there is the Gnome issue, will their capital be Gnomeragan or Mechagon?

We know 11.0 wont really touch the old world much, all zones are new, but the plot is about the sword in Silithus, so a Kalimdor update could be happening soon, and by Midnight there is Silvermoon and quel’thalas, so maybe an EK revamp there?

They also mentioned that a World Revamp is pretty much off the table. But they will update old zones if they’re relevant to the story being told. So, I’m guessing they plan to rollout the revamps as needed, so another Cata doesn’t happen and half the content has to be cut to get said expansion out

I would say Gilneas lucked out in that the “original” battleground never went live and the current Battleground is not set in the city.

If the original Battleground remained in place then I doubt Blizzard would ever add the Alliance reclaiming the city.

1 Like

It might be that each faction helping the other undo BfA is part of the plan.

Though my guess is that the Horde helps so they can use the content for both sets of players, rather than generate separate Horde content.

please
just a crumb of faction war

1 Like

Nope. Team Spooky Boys Sleepover.

1 Like

I brought the magazines, and this one’s got a full six-page article and some paparazzi gnome-image-device photos of Tess and what she’s been up to during Shadowlands.

1 Like

IDK if I like that idea. Being manipulated twice by two different Dreadlords was fine and made sense. Having it happen a third time just feels like a recycled plotline or, even worse, a running gag.

9 Likes

Now that i think about it, it was curious that this time the story wasn’t on the PTR.
Not even the beginning.

I guess they knew their story wouldn’t appeal to most of us (if not a clear rejection), and that they could get away with it by presenting us with a fait accompli.

10 Likes

I brought up this very point with some friends. I wonder if they wanted to push their Disney everyone is friends narrative, and knew people would dislike it given how forced it would be in this situation, so rather than put it on PTR and have people realize it sucks and want it changed they just kept it hidden and secret.

11 Likes

It doesn’t even make sense for the worgen to trust the forsaken, let alone work with them. Not after gilneas, and especially not after teldrassil.

But I suppose we’ll see in three days how it plays out. The major thing I keep telling myself is that we’re getting gilneas back at least.

9 Likes

Yeah, i thought that they wanted to give us the surprise of a big event but no.

It’s the act of cowards incapable of accepting that their story appeals only to themselves and not to the majority.
Frankly, i would like to discuss with the writers to have explanations on why they’re writing a story that they know the majority will not like (as far as i can tell, this is the general reaction)

2 Likes

That’s the thing, the majority of WoW players I feel like don’t want anymore faction conflict, myself included, because Blizzard can’t write faction wars. At all. The game is a two faction system so neither side can win or lose, thus it will always be unsatisfactory.

However! Just because I don’t want anymore faction war doesn’t mean I want stupid stories that nonsensical like the Gilneans being okay with accepting help from the Forsaken and letting them blight gilneas city again. That is stupid no matter how you slice it, and Blizzard should be ashamed for even thinking it was okay to write this story.

I want realistic stories. Have the Forsaken offer to help cause they want to make amends, but have Genn and the Gilneans say no thanks and to let them handle it themselves. That way the Gilneans aren’t written to be inept and stupid. And then have Calia do the same thing she did in the Forsaken Lordaeron story where she disguises the player (for Horde people) and have them go help the Gilneans that way Horde players can do the content, but the actual Horde faction has no involvement.

7 Likes

Same here, i want believable stories. Here the thing: You have the leader and his people.
If the leader could be okay to work with the Forsaken, what about the people?

With the Blight alone, I bet that angry mobs would shoot the Forsakens on sight, even if they had good intentions.
I expect Gilneas to be NOT neutral - at all, because logically the Gilneans haven’t forgotten the exile and Tel Drassil.
Making peace and reconcile take time.

You can write stories with both faction at peace AND respect the good/bad relationship between races.

7 Likes

They’ve taken this approach to race/faction content for a while now. Anticipated lore invariably releases to a ton of demands to tweak, scrap, or redo entire segments that just can’t be feasibly redone with constraints like voice acting involved. Makes you wonder if the Burning of Teldrassil would have gone the same way had the PTR spoiled its ugly particulars before the Warbringers short torpedoed the canon with them.

1 Like

This is an insane concept to most it seems lol.

Highlighted the part where you jumped to conclusions.

They already foreshadowed some of this with Genn and Anduin agreeing that some Forsaken might be good people (Rogers refused and called them all monsters.)

I think the bad writing was the part where Sylvanas was using blight in Cataclysm after both Thrall and Garrosh told her to cut it out and then she did it anyway and faced no consequences. But that’s because blight is very much a one-way street in that it’s hard to sweep under the rug but also because it had already been used once with Sylvanas going “that wasn’t me, I would never.”

Which is to say, the writers either should not have used blight in the Gilneas story, or else moved faster to replace Sylvanas with Voss. But the whole “Sylvanas outsmarts everyone” gripe has been compained to death, I who avoided Legion/BFA/SL do not have any substantial new take on it.

1 Like