Reclaiming Gilneas!

Are you sure about that? I got curious and did some image searches, and I find use of this gif going as far back as 2018, as a part of a meme video about Iraq.

yes its a 2015 rocket attack from the russian boarder attacking the donbas

I can always change it, if you like. There’s a ton of gifs on giphy to pick from.

1 Like

i guess its just one of those things i dont care about enough for you to change but i care enough to post about what it is

Well, I appreciate the information either way. It’s honestly something I didn’t know about.

1 Like

Fair alot of people dont know about Russia attacks on Ukraine in 2014 to 2015 outside that flight being shot down, cause western media just didnt cover it

1 Like

I’m excited for it! I’d prefer not to be lobbing barrels at the city, but I’m certain my place here is to be helpful but useless so that you can show off your prowess and take the city back purely on your strength and cunning alone, showing off the Worgen’s unique blend of savage tenacity and dapper stoicism. Cough Blizzard please do this Cough

2 Likes

But anyways, Yes forsaken and worgen working together side by side, i bet money that after the last titan there will be no factions

I don’t think I can give the benefit of the doubt anymore. They are killing off the factions in every way that matters. They might not be finished, more is probably to come. We are never getting non-neutral races. We are never going to see some form of moral parity.

We have DWARVES on the HORDE. Alone, I can just sort of laugh that off as an expansion anomaly. But when taken in context with the wider trend, from the main characters of the War Within to the centering of “Elven tribes” in Midnight, to the threat of Amani villain bat/neutralification, to the general aesthetic of the Titans we are getting in the Last Titan… I can HEAR the Horde’s themes dying with a whimper.

This is not some kind of detente to try to even out the factions. There is no attempt to achieve some kind of moral parity that acknowledges the grievous narrative mistakes made and respect the agency of the Alliance and Horde.

They want sweep BFA under the rug. I can’t. I just can’t ignore it. I can’t stand the writers can just try shoehorn in some kind of Final Fantasy/Guild Wars style unity. I can’t. This is not Tyria. This is not Eorzea (I am not familiar with FF). This is Azeroth s$%^ happened and it can’t just unhappen.

Vented a little, just wanted to get this out. Experienced sheer amounts of frustration when I saw the announcement the Forsaken would be helping. I mean OPENLY helping. If it was just us going disguised to artificially bloat up patch content I would be fine. But that is not this.

2 Likes

i am just happy cause nelf players have been told for years that we should shut up about our fantasy and we should just enjoy the slop blizzard been giving out, and well, now its everyone else’s turn, and I get a nice 2 yearish break next xpac before midnight comes to make the elves in there own faction, and make silvermoon neutral and all that

1 Like

Thoughts like this are a horrific take. The entire lesson with Gilneas is one of camaraderie and not being isolationist. Deciding to cloister up and go ‘non-dogs sod off’ and make Gilneas a Worgen-only affair, whether in declaration or act, goes entirely against the lessons Gilneas’s fall was meant to teach.

Gilneas being reclaimed ‘for Gilneans’ undermines their membership in and devotion to the Alliance as a whole.

Also Tess should not become a Worgen. It’s like the Forsaken; these are bad things to be with horrific consequences so they should be curtailed ASAP. Either by brewing to cure the problem or waiting the until the problem dies out.

I’m thinking here.

The forsaken helping Gilneas, in 10.2.5, and in 10.2.0, the most horde centric questline in amirdrassil was also with a Forsaken.

Like, no push for orcs, blood elves, trolls, specifically forsaken. Maybe the devs are trying to push the narrative that the forsaken are a force of good? But I’m not sure forsaken players even like that.

Anyways, just weird shower thoughts.

2 Likes

It’s probably more that the Forsaken were, uh, not so much a force for good under Sylvanas, and gestures like this (and Amirdrassil, and whatever else) go a ways to justify their return to power in Lordaeron.

2 Likes

Whereas needing the rest of the Alliance to help evict the Scarlet Squatters shows that the Gilneans are less competent than the forsaken, who did that same job all on their own.

Gilneas didn’t fall because the Gilneans were isolationists. It fell because a civil war happened, followed by a curse spreading as the entire world got rocked by Deathwing, and before anyone could get over that little fun bit, the forsaken were marching into the city. Gilneas fell because they kept getting hammered and never got a chance to so much as catch their breath. Gilneas fell even when they did have allies in the form of the night elves, who arrived before the forsaken even stepped on Gilnean soil, before Deathwing shattered the world. Gilneas fell because what they faced was insurmountable.

So no, I reject the idea it was isolationism that caused the fall, because that isolationism ended well before the worst arrived.

And I likewise reject the notion that Gilneans reclaiming Gilneas is somehow a hit to the Alliance. Showing that Gilneans can reclaim their own homeland only strengthens the Alliance, because it was by joining the modern Alliance and befriending the night elves and working with other nations that the Gilneans even survived long enough to reclaim Gilneas. It was only by rebuilding themselves with the Alliance’s aid that they grew strong enough to retake their home.

A horrific take is that only with the rest of the alliance can the worgen do anything, that this relatively underdeveloped race doesn’t deserve to have this one thing be about them because it has to be about everyone else too.

9 Likes

them being that caused most of the other problems lol

Ralaar Fangfire, Alpha Prime, didn’t attack because Gilneas was isolated; he attacked because he was summoned there and wanted to spread his curse.

The Cataclysm didn’t happen because Gilneas was isolated; Deathwing gave no craps.

The Forsaken didn’t move on Gilneas because it was isolated (by then it wasn’t); Garrosh wanted Sylvanas to have a harbor, and Sylvanas wanted everything north of the Thandol Span.

Most of their problems were utterly unconcerned with Gilneas being isolated. You could argue the last one was exasserbated by Gilneas’s by then past isolationism, but frankly? Sylvanas never let a city being fully aligned with the Alliance stop her from burning it to a stump in the ocean. Or fully plaguing it, like she did everywhere that opposed her in her EK campaign.

10 Likes

Yes, no, but not really.

The isolationism compounded every other problem that they faced. Instead of being able to request additional soldiers, medical supplies, food, armor, weapons, or even a place to send their non-combatants to so they would be protected etc… etc…, Gilneas had no one to turn to for help. They only had themselves and on their own maybe they could have eventually gotten the worgen curse under control and maybe they could have rebuilt after the Cataclysm and maybe they could have fought off the forsaken, but not all at once. Not all on top of one another. It was more then Gilneas could bare, more then any singular nation could have born.

It’s the same story that played out in Quel’thalas during WC3, the same story for Suramar, and it’s probably going to be the same story for Khaz’Algar. Cutting yourself off from the outside world only keeps you safe for so long, until the unexpected happens. Then, if you can’t adapt in time, you’re dead. Having allies who can watch your back and help you out gives you that much more time to adapt and recover.

1 Like

Incorrect. It shows a unity of force; mess with one member of the Alliance and the entirety will respond. Gilneas won’t look better if they insist on doing this on their own, they’ll look distrustful of those that are supposed to be their allies. Genn causes nothing but problems when he ‘goes rogue’ and does his own thing. Then going and rewarding that mindset with a city is the exact opposite of the entire narrative.

Their isolationist stance didn’t help anything; closing their doors meant would-be Alliance assistants also couldn’t get in to monitor and support the situation. And as you said, the curse broke Gilneas, the Forsaken just swept up the pieces. Having contact with other Alliance assets beyond the luck of the curse being related to the NE would have gone a long way with at least making sure there was a knife pointed back in case the Horde got frisky. If the Worgen Curse wasn’t related to the Night Elves, Gilneas dies that night.

The massive lesson overall with WoW’s narrative is “United we stand, divided we fall.” This goes triple for Gilneas and Genn, because they were late to the party in WC2 and let their distrust re-blind then in WoW. Plus, it would make Genn a full-on fool to demand Worgen lives be the majority shed for Gilneas; you have membership in the Alliance for a reason, remember? You have allies now, you should be ready to lean on them and demonstrate solidarity over personal gain.

You said the civil war was the biggest problem, and that was caused by the isolation

Well, again, except for the night elves, whom they did get aid from. And it didn’t matter in the least, because Sylvanas’s campaign moved too quickly. That’s not my assumption; that’s what the quest chain tells you. If the already-present night elves can only help with a full evacuation, the chances of Stormwind or Ironforge being better positioned to help shortly after the world broke are pretty damn slim and unlikely to have made a difference; the entire battle, start to finish, is written as a withdrawal action, not a real chance for victory, because Sylvanas’s forces were too strong and too numerous.

Inoccrect; because nobody is “messing with one of us, you mess with all of us” here. This isn’t the Scarlets picking the fight; they’re the ones already present after the full Gilnean withdrawal.

I’m not arguing isolation was the smart play. I’m stating, pointing out as canonical fact by the chain of events as portrayed within the narrative, that the isolation was over when the worst came. That the prior isolation was largely irrelevant by the time Sylvanas decided she wanted the northern half of the Eastern Kingdoms.

I agree.

But as a very prominent side-lesson, the narrative also heavily highlights other, very important lessons as well.

• Heroes working towards a goal can accomplish more than either the Horde or the Alliance.
  • Relying too heavily on your Over-Faction (Horde or Alliance) is generally not a great idea (See: All recent Horde writing, and also Darkshore).
  • Individual members within the Over-Factions need to be strong on their own as well.

We’ve seen that a unified Azeroth can stop gods. We’ve seen that a unified faction is also strong. We have seen for a handful of racial factions that they can also be strong enough to handle their own problems.

It can be the Gilneans’ turn. It doesn’t have to be taken from them and made into an ad hoc Alliance story. The Alliance as a whole does not need to run rampant over every race’s story.

5 Likes