Reclaiming Gilneas!

I always try to look at events through a RL/Gameplay lense first and then see how the lore of it would work.

For this I just see that they take some existing assets and place them there. A quick and easy job. Scarlets summoning a light shield as defenses? who knew these remnants had such power!

Gives it more of a “Lets get this thing done quick and over with” type of feel. Which, to be fair, does fit how Worgen as a playable race have been treated in WoW so far

1 Like

It’s mostly my exhausted ambivalence.

Like, sure, I can see a justification for Genn and Calia hugging the whole worgen - forsaken war to an end. I can see why it could be written to happen. I can see the precedent. I can see the logic.

I’d rather not-this. I’d very much prefer a not-this entirely. I’ve been vocal in this thread that it should be a worgen thing; no Alliance, no Horde, just worgen, with Horde players going through the questline the same as Alliance players did with Lordaeron; disguised and narratively effectively not there.

But I don’t get things like that. I don’t get a heroic worgen adventure. I don’t get Undercity reclaimed. I get worgen and forsaken cooperation and the Lordaeron ruins being the end of it all.

And I’m just ambivalent to it, because there were worse options on the table and frankly, in the past those worse options were what we got.

Mediocre is an improvement over horrible.

2 Likes

I’m waiting to see the actual questline before I decide if flipping out and being pissed is worth the effort. I’m not going to overreact over a few screenshots that don’t have much if any context to them.

I’m trying to be positive for the most part. But we’ll see how it goes. It might not be as bad as we think, or it could be a total disaster of a questline. We have to wait and see

2 Likes

Yuh, I’m at least looking towards the endgoal; Gilneas for the worgen. That’s a positive.

If the road we take to get there is covered in crap and Blight and who knows, Calia and Voss summon val’kyr to raise the dead scarlets or some evil other shenanigans?

Fine. Whatever.

Because at least the worgen get Gilneas back, so some net positive comes out in the end. That story finally has an ending after a decade and more of waiting.

1 Like

I think Genn is working on the principle of “What happens on the other side of the wall, stays on the other side of the wall” there

1 Like

That’s what I keep reminding myself of. Regardless of how it goes, gilneas is back in the hands of the worgen finally. That’s really all that’s important to me in the end.

On the other hand, we also knew for a while now that the horde was going to be helping in some matter, so this isn’t really a shock or a surprise. It’s not like this is coming out of nowhere.

1 Like

Genn thinks Lordaeron is Las Vegas confirmed!!

But yeah, that makes sense.

True. I had hoped it’s be similar to the Lordaeron bit, but this is what we’re getting, so here we are and we’ll have to wait for it to play out.

As long as Tess doesn’t accidentally die and get raised, it can always be worse.

… Oh dear god.

I just had a horrible thought.

If we end up finding out Sylvanas went back, raised Liam as a forsaken and his him this whole time, and Calia tries to reunite him with Genn…

No. No, they wouldn’t dare. No, this is just intrusive thoughts.

They would never.

2 Likes

I’m just gonna write it off as a generic green barrel of something and hope it;'s not the actual plague because boy that would be a bit much.

As for the Forsaken helping in general? I can see it from the perspective of trying to rebalance a ledger from the previous leader of the Forsaken, and Voss being involved makes more sense given their previous involvement with Amirdrasill

I’m looking forward to seeing if this turns out to be a more sensible take on how nations can actually interact as opposed to the usual Warcraft Fare of knuckledragging Team Sports But with Cannons

God if this isn’t the most true sentiment when it comes to WoW Story lately.

I’ll take “Hrm, could be better” or “C’mon, a little more ooomph” over the state of “THis is atrocious my day is ruined and what do you mean there’s more oh my god.” that BFA and Shadowlands left me feeling

5 Likes

But the Forsakens’ level of involvement should be much lower, of the same order as when we cleaned up Lordaeron at the end of Shadowland as an Alliance character.

Why the Forsaken can have their own story with minimal involvement of the Alliance and not the worgens?
It’s like they are desperate to make the Forsakens heroes after being nothing more than the Scourge in BfA.

Meanwhile the worgens were nearly never allowed to win something on their own.

I do get why we are getting this storyline, but it doesn’t mean that i’m pleased with this.

I’ll see how it will unfold, but giving Blizzard track record when it comes to the worgens, i’m just very pessimistic.

11 Likes

As your very own worgen alt, allow my very firstest post ever to be blaming you, who happens to be me, for putting this into the universe if it comes to pass.

I did not only make this post to see which transmog the forums decided to settle on after spending thousands of golds to change my worgo’s mog and still not be satisfied.

EDIT: It picked the most unliked one. Thank you weird forum past mog-picker.

4 Likes

Yes it did. You shall not be a pirate wolf, a salty sea dog. Because we could not find decent pants that did not look like armor, and the shirt is lackluster in worgo form.

Go back to mining fel iron now, silly poorly dressed worgo.

2 Likes

Make no mistake, by no means am I happy with this, nor am I even content. I’m just TRYING to remain optimistic and hope it’s not THAT BAD, but I have a distinct feeling it’s going to be another case of blizzard dunking on the worgen community again

And you’re right that it sucks that the worgen didn’t get to have a cool moment of retaking gilneas on their own and showing off why messing with them is a bad idea

3 Likes

I think there is a bit of element to that, to try and rehabilitate the forsaken in a way. For so long the “Forsaken” were really just Sylvanas and Nathanos, with only Voss being a Forsaken/Undead character who had a personality/different goal. Outside of her, pretty much every Forsaken NPC was just there to help move the Leader’s story forward.

With the old leadership gone, I think this is the Story team’s first step in trying to show that the Forsaken are not just cackling evil ghouls who dance on Sylvanas’ puppet strings.

So it can be yeah. “We are here to eliminate the Scarlet threat, and we can amicability aid you in taking back your country.”

/shrug. Again it’s tough to know until we actually play it out. Any real information will come from how Genn and Voss/Calia speak and interact with each other. And then the occasional text in quests as we progress through the questline on both sides.

And of course if there is any followup that doesn’t immediately retcon things for the sake of “Putting the War in WARcraft”

2 Likes

Sorry everyone, see when we ordered ordinance for the catapults, I accidentally filled out form BB7091 instead of NB5010.

The new forms are quite confusing, what with this whole council thing changing the paperwork and the command structure. It’s a mess. But not to worry, we’ll be swapping the barrels out for… rocks! In short order.

Plenty of rocks around here to hurl at the city, and we’ll definitely stop the catapults firing the moment the shield goes down. The very same moment, I assure you.

12 Likes

Would have been cool though if the Worgen made an alliance with the remaining Ettins in Gilneas and the surrounding country side and the ettins decided to help by being living siege weapons by hurling huge boulders over the wall at the Scarlets.

Like the good old days, when we lured one of the ettins and it crushed the forsaken given chase :wolf:

4 Likes

I love all you Story forum Forsaken Mains. Y’all always manage to make me laugh, even in blah and bland and too-tired-for-outrage situations.

3 Likes

Afterward the forsaken are like Don’t worry, we got really good at cleaning up our own messes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

thats a gif of war crimes

hello nezmith! i am getting my city back! :smile:

Come on guys, we all know you secretly want to :wolf:

2 Likes