Reclaiming Gilneas!

WOOF

Listen, the fact that term is looked upon unfavorably IRL, I don’t think this is the point you thought it was when you used it lol.

Wasn’t Maiev also willing to forgive Syra after she was imprisoned?

And isnt the whole WC3 night elf campaign about the night elves working with the orcs that just killed cenarius in hopes to defeat the BL?

6 Likes

I think the darkfallen alliance topic is a part of an issue I have with Azeroth being a world of characters and not people.

There should be a tremendous outcry when the leaders of the alliance have taken in darkfallen, man’ari and maybe even void elves. There was no serious cultural ramifications for any of this.

Just as a point of interest, why haven’t they used this as a point of intrigue and conflict for the alliance?

1 Like

The Darkfallen on Amirdrassil isle have kept to a specific corner and cannot be found elsewhere. That hints social acceptance of them is likely about where the Shen’dralar were until the WoT when they earned themselves a place. Tyrande may of allowed them back in, but her people still have significant misgivings.

Man’ari are a WHOLE 'nother ball of wax. I strain to accept the idea of the Draenei… or anyone… accepting the Man’ari given they are omnicidal demons who ended up on the wrong side of history and came crawling back to Velen looking for a new purpose.

3 Likes

I like the idea of repenting demons, but it feels too soon still and I struggled to make my man’ari make sense RP wise

2 Likes

I feel like the repentant Man’ari need their own organization separate from the main Draenei. Perhaps tied to the Illidari who could also serve as their Probation Officers ensuring they don’t regress into their Burning Legion habits.

5 Likes

I think they also needed a longer quest line than what we initially got. And yeah, them being separate from draenic culture would help also

3 Likes

Why would it when it has literally spent a decade welcoming races/personages that were until recently considered persona non grata.

It started with warlocks, then death knights, then worgens then demon hunters then void elves/dark irons then Darkfallen and now Man’ari. If anything welcoming back people, as long as they fight for the Alliance and do not threaten it, seems like a reccuring theme.

Hell, Varian went on a whole speech about what makes the Forsaken monsters and not the worgens is their actions. The Alliance has, for the most part, moved on from how people look and focus on their actions.

3 Likes

… Well, that’s a foot in mouth moment on my part. As stupid as this sounds to admit, I wasn’t even thinking of IRL connotations when I used the term. Sorry. I’ve edited my post.

9 Likes

Remember though, Varian absolutely hated Genn and the worgen when they first tried to rejoin the alliance. He was the only roadblock to them rejoining for a while in Wolfheart.

I admit I do forget what got Varian to change his mind. I’m pretty sure Goldrinn had something to do with it, but the details are fuzzy as it’s been a while since I read the book

1 Like

Goldrinn had nothing to do with it, not directly anyways. Genn and the Worgen basically showed they were total badasses and roflstomped the Horde in Ashenvale pushing them back, helping the Night Elves, and Varian was like aight yall can join. (This is paraphrasing, there was also some stuff about cooling Varian’s temper by having him do the ritual that the worgen went through and that helped him understand their plight and yada yada).

7 Likes

I dunno, that sounds about 100% as Varian as you could get.

5 Likes

But Varian did not hate them because they were worgens(ie not because of their looks) but because they were flaky allies in the past and left the Alliance when it needed them(I dont care if it was peace time, the Alliance was barely holding on/was dealing with multiple problems). In other words, Varian hated them for their actions.

1 Like

It always seemed a bit odd to me that Crowley or at least Lorna wasn’t made a bigger part of getting the Alliance to accept Gilneas again. Seems like if any Gilneans could have softened Varian’s stance, it would be the ones who’d remained Alliance sympathizers, sent aid to Lordaeron without permission during the Third War and outright started a civil war with Genn over his isolationist policies.

10 Likes

A sincere question here, why does that matter? Forsake and DKs are both undead. What does it signify showing the two hanging out? It doesn’t seem any different than two forsaken hanging around together to me.

Because literally at no point in the existence of World of Warcraft has this kind of logic been used or even acknowledged beyond the most paper thin of excuses.

I would love to have seen the parallel universe game where political alliances had weight and societies had meaningful inertia, but we started on shaky ground and then BC happened and at this point, blood elves and draenei seem like good writing decisions by comparison to what came later

At this point the lore is about as much of a lobby as the endgame gameplay is

5 Likes

Sounds easy enough of an answer why not. Drama. I personally enjoyed Varian verbally tearing Genn a new one. Sure I expected they would hug it out but I still enjoyed the cathasis of Varian getting to vent it all out.

Varian was a whiny witch, with a b, who was just jealous that Gilneas didn’t get wrecked by the Scourge. Gilneas had every reason to leave the Alliance since it was bleeding Gilneas dry, and it’s funny how ONLY Gilneas gets crap for leaving the Alliance of Lordaeron when Quel’thalas and Stromgarde also left the Alliance as well.

4 Likes

Both of them got wrecked so its not like Varian could scream at anyone in particular considering the leaders who made those decisions were dead.

If not for the Alliance there wouldnt have been a Gilneas and the Horde would have destroyed it along with everyone else.

And Genn was a fool who’s actions of leaving the Alliance ultimately lead to his nation having no one to turn to when his people needed help. And he had to come crawling back to the Alliance.

Gilneas did what they had to protect their own during the Second War. And Greymane was right, why should the gilneans have to pay to keep the orcs around?

And Varian was moron and I’m glad he’s dead

1 Like