Reclaiming Gilneas!

Warcraft’s “bad is good and good is bad” fetish is growing stale, especially as so many other stories are doing the same thing these days, and the Scarlet Crusade are a prime example of that.

Guys, you are talking to someone who thinks that muslims are better treated in the media than christians are.

Do you think reality matters here?

5 Likes

More lies and mockery from you, Smallioz. If I’m so bad, why not just ignore me? I’ll be doing that to you from now on.

1 Like

Little disappointed, I had hoped they would have multiple forces vying for the area. Scarlets are like WoW Third Reich Member’s though. Everyone feels good about punching a Third Reich Member .

It be interesting if the reason the Scarlets were able to build up and eventually attack the forsaken to begin with was because Calia’s insistence on the Forsaken pulling out of the region created a power vacuum, which her detractors among the forsaken lambast her over. Her kindness cost forsaken lives.

1 Like

On the so-called separation of church and how the founders only wanted to protect the church from the state:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/9-republicans-now-house-speaker-amid-historic-gridlock/story?id=104209532

On calling America a Christian nation (with bonus remark about how it should be a biblically sanctioned government):
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2023/10/mike-johnson-seminars-christian-nation-speaker-far-right/

On criminalizing homosexuality:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/politics/mike-johnson-gay-sex-criminalization-kfile/index.html

4 Likes

Strange, since the Scarlet Crusade have done far less than those Third Reich Members. In fact, Garrosh’s Kor’Kron and the Forsaken are more like those Third Reich Members than the Scarlet Crusade (with Sylvanas as their toothbrush mustache dictator for the latter, complete with death camps and brutal experiments).

1 Like

Well there’s been a 5 year gap following both a Scourge resurgence and major human kingdoms having pointless brutal wars of attrition and bizarre regime changes.

That level of dissatisfaction and disenfranchisement is a breeding ground for ideologies like the Scarlet’s.

And that’s if Blizz even wants to broach an explanation. Population numbers in this setting just do not matter. There’s always just enough. Presumably because fully formed adults spring from the wombs of barracks ready to fight.

5 Likes

Excusing this laziness from the writers is how we got bad lore like Shadowlands. We need to stop excusing and accepting bad writing just because they exploit nostalgia or pander to personal grudges.

Not sure if he’s right about the founders on the first, he’s not wrong about the history parts on the second, and I see why people don’t like the third (though he is right about the slippery slope part). Apart from him supporting criminalizing homosexual sex acts (not the urges themselves), I don’t see the boogeyman you and some others see.

I mean I won’t disagree the forsaken went full third reich. I am still cross Belmont made it out scot-free after the horrific things he perpetrated during his time overseeing the Forsaken occupation of Darkshore. But the Scarlets are still not exactly great. I would say they kind of deserve each other if it wasn’t for the fact the Scarlets attack everyone with equal level of hatred.

2 Likes

Forsaken are closer to the Third Reich than the Scarlet Crusade ever were.

That Reich rallied their national and racial identity around a “charismatic” leader; the Scarlet Crusade don’t have that but the Forsaken did.

The Third Reich carried out brutal experiments on captives. The Forsaken have done more of that than the Scarlet Crusade ever did.

The Third Reich actually managed to rise to power in a country, which the Forsaken have but the Scarlet Crusade haven’t.

The Third Reich were expansionist. The Forsaken helped take over Night Elf territory, destroyed their capital and salted the earth (especially in Ashenvale and Darkshore) with the Blight… the Scarlet Crusade just wanted Lorderaen.

Also, there was a point where the Forsaken, or at least one faction of them, wanted to kill all the living.

The Scarlet Crusade seem like a lesser evil compared to the Forsaken.

2 Likes

Presumably Faranell offered to help build a rocket ship in exchange for clemency. Works everytime.

3 Likes

2 Likes

When the forsaken hear about the retaking of gilneas I imagine Faranell would be like

4 Likes

I’m not opposed to glassing Scarlet Crusaders. I just hope we get a good explanation as to why the hell they’re actually here, and more than that, why are they opposing Gilneas reclaiming the kingdom?

2 Likes

It is rather dumb. Now as to why they continue to exist in general, during the Forsaken Heritage quest chain, Belmont explained that despite their many defeats there was always some old leader or new opportunist willing to take up the accursed banner.

It’s not a perfect explanation because you think by now, people would stay away and recognize a dying ship, but at least it’s something.

The Crusade has a known pro human, anti other races philosophy. To them the Worgen would be inhuman beasts.

7 Likes

After what she’s pulled I doubt she has any loyalist, or sympathizers left. Though this is Wow…

Still there are MORE interesting enemies they could have used. Like one of say Alpha’s underling trying to pursue his old goals, maybe have someone recently steal the scythe of Elune to try and make new worgens thus given both factions reason to unite.

Hell, maybe have some wolfcult members apparently trying to resurrect Arugal. The Northrend book made it seem like he kept bloody coming back.

5 Likes

Right, I forgot about the whole Scarlet Brotherhood Pamphlet thing.

2 Likes

I very much agree. They could have used one of the Wolfcults as you mentioned or even one of the Scourge warlords wanting Gilneas as a strategic point. That would have served as a callback to the Gilneas starting zone with the Forsaken invading because Garrosh saw Gilneas as a strategic point. A group of undead helped drove them out and a group of undead were defeated for them to reclaim it.

7 Likes

Belmont’s “we are patient”

Funny enough in The War Within presentation they used that exact same phrase for xal’atath. “She is patient” which a nod back to Varimathras’s Antorus raid dialogue where he taunts The Alliance about the Forsaken’s inevitable victory over Stormwind.

This is why I think the Scarlet Brotherhood is affiliated with Twilight’s Hammer.

Balnazzar wanted the Forsaken. He lead the Scarlet Onslaught for a bit.

1 Like