Really? No Flying in next patch?

They want your wings to be vestigial

1 Like

To the game engine, dragonriding is “swimming in the air.”

That’s how the game engine perceives the acts of both old flight and new flight, which is the original context of the phrase. When your dragon mount glitches, you can find yourself breast-stroking across the skies of the Dragon Isles, as I have found myself a couple of times. It doesn’t pick that animation because it’s amusing, but because that’s what you’re telling it you’re doing.

The game thinks you love swimming in the air, you just like hitting the space bar more often while you do it.

Dude just stop with the white-knighting attempts, it’s ABSOLUTELY timegated and it’s not even up for debate…

• Shadowlands renown system: catch up in a weekend/few days just spamming repeatable content such as Heroic dungeons and M+
  • Dragonflight renown system: each and every single renown level requires a whopping 2500 reputation points… in other words a “Classic style” super-heavy/super-long grind from 0

There’s only so many reputation points you can farm per day. If there are only 5 reputation world quests up, and each WQ only awards 100 rep, that’s a maximum of 500 reputation points obtainable in a day

If a single renown level requires 2500 reputation, then that comes out to around +1 renown per week. If pathfinder requires 15 renown, that’s a little over ~3 months of boring grinding for a new/returning player that is starting from scratch. In other words, it’s timegated

On the other hand, in Shadowlands you could mostly catch up your renown (almost to max) over a weekend with spamming of “repeatable” content such as Heroics and M+, each individual activity gave you +1 renown and was much faster/streamlined for new and returning players

The two systems are apples to oranges, Dragonflight is way more timegated in terms of the renown - it’s not even a close comparison. They “got it right” in Shadowlands when it comes to renown, much much more player-friendly renown system with just how easy/fast it was to get a character caught up

4 Likes

I’m more interested in seeing it the other way around - when will Dragonriding come to the old world properly, and not just in races? Sky swimming is sloooooooow, and if I need to AFK I haven’t had a problem finding a high point or outlying area to zip up to free of mobs.

1 Like

Since when was giving a correct definition of a gaming term “white-knighting” anything? Do you just like pulling out buzzwords because you’re foaming at the mouth over this?

You can continually do the new public event. And the fact that you can get renown every day does not make it a timegate.

If they said “here’s one quest a week and that’s all you can get,” THAT is a timegate.

Learn what a timegate actually is, instead of projecting your outrage onto me, when you can’t even read.

But hey, keep acting hostile and disingenuous. :+1:

1 Like

I don’t have 15 renown with the factions BECAUSE I CAN’T STAND USING DRAGONRIDING TO QUEST and a ground mount doesn’t work in those zones.

Yeah, if this goes live, I think I’m done. I’m not grinding this out with dragonriding.

9 Likes

Yes it does. I spent most of my time on my ground mount while leveling. Ground mounts absolutely work in the zones.

1 Like

Dragon riding is far superior. Sounds like a gathering bot to me.

2 Likes

Nah, I just prefer slow and reliable to fast and unreliable.

8 Likes

dragonriding is plenty reliable if you have a basic grasp of physics.

4 Likes

Actually some pretty keen logic in there. It is an arbitrary gate that can’t be defended by pacing concerns, exactly right. And that’s a good point … to realize the assumption is wrong.

If Blizzard is doing this now, they don’t consider it an arbitrary gate, if they are rational. They consider it to be a necessary gameplay gate. It’s not irrational because Blizzard had complete freedom to NOT have the gate and yet they chose to.

To me, it represents precise content skips and avoiding combat and not overrunning or colliding into mobs when herbing or what not. Do I know this? No, I’m not Ion and I have no direct quote.

But I let it go as the difference between my perspective as a player and my (not) responsibility as a game designer.

But dragonriding has been in the game since the xpac released, so there’s no reason for this gate, right? Sounds pretty irrational to me.

1 Like

They’re gating static dragonriding, no? That’s been gated by pathfinder before. I don’t believe they have had us all return our dragons in 10.2. But that would be a novel concept that may make some people happy.

The funny bit is, I’m pretty sure there’s already bots that dragonride. So now, classic flying only folk are gonna have to compete with players AND bots flying almost 3x as fast to nodes.

This is it in a nutshell. Game director’s still salty about not getting his way eight years ago, and the ham-fisted mini-game of dragonriding is the result of his inability to get over his failure. If players can’t see that, it’s because they don’t want to.

11 Likes

Given what’s happened in the halls of Blizzard over the last couple of years, I would not put money down on there being an overabundance of rational decision-making going on in Irvine.

To me, dragonriding represents all those problems, too.

I can dump combat and aggro much faster with dragonriding. I can gather faster. I can helicopter around to objectives faster - just like I see tons of other players doing out in the game world - and the imprecision of it is more than made up for by the speed, which is far faster than any mob in this game can fly.

They look like developers who have no confidence in the quality, appeal or need for their creation, that most of us won’t use dragonriding unless we’re forced to do so.

8 Likes

Ore and Herb nodes have been personal loot since like… what?.. WOD, I think?

1 Like

Na, not just bots…i can get up for a quick second get a beverage from the fridge and push the numlock key and fly from point A to B and still fly…

With dragon gliding I cant…also if I want to afk and just take my normal mount and fly straight up and not worry about adds and what not to take a healthy (redacted) in the bathroom I can…dragon gliding I cant do that…

771 posts - does anyone know what pathfinding will entail? I havent been working on reps and would like to avoid it if possible.

No one knows, but my guess 15 with all rep see all of the zone…and sacrifice a gnome