Really Blizzard? A suspension right before P2?

So in the ToS it states you can let a minor play your account. I let my 8 year old play my account for maybe 4-5 hours during a 2 day period while he was out of school sick. I log in yesterday and my account is suspended for “PvP Exploitation”. He tells me he ran around Alterac Valley and killed NPCs during games. I am alliance so its insta-ques. He likes it, I get marks and honor. Blizzard has given me the canned responses and won’t do anything so I get to miss SSC/TK.

Is there anything else I can do other than submit ban appeal tickets? Seems like that is only an annoyance for them and I’d rather play TBC than play resubmit the ticket game.

The only way to dispute an account action is via a ticket. It sounds like your son might have been doing things in those BGs that may not have been allowed.

7 Likes

There is a rule about participating in battlegrounds, and non-participation sounds like you are describing. Ultimately you are responsible for anything that happens on the account. However, what you think may have caused the penalty might not have been what actually happened. As fellow players we can not really add more information. The appeals ticket is the only means to contact support, but it appears you have already attempted this.

8 Likes

To add to what the other good folks have said, here is the policy they are talking about.

You may not share your account or password with anyone, except if you are a parent or guardian, in which case you may permit one minor child to use your account. You may not use your account at the same time, and you are liable for activities conducted by the minor child.

5 Likes

While a single minor child may play your account, you are still responsible for what the child does with the account.

The game is rated for children older than eight,

It’s the account holder’s fault if any person. of any age, violates policy with disruptive behavior while using the account.
If blaming the offense on an unsupervised child was allowed, no one would ever be banned.

All that being said, setting up their own starter wow account would minimize any damage that might be done in the future.

9 Likes

Yes, you will. And to your title, yes - a suspension right before P2. Because it doesn’t matter what today or tomorrow brings - your account broke the rules, was reported and was ruled guilty. It doesn’t matter who was playing it, it is your responsibility to ensure the rules you agreed to were being observed and followed. And template responses are not ‘canned’ responses. Appeals are not a place for you to make your case. It’s simply a fresh pair of eyes to overlook all of the data to ensure no mistakes were made.

Does it suck it’s right before new content? Yup. But it’s a hard lesson learned about how to ensure your account is being used in the future. I would definitely take up the advice being offered above, about creating a starter account for your son to tinker with until he’s older and maybe phase into a full paid account.

8 Likes

The only way to have an account action reviewed is via appeal, Dartocke.

And it is very true, while you can allow one minor on your account - you are still responsible for anything that may have occurred.

The recommendations to have a separate account - in your name - for children, is one I heartily agree with. Not only does it make things far easier and cleaner once they are able to take it over themselves, the security is better - and things like this don’t happen.

Playing on characters under 20 is free, which for many smaller children would suffice - let them learn the game, and give you a chance to know if it is something they are truly interested in before any investment is made. It also allows the a convenient use of parental controls and settings that may be more suitable for a younger child.

8 Likes

its still sad, while I can login and see 50 bots in coilfang yet they suspend me for something I’m sure everyone playing alliance during classic has done when your getting hosed in a BG.

I can pull up my transaction records back from 2011 and see that I’ve spent thousands of dollars with blizzard, but get the cold shoulder in the end. Seems like empathy is on its way down the drain for customer care.

1 Like

Your penalty actually should be an indication that blizzard is actively working on monitoring for cheating. Those other violators might be entirely different accounts as the hacks team investigated and suspend them individually. Such investigations do take time.

10 Likes

The method for appealing a suspension has not changed. You can only appeal though tickets. There isn’t another way to do it. There isn’t a faster way to do it.

2 Likes

Please keep in mind that two wrongs don’t make a right. Not everyone gets pulled over for speeding either, but some do.

You can’t “buy” your way around the rules, which I consider a good thing personally.

Everyone is treated the same when it comes to suspensions and appeals.

14 Likes

You can log in and suspect 50 bots. You don’t know they’re bots. Nor does anything anyone else does have any relation to what you do and penalties on your account. Just because someone robs a bank on the other side of town doesn’t mean you can’t get pulled over for speeding.

You don’t get special treatment just because you’ve been a customer for a long period of time. If I ran a business and one guy comes in once a month, but then suddenly shows up naked I’m still kicking that guy out. You get the same treatment as any other customer, many of which have been customers the same amount of time or longer, spending the same amount of money or more. Stop acting entitled to Blizzard bending over backwards for you.

12 Likes

You know they are bots…how?

Actually, don’t even try.

If everyone jumped off a bridge, you would follow? If everyone is speeding on the highway, are you exempt from the law?

You didn’t get any kind of “cold shoulder”. You were treated like everyone else. Your account broke the rules. You have the right to appeal, you did, they looked into again, and arrived at a conclusion. Just because you don’t like the conclusion doesn’t mean anything more than you didn’t like it.

Empathy for what? Your account breaking the rules? You’re right, there’s no empathy for that. If your child is going to play on your account, make sure they know the rules. It’s a great teaching moment. Unfortunately, you’re only teaching them to expect special treatment and whine until they get their way.

9 Likes

I’ve read all the posts here and I’m still unsure the reason for the suspension of the OP. Did the kid do something other than kill a few npcs in AV? That alone is not a suspension.

It’s not worth the conjecture.

Dartocke received his answer and as disappointed as he may be, he is responsible for actions on his account. This is not to say he is at fault for the actions, merely that he is responsible.

3 Likes

PvP Exploitation. From the sound of it the kid was running around killing NPCs. Reaping the benefits of free honor while not participating in the BG properly.

1 Like

But the ultimate goal in AV is to kill npcs. If it’s red, then you can kill it. That in itself does not deserve a suspension imo.

I’m pretty sure some of the players I run with in wsg are about 8 years old because they just run around and avoid objectives.

Seems fishy to me.

Our opinions do not matter. It’s what the players reported and the GMs agreed with. I did not answer your inquiry to debate the issue but to only clarify what you asked. Participating in a BG is a huge part of it, and if you’re running around willy nilly and not helping with the objectives with the bulk of the crowd, it’s going to raise eyebrows. It happened enough that the GMs believed it merited a vacation. It is not up to us to pick apart or debate these things here.

1 Like

Oh I appreciate you clarifying things for me. I just believe there is more to this story than the op is posting. Like I said, if everybody who didnt care about bg objectives got suspended, we wouldn’t have very many players lol.

1 Like

It was back “in the day” when an AV could take days, but with how AV is now there is zero reason to go kill random NPC’s other than those guarding a bunker and a GY.

My guess is that they were way off the normal route that is taken for AV nowadays and people saw it and reported it.

Sucks for the OP but it is what it is. Many here have given the best way to set up a free trial so the child can try the game on their own account. Live and learn.

1 Like