Real Change, When?

I hate to agree, but I do.
The sense of community died when cross realm came into being.

1 Like

How dare you use common sense here…

Actually I think the game’s decline came about when sites like FB and Twitter became popular.

A lot of people would come to WoW not just to play the game but to talk, make friends, etc… so when social media picked up, many migrated over there leaving behind a core pop that loved the game but that game is gone now.

They killed off a lot of the catalysts (story wise) and so now here we are.

Bringing back Metzen won’t fix it, either. May help but not a fix because, as I already said, those who wanted the game to go in this direction are still there, still making the decisions.

It’s also been said that despite the diminishing population that revenues are still high.

How does that work?

5 Likes

OP hasn’t returned to comment on their thread at all?

2 Likes

I havnt done a world quest since week 1 lol

This right here, the mmorpg genre is failing due to new technology not necessarily the games themselves. U can haye on WoW all u want but it is making great choices lately

1 Like

Also true. This was the best form of social media I had growing up.

2 Likes

It’s an old game. Not many computer products first released in 2004 are still dominating the market. There are a few but they are far outnumbered by the 2004 products that are no longer around.

Also, those products from around 2004 that are still around are able to focus on updating their technology. They don’t have to concentrate on “content”.

For example, Microsoft didn’t have to develop all the applications added to Windows since that time, the customers did that. They just upgrade the software. With computer games not only does the company have to upgrade the software but they have to write the application (i.e. the game content) as well.

The fact that WoW is still around and that people are still playing is a credit to the people running the game.

2 Likes

I don’t think DF was disasterous. People just never came back after leaving during SL.

1 Like

Yeah and they no longer play Spacewar on the PDP-1 either.
No doubt that was all the devs fault.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was.

Legion, BFA, SL were the three disastrous expacs in a row. DF broke the cycle by removing external power components. The best expac since MoP.

1 Like

I don’t think this is the case.

Look at FB and now Twitter. Both have been run into the ground. Would that not imply players will return?

The reason why players became asocial is because they had been trained to be like that with the various systems in place.

When the RDF was released, players needed to use it to do the daily Heroic dungeon, and it formed cross-realm groups where no one communicated because the content initially was so easy that there was no point. During Cata, when Heroics became difficult again, you could add poor players to your /ignore list, but if you wanted to friend someone, you had to become ReadID friends with them (BNet friends did not exist at that time). But even if you did become RealID friends, it’s not like you could do anything more than Heroics, since there were no cross-realm guilds or raiding.

Speaking of which, joining a guild wasn’t any better in Cata. Blizzard, in their infinite “wisdom”, gamified guilds by adding guild leveling and perks, so every guild was encouraged to recruit as many players as possible to level up the guild. However, that did not mean that the core guild actually wanted to play with the recruits. Players could easily find themselves in a guild that purported to do dungeons / raids / BGs / areanas but never get invited to such events.

Things are definitely better now, but the anti-social nature of several features towards the end of Wrath and throughout the next few expansions really took a toll on the playerbase.

Right, computer products get old because the technology moves so quickly. The PDP-1 and video games designed for early 2000s technology are no longer what people are expecting.

So is Eve Online and it has retained almost all of its players, still sitting at around 350k 20 years later. FFXIV has grown its population with each expansion. Old school Runescape still has a very large population thats larger than it was before Runescape 3 was released…now I could list out the Korean MMOs that are still as popular as they were 10-25(yeah late 1990s) that are still insanely popular but lets not, thats a long list.

So, to anyone actually paying attention and not looking for excuses. MMOS that do not drop in quality, do not lose a majority of its players. They lose some, and gain some but this game cant even do that because they do not even want people to play the old expansions without jumping through hoops.

This is why your post is an entire fail. Its an empty post at someone grasping for straws. Its actually rare for an MMO to shut down completely and you can still play the vast majority of them, even Meridian 59 and The Realm from 1995, UO from 1997 and EverQuest 1 from 1999.

In fact, of the early MMORPGS released before 2001, only Asherons Call 1 and Phantasy Star Online has shut down. That is 2 out of 17 MMORPGs that are AT LEAST 4 years older than WoW. Still going. Do you WANT me to list 20 MMORPGs released from 2001 to 2004 that are still running?!? I can…there are 36 according to the list of MMORPGs. Vastly more than have shut down. It is NOT something special to keep your game from going under.

That is how far the desperate have fallen to defend the undefendable…to claim keeping a game operating is proof of their doing a good job.

6 Likes

The fact that they lost a lot of players illustrates that they were disastrous for the business. It’s up to Blizzard to figure out why people left in BfA and Shadowlands, and why people didn’t come back to Dragonflight. They’re still confused about these things. I don’t think they are able to examine the basic principles they have been following to see where they went wrong.

Not long ago Josh Strife Hayes played an old MMO called “Animyst”. It apparently was a game that was created as a practice project. There was no one else playing. He played for a week, and after releasing the video, so may people started playing that the developers went back and implemented some of the changes he suggested.

Sure, there are a few and contrary to popular belief, WoW is still around. And people are still calling it one of the most successful video games in history. Of course that goes against the echo chamber’s belief that it’s gone completely and we are paying for a game tha no longer exists.

It is impossible for anything to “be a fail”. “Fail” is a verb. It’s like saying something is an is. Things can be a failure but they can’t be a fail. But like your “vast majority”, Wow is still around and we are still playing it.

Dang, this is a solid post from a person that plays MMOs!!!

I still play Eve, great game!!! Still play Lord of the rings Online, almost as old as WoW, got a huge influx of new players the last few years.

You forgot to mention the private server scene, Warhammer and Star Wars Galaxies, both doing pretty good for dead MMOs. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think people didn’t like the direction the game has taken over the last few years. The current development team view Legion through DF as WoW 3.0. Cata through Wod was WoW 2.0

WoW has gone through several iterations, the latest hasn’t been as well received as past iterations.

2 Likes

Even if you don’t want this to be part of the language, everyone knows what it means. Therefore it is, whether or not you find it in your middle school dictionary.

Wow has been losing market share for years. There are real reasons for this.

3 Likes

lol, nice!

Yeah, old MMOs are shockingly cheap to keep running if the developers are smart enough to lower the amount of servers being used. Its how some games are able to be profitable with only a few thousand players.

You sure do like to make statements just to make statements. Can you point to a SINGLE post made by someone…somewhere that is saying WoW is no longer running…roflmao.

You should have stopped with your first post you are just a… :clown_face: now.

3 Likes