Ready to give up

I like how OP was indirect complaint about time gating ARs and time gating PF, but Bornakk evaded those remarks and steered the conversation toward what was difficult tracking questwise, and the entire thread was derailed from complaints to arguing over in-game direction vs googled direction.

Well played, Blizzard.

14 Likes

There’s a reason they added a journal that shows bosses abilities etc. WoW has always been pretty good in that sense. It’s sorely lacking in other departments however. I couldn’t imagine playing this game without addons for example. Just the pet fights are a perfect example of how AWFUL the default interface is.

You need to learn how to use google dude

agree that far too many things in wow are unnecessarily arcane, unintuitive, and required a 3rd party site for any kind of remotely efficient progress

pathfinder is particularly ridiculous as you may not want to do anything extra beyond pathfinder but nothing guides you as to what you can skip, except addons and guides from 3rd party sites

rep (i.e. emissary) definitely doesn’t ‘resolve most of it’ as I’m 120 and my zones are like step 1-5 at most. The questing is a COLOSSAL time sink, that is rote at best and tedious at the worst.

8 Likes

I disagree with you, but absolutely get your point. Games have evolved, and with ubiquitous access to the Internet and our ability to disseminate knowledge with startling agility, developers have an opportunity to do things that they couldn’t get away with before. They can treat a game like WoW as a living story, knowing that those that came before will leave behind the knowledge they acquired.

I do think WoW devs could do a better job at helping new and returning players to navigate the increasing complexity of the game’s story and progression. Maybe a way to flag certain quests or NPCs as progression initiators, dispatchers, blockers, transitions, etc, so they can go back later and streamline that content for someone who missed it the first time around. I’m just not sure it’s feasible to completely eliminate the need for external sources.

2 Likes

Your blissful unwareness of game development of the last 10 years is staggering.

2 Likes

never understand how some people play a MMORPG or even just an RPG and complain about any type of grind. they are all built on it. WoWs also happens to be some of the easiest and fastest.

I rarely even feel like its a grind. knowing every game aspect is indeed one.

3 Likes

Absolutely.

I do check Wowhead for stuff and even I don’t know a lot of the stuff I apparently should know about the game. I can’t even imagine how annoying the convoluted and unfun mechanics of this game must be for even more casual players. But yeah, if we have to go to third party sites to figure out how to do stuff in the game you’re doing it wrong.

7 Likes

Honestly, I think that allied races should be playable once they’re put into the game. I myself have grinded out all the necessary reps to get all the allied races I want but I do not look forward to grinding anymore rep just for the sake of having an allied race. It’s extremely tedious.

17 Likes

I was ready to agree with you but you lost me at this part. It is entirely possible to achieve pathfinder part 1 on accident. By the time I looked up the requirements, I had to explore one corner of Drustvar and I had it unlocked.

1 Like

My problem isn’t with the amount of work needed. It’s the time gating.

The Zandalari and Kul Tirans as playable races were announced as features of the expansion, yet withheld until (at this rate) almost a year-and-a-half after the expansion’s announcement, and seven to eight months after the expansion’s launch. And there was nothing we could do as players to shorten the time needed to unlock them - large sections of content required to unlock them have remained inaccessible until very recently, and there is further required content that is still inaccessible.

It was, and remains, entirely at Blizzard’s whim as to when we get something we were promised in November, 2017.

That is what I take issue with - delays or schedules that were not communicated, made clear or given any player agency to reduce in any way.

22 Likes

While I personally have no problem with having to unlock the races (or Pathfinder), I totally agree with the above. Not telling us when something will be available is pretty low. Everything–the allied races and Pathfinder–should be available to be worked on from launch. The only things that should be withheld are things that haven’t been announced at all, and then they should be implemented so they can be earned in one go–not after some ill-defined future patch.

7 Likes

Flying is 1 achievement, pathfinder.

Flying is 2 achievements, pathfinder 1 , 2 and a timegate. I have pathfinder 1. Cant fly yet.

8 Likes

Did you watch the recent Q&A that talked about the timing of the Kul Tiran and how it relates to things? We understand that nobody wants to wait but we still aim to deliver the best experience possible and sometimes that leads to delays on things.

One thing to note from your post, what further required content is still inaccessible?

5 Likes

Flying was never an issue until Blizzard made it an issue.

36 Likes

Seems like time-gating has become par for the course in WoW. Too many carrots dangling from the end of overly long sticks. Likely a good part of the reason subs are so low. Flight is a great example. How many times is it necessary to ride down the same path before you’ve “experienced” it?

Seems far more likely the time-gating is designed more for a way to drag out play time and less for actual experiencing the game the way the devs want. I’m not fooled at all.

38 Likes

This I am in complete agreement with. While some QOL additions have been fantastic, others have dumbed the game a bit too much. It doesn’t need to be so simple it could be played on a play station.

I disagree with the need for a returning player to “grind” through the pathfinder ordeal in past expansions. Yes, I did all of them when current and I would have zero problems if outdated pathfinder achievements could be purchased with gold now. If it served to keep returning players active, that’s more people I would have to run content with. Is so simple it’s silly.

6 Likes

It’s really not the wait for it per se. It’s the out of touch requirements for that wait that really annoying. The game wants us to wait for races. then the game wants us to wait to complete requirements. Its this oh well just wait for it. is what wrong with wow itself? No one wants to be on an endless road. What we want is to get to point a from b with less amount of tourist aspects to see the world requirements. Wow on other hand wants us to take the road down a path takes so long we just stop and turn around and head home.

I get people to say this is a new world. Guess what it got a whole lot wrong with it. When you make your customer spend more time out of the game looking up stuff to play the game. You basically just lost. Because back in the day, you talk to people about the game. other people overheard it and wanted to see what fun is. Now you want them to stay home, look up and play the game. You took away the one thing about the game. I am not telling anyone if they can not see it. That what the whole disconnect is happening.

7 Likes

I read Wowhead’s blog of it - bit hard to watch it live with the timezone difference, and I can’t bear to watch them after the fact on YouTube after the second or third time Ion brushed off the Worgen model update delays :sweat_smile: :sweat:

The reasons to keep us waiting this long for the Kul Tirans (in particular) are shaky at best. We’ve already rallied the major Houses of Kul Tiras back to the Admiralty, saved the ruling house from an attempted coup, reunited the (now-former) Lord Admiral with her daughter, saved Boralus from a siege and returned their long-lost fleet (among them the last of Katherine’s wayward, still-breathing offspring).

By contrast the Zandalari haven’t quite reached the level of closeness to the Horde that they have now that they’ve had their King and navy turned into mulch. I mean, all we’ve done for them is defeated an attempted coup and stopped their race’s utter genocide via Blood God - definitely also not enough for them to formally ally with the Horde. But disregarding that little jab of mine, why aren’t they even unlockable now with the release of the event that most actively spurs them into joining the Horde?

All of these narrative threads come together in a way that’d make it very believable that these factions would consider joining the Alliance. Heck, all it took for the Tauren to join the Horde was a simple jaunt across the Barrens.

The scenario(s) & quest(s) directly undertaken to unlock the Zandalari and Kul Tirans.

10 Likes

The fact that you can say “it’ll only take 3 weeks” is impressive.

Your character is literally the first thing you do, it’s the proverbial bedrock of your experience. You’re telling new players to throw away 3 weeks of their life just to actually START the game.

That’s just bad design, the very first thing you ask a new player to do when they start up your game shouldn’t be a 3 week grind so they can immediately restart ‘but for real this time’.

28 Likes