Ready to give up

Well, then you’re playing the wrong game.
Try Overwatch. There’s no character power ups or upgrades.

While I agree it does sound like an easy excuse, it can be true. This is a second account for me. And I deliberately set it up independently from my original account because I was playing Diablo 3 on it and wanted to not be seen by my Bnet friends so as not to be dragged back into WoW when I was trying to play Diablo. Then after I quit WoW at the end of Cata but decided to come back during WoD, I thought it would be an interesting challenge to start from scratch, which is why none of my achieves are from earlier than that, even though I played seriously all through Vanilla->early Cata.

Boring, who cares story for sure, but just to observe that not everything can be exposed by Armory snooping.

3 Likes

Personally, I’d rather have the 2 races if they can be played right away simply because I’m not someone who is in a rush to create and level yet another character to do the same thing I’ve already done. And this is really only a problem because the character is tied to the class which is limited by how many race can play that class as there seems to be no option to change class in WoW.

In my case, the only other race that can play as a demon hunter is a night elf, which is on the other faction. Which means, even if I don’t care for the heritage armor for the nightborne, I would still have to create a new character for it rather than changing my current character to it.

At the very least, if WoW allows the character to switch class or, better yet, to be able to learn all the classes, having a race be unlocked by playing the game with another race first wouldn’t be so bad because at least then I get to keep my character’s progress and can then switch to the new race I’ve just unlocked with the work I’ve done.

As it is, having more race options isn’t as appealing when there is less motivation to redo all the work I’ve done on another character, not to mention that I may not be interested in the majority of the races anyway. TBC introduced two races I am interested in currently, Legion gave 3, BfA hasn’t given me any yet since kul tiran isn’t here yet.

3 Likes

Wait what?

Doing the same thing repeatedly is not the same as being overwhelmed with “content”.

Reading a 1000 page book can be fun and engaging “content”.

Reading the same page 1000 times, is neither fun nor engaging, and it was only truly “content” that first time.

15 Likes

Those were the old good days .forever lost .

lol…talking trash with only “Step into Arena” and World Wide Winner." Man what is that life like?

He’s done more than you from the looks of it.

I’m sure they removed it cause I called them out for their BS.

1 Like

Yep. It’d be one thing to say we need to finish the relevant story bit, with the boost they give you that could be done in a single day.

The grind is obviously just to pad out the process and keep you subscribed, which is ironic becauae I imagine a not insignificant number of people have gotten burned out and quit specifically because of it. Like these are people who aren’t even invested in the game yet and you expect them to dedicate at least a month to grinding just so they can play a race they like?

10 Likes

My main problem is the only reason to add reps is to gate the new races. The actual rep rewards are a joke really, exalted gear is so utterly useless by the time you unlock it. I guess they have a tabard and some pets, but is that really worth putting in a rep to grind to begin with?

A lot of people, my self included, end up spending what little time we get to play the game doing dailies and what have you, just to be able to unlock a race to play the game with! By the time you actually unlock it you are burned out.

8 Likes

Ok, straight up, quite a bit wrong there.

The Entrance to Neltharion’s Lair is South-East of Thunder Totem. Take the path out, and turn right up the hill. Across the River is the Summoning Stone and entrance. No need to do the full zone.

Reviving Illidan isn’t a part of the requirements. On a fresh toon, you should be able to head right to Argus (I think you need to talk to someone on the Broken Shore first, which just requires talking to Khadgar to unlock). Then you do the Argus questchain (Might take an hour or two) and grind to exalted with the Army of the Light. Then you head to the Alliance Embassy and do a short quest chain.

I have Class mounts with barely touching any of the story zones. You just need to do your class campaign, then do the Broken Shore campaign. You’ll get your mount at the end after another short questline.

2 Likes

It is very confusing for many players especially if they have been gone for 2-3 expansions.

I do not think it is done on purpose or by design. But it does reveal a big flaw in the short term design of gating flight and allied races. It is not sustainable over a long period of time.

Patchfinder and gating allied races is unequivocally a failure. It will be interesting to see if Blizzard has learned anything from this.

1 Like

Unlocking flying and allied races isn’t hard. It just takes a few weeks. After you’ve done so you’ll be complaining that there’s nothing to do.

1 Like

If a player missed WoD, Legion and start of BFA unlocking flight for all three expansions is difficult to figure out.

Allied races are gated behind a huge rep grind from a previous expansion which makes it counter intuitive.

7 Likes

I was gone for about a year, missing the latter half of Legion or so. Otherwise I hadn’t taken any significant breaks since I started in Wrath. Figuring out how to unlock the Allied races has been a nightmare—just figuring out how to GET to Argus, even after I rooted around in the achievements to figure out that I apparently had to go there.

It is much more confusing than before, because we’re trying to pile a bunch on rather than just making things intuitive and available.

Someday I’ll unlock the Orcs too—It bugged out and now I can’t get the long RP session in Draenor to work to trigger the next quest. I could put in a ticket, but at this point I guess I don’t even care.

5 Likes

If you have to go to an external site to figure out patchfinder then maybe it is time to prune patchfinder and allied races requirements a bit.

Just my two cents.

Punishing returning players is the worst thing you can do to a game that needs player retention now more than ever.

8 Likes

On a plus side I only need 5000 more rep to unlock void elves, not that I’ve been able to make any connection between Argussian Reach and void elves yet. Haven’t really got any interesting story and even less compelling gameplay at 120. True definition of a chore.

1 Like

The world would be more fun with zones designed for flight. Back to square one!

4 Likes

If you give up, in FFXIV when you get flying you have it forever and when they add new races as long as you buy the expac they’re from you can play them. You can also play all classes on one character. Oh and if you have twitch prime the base game is free right now. New expac dropping soon with a new race.

Food for thought!

8 Likes

Dude just link your two accounts and you won’t need to grind Highmountain tauren rep again.

And a whole lot of time sink into old dated meaningless content to unlock a bogus feature …by yourself in an MMO

2 Likes