RDF a fair compromise

As fellow forum lurkers may already be aware, I’m firmly of the no RDF persuasion.

My main gripe with RDF is how it impacts server identity, accountability and interaction with other players that exist in your game world (Realm).

To a lesser extent how it impacts interaction with the world with the teleport feature, but it’s not the hill I’d die on as flying mounts at 80 largely kill the whole travelling to a dungeon vibe and also levelling in vanilla for example is such a huge environment without a mount or with a 60% mount or even with a 100% mount it can take ages to traverse the continents to get to the dungeon.

On the for RDF argument. I can understand peoples issue with the aforementioned somewhat pointless travel to the instances.

The issues with smaller servers having trouble forming groups or forming groups for obscure levelling instances (for the currently proposed LFG system and realm locked RDF systems).

The concerns about gate keeping and elitism around metas and gear levels etc.

My proposed fair compromise.

RDF that’s realm-locked for say 10-15mins before opening to cross server, if players are unable to be found.

I feel that this would be a fair compromise in my opinion. The for RDF camp get most of what they want, a simple click and forget system, access to dungeons more readily, the bonus xp / loot etc, teleportation to the instance.

The against RDF camp still get server identity preserved as much as reasonably possible while still ensuring that obscure dungeons and lower pop realms can form groups.

I’d like to know what advocates for each side think of this option? Hopefully if Blizzard is listening, if we can find a compromise that most of us can get behind they may act on it, instead of just having echo chambers of people arguing without constructive progress.

It’s clear in it’s current form or in the traditional RDF form that there is going to be a large proportion of the player base disgruntled with either of these 2 options. If we can find a middle ground then maybe we can make a large majority of both sides somewhat happy.

72 Likes

Yes, this is totally acceptable to me

7 Likes

I completely agree with the realm locked aspect. If there’s a time limit before opening up however, I’d prefer it to be more like 30 minutes. 10 minutes will work for the mega servers, because they’ll always find people, but I’d prefer to wait longer for people on my own server, than be exposed to the toxicity of those megaservers.

Either that or a toggle to say “never go to a cross-realm pool”, so I can use cross-realm while levelling (if necessary) and then turn it off for high level content and just wait longer.

13 Likes

That would also be a nice feature to have.

12 Likes

Either that or after 15-30 min the game asks you if you want to switch to cross realm grouping.

8 Likes

I’d be happy with that too.

3 Likes

I’d fully support RDF with those two changes in play.

7 Likes

This is literally the BEST compromise we could have. It allows for those that don’t want to use LFD to continue on their merry way, while allowing players that DO want LFD, to use it.

5 Likes

I’m hoping to get exposure to this idea and hopefully if enough people agree blizzard might take notice. I’m in the no RDF camp but I also want a healthy game and understand the concerns of the for RDF camp.

It would be good if both sides can be reasonably happy with such a crucial system.

8 Likes

Here’s hoping. I believe that if people on either side argue against the compromise, it’ll prove they’re just arguing to argue.

1 Like

This sounds perfect. I think you are on to something.

4 Likes

This thread seems like a sock puppet. Look at the first six responses.

2 Likes

All of us have been all over the forums arguing for and against RDF. It just so happens we have finally all agreed on something. I know its weird when forum accounts agree on something.

Great ideas!! Good compromise! Totally agree

1 Like

Nah, we’ve been the ones arguing at each other on the forums. Feel free to check our activity and you can clearly see us on either side of the RDF argument. This is the compromise, because we’ve been bouncing back and forth for so long and sort of settled to this mid-point.

2 Likes

They do something similar for chromie time and it is awful.

I’m not familiar with this feature. In what way is it similar and in what way is it awful?

I can tell you now that most of those first 6 replies have been in heated debate with myself on multiple threads. It’s just that we all agree that something like this would be a better option.

2 Likes

My main gripe with PvP is how it impacts server identity, accountability and interaction with other players that exist in your game world (Realm).

Ironic, isn’t it?
What is up with this double standard?
PvP Mercenary Mode, feature that was introduced in MoP, is totally fine.
PvP remote queue & mathmaking is totally fine.
PvP being cross realm is totally fine.
RDF for silly dungeons is not.

And this is why leveling is the least social experience one can have in an MMO.

Because it is pointless. If I’m leveling in Borean Tundra, flying over to UK is a good 12-15 minute flight, implying you even have the FPs unlocked.

Then you have to fly back.
So, we are all basically forced to go to Howling Fjord if we want to do Wrath intro dungeon to escape insane lag for the first 2 weeks. Cool. Bottleneck 10k people into 1 zone.

I could stand behind this.
It’s similar to retail Chromie time. You are first locked into RDF for that timewalking era you picked, but if nada, you it expands the search.

But then, as a result, you are creating artificial queue wasted time, which is fine because at least you can keep on leveling and do other activities without downtme.

11 Likes

I was against all of those things.

I think its a fair compromise, 10-15 mins isn’t all that much when looking for a group and generally if you’re a tank or healer you’ll likely find a group instantly still, dps need to wait anyway and obscure dungeons may have to wait out the 10-15 mins.

2 Likes

In retail right now you ‘pick an expandsion’ to level in. So if you picked TBC you can use RDF to queue up for TBC dungeons only and do quests in TBC. Once you’re in the queue the game asks you if you want to expand your search to all expansion dungeons.

Players have complained about this a lot and do not like how you can’t not just queue all dungeons from the start.

1 Like