Ranger General Sylvanas pt2

Ah, I see the confusion. Ranger General Sylvanas is not likely the twisted soul that got taken to the Maw after jumping off of Icecrown. That was still Banshee Queen Sylvanas. Ranger General Sylvanas is more likely one of the soul shards taken by Frostmourne at the time of her first death and locked up in the Jailer’s vault that we find in 9.1.

I doubt it, not to toot my own horn BUT anybody that has known me for more than a day know that I’m like the poster child for making those distinctions. Like have you seen anything I’ve ever posted lol.

Edit:

I’m sure google don’t have the achieves for the old website, but this conversation discussion started wayyyyyy back when we the crazed Lordaeron fans were trending.

I suppose I’m confused by your point then. I want a Sylvanas that combines both natures of the character and provides closure for what Arthas did to her, and allows the character to remain in the story going forward (frankly this is all just to appease her haters, I’d be fine with the character as is, maybe a third-faction?), not a deux-ex-machina Goody Two Shoes “Sylvanas” that undermines the entire character for the last 15 years.

5 Likes

Its simple, trust me.

I can take another 15 years of the Banshee Queen, but if it wasn’t for the tragedy that created her. Quite frankly I wouldn’t be a big fan.

The Ranger General and the Banshee Queen are not the same person. I’ve literally had this discussion more times than I can remember. Ranger General Sylvanas deserves a happy ending(I’ve said this more times than I can remember) if that means purging the evil from her soul then let so be it.

Honestly, I don’t know how this will play out, but I’ve always viewed the twisted/partially attached/altered souls as a tug a war were the “darkness” is winning.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Edit:
I’ve talked about the end of the road for Sylvanas. It’s always a happy ending for the Ranger General.

1 Like

I think I understand what you are saying on a philosophical level. And I probably agree with what your saying to that degree.

But I want Sylvanas, the real Sylvanas (or as close to the real Sylvanas as we can get) to remain in the story for years to come. I want the Forsaken “Dark Lady Watch Over You” to mean something. I don’t know if that means Sylvanas returning to the Horde or the Forsaken.

Frankly to me how Blizzard gets it done is less important than that they get it done. And I do believe we are headed in that direction.

If all you care about is having Sylvanas have a sappy, happy ending…well no thank you. I would sooner see her go down fighting with her back against the wall because that is who that character is. The version of Sylvanas we have known and fought with for 15+ years. The version that can be improved and have her arc continued by merging with her “better” half, not simply being written off while her “better” half has its sad, pathetic ending.

5 Likes

Bruuuhhh the Banshee Queen is a God Among Insects! But, if its her time to evolve/revolve or quite frankly go, its just her time /pat

As I said the worst possible outcome is the Banshee Queen goes screeching into the depths of the Maw and take the Ranger General with her.

1 Like

Sure I agree that is a bad outcome. But I do not believe that outcome is likely.

And I believe resolving the story in the way you suggest is while maybe an okay meta-narrative of Sylvanas as a whole, it is a bad outcome for the overall story of Warcraft, for player engagement, for player investment in the Forsaken and Banshee Queen narratives.

Having Sylvanas turn into Dorothy “click your heals together, No Place Like Home!” wake up from a bad dream and she’s back to being the Ranger General no harm, no foul is equally unsatisfying.

Better to merge the souls, create a new whole Sylvanas, return her to the Horde, and let’s be about the business of continuing Warcraft’s story, with Patty Matson in tow.

No more talk of removing important characters because it’s “their time.” This is not a novel, this is a comic book.

8 Likes

Even if they merged Ranger General Sylvanas and Banshee Queen Sylvanas, do you really expect there would actually be anything of Banshee Queen Sylvanas left?

You know the last character that got split in two and fused back together and got influenced by Anduin? Varian. And they took Varian from Blue Garrosh to the goodiest goodie to ever wear two shoes.

I can respect that. Honestly having the better half of Sylvanas rule supreme as the “darkness” has thus far would be awesome, but I can’t fathom how they would pull that off. Just look at the Worgen.

I can’t fathom them turning Sylvanas into Dorothy either lol. I would figure she would kick up as much dust she did in life and unlife without the eating babies, and innocent people part. But, then again I would expect her to be placed on the back burner and placed on simmer for a while.

Patty Mattson would still be voicing in WoW even if it was Ranger General Sylvanas and not Banshee Queen Sylvanas. Or even Blue Kyrian Sylvanas for that matter. It would still be Patty Mattson.

1 Like

Do it because it would be hilarious.

1 Like

Ultimately if that is what we are left with than so be it. I would begrudgingly accept it.

But no Calia! That’s my line in the sand.

Do what? The thing that is obviously already happening?

Bring her back to life and excuse all her bad stuff as just being her evil half.

The chaos that would ensue…

Mmmm.

Delicious.

3 Likes

I am very much preparing myself for that sort of whiplash lol!

When discussing this particular topic who to blame often times comes up. I think the last time it came up during my campaign to kill the Arbiter. Anyway, I’m of the mind that the necromancer that twisted the soul in the first place should be blamed. It usually dissolves into blaming some cosmic force.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about salty Sylvanas-haters, I’m sorry but virtually any outcome that doesn’t see Tyrande cut off Sylvanas’s head while she’s halfway through apologizing for all of her terrible actions and then Genn and Jaina stringing her entrails across Oribos will leave those types whining like little babies here and on Reddit.

That outcome is unavoidable. I’m sure I’ll enjoy your reaction.

4 Likes

There’s also quite a lot of Sylvanas fans I’ve seen hating this idea that her “cool” self was just an evil split that goes away and the ‘good’ one comes back.

But you are right, anything they do will cause a backlash. And it will be funny.

I never thought they’d kill her off or even sequester her away. Her fans are too loud and, more importantly, the marketability of the character ensures she’s never going away. Acti-Blizz will always make that coin off of Sylvanas so there’s no way she’s going anywhere.

Just embrace Warcraft for the Resident Evil-movie level of quality it’s become, and its much more enjoyable.

Erasing Banshee Queen Sylvanas and leaving only Ranger General Sylvanas is functionally no different from just killing Banshee Queen Sylvanas. It’s a suitable enough ending where Banshee Queen Sylvanas answers for what she’s done, but people who still find connection with the victim that was Ranger General Sylvanas get an almost new character back that hasn’t been seen since Warcraft III.

Taking the idea seriously for a moment:

I donno if that’s even necessarily true. Undead Sylvanas’ personality is not THAT different from the Alive one. Her agenda is, sure, obviously, but she doesn’t exactly act that differently. It’s not like Alive Sylvanas was some humble person. She was a headstrong renegade who did what she wanted and said damn the consequences, like picking Nathanos as her second.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’ll be as dramatic as its being made out to be.

I believe both version of her:

• don’t get along well with others
  • excel at leadership
  • excel at military strategy
  • has a smart mouth
  • over confident/cocky(with good reason)
  • does questionable things
  • do what they want
3 Likes