Ranged Survival talent in Dragonflight

Is there a way you could exchange phone numbers and talk to each other without hijacking most hunter threads @Covlol and @Bepples?

I bet you two are awful in group texts…

1 Like

That’s how your favourite spec is seen by the broader community.

7 Likes

sv was almost relevant again rip

10 Likes

This please. Bepples made a valid thread discussing a just announced new talent (albeit as a reason to advocate for RSV but besides the point) and it does not take many minutes for it to turn into a juvenile, name-calling argument back and forth. That completely leaves the topic of the thread.

7 Likes

Well blizz are never active on EU forum so gotta post somewhere

4 Likes

I agree here! I do not like the whole zoo-keeper theme they are pushing for BM (hard)… we already have that but demons for demonology… please let BM be all about the One (or two) strong pets and their bond.

And for the love of god. Take all this BM crap away from Survival and also remove the damn grenades as well. They look cool but have nothing with a hunter to do! Figure out ONE theme for SV and stick with it.

I laughed so loud when Nimox said that SV will stay melee and that it’s fine that they “used ranged attacks some times, since it’s a hunter”… I felt like “a little ranged attacks? Everything but carve and raptor strike is ranged attacks…”?!?

Very nice to see Nimox be so active and they are at least working on the specs (some actual work on SV finally, even tho I am dubious to how it will work out) but I would wish for some better quality. Can’t be picky I guess

11 Likes

Looking at the EU alpha forums…

No class thread has more than 5 replies. The topic on the new class, Evoker, has a total of 1 reply in it from 7 days ago.

The hunter topic. They haven’t even posted these announcements for changes to the hunter class in the alpha.

And people wonder why we come over to the NA forums…

8 Likes

Yeah. I don’t usually report people but I might if this continues.

1 Like

Yeah report people for spamming the forums with larp posts about a nonexistant spec for the past 5 years. I agree

1 Like

At this point it’s following the same trend that the broader class did before MoP: the melee is becoming more and more sidelined. I doubt they meticulously planned every step of that trajectory back then, either, but the design pressure of the class is evidently in favour of the ranged combat and it makes sense why that would be the case.

The spec remains melee purely out of pride. Blizzard and the diehard melee SV fans like Covlol and Darthstinky desperately want to avoid confronting the fact that it was a mistake that harmed the spec. Look at how SV has fared since coming melee and here you have devoted SV fans celebrating that the directionless floundering will continue. It goes to show that the health and status of the spec isn’t their concern; the melee pride is.

As I said in the first post: it’s evident that this “ranger” talent is insufficient. It’s yet another concession towards ranged combat but not the ripping off the bandaid that needs to happen. This whole “we want to keep Survival as a melee spec doing melee things” is, as you said, a laugh since the spec is not doing many melee things any more and the few melee things it does to are about as generic and uninteresting as possible. So this talent doesn’t really change anything, but I’m glad that Blizzard has once again unwittingly flared up the ranged v.s. melee debate. It goes to show that there is still a deep-seated disappointment of melee SV in the WoW playerbase and that will continue as long as SV remains melee. If that’s until the servers shut down, so be it.

17 Likes

I am fully confident that melee players will not be happy or viable with the survival spec in DF. I am just as confident ranged survival will not come back.

Hunter survival is the epitome of nobody wins.

On the plus side of things:

• Every other melee spec in the game is going to be amazing.
  • Red speccing an Evoker is reminiscent of Ranged survival, in an OP super sayan one punch man had a baby sort of way.
3 Likes

It really does feel like they have no clue how to fix SV so instead of letting things settle and we being able to critique the poor job they are doing they are more inclined to stir up this age old argument around RSV/MSV that always get so inflamed.

Why else would they ever have implemented the “Ranger” spec. Nimox very first thing to do after it was posted was to reply that it is Not there to make the class ranged, going exactly against the talent itself. It’s like we are in limbo - spec hell where they refuse to go actual melee and they refuse to go back to ranged, but this class revamp with talent trees just make it so abundantly clear that the class has not been made or adapted to incorporate both ranged and melee specs. So they are stuck in this position where they can’t make a choice. And what better to keeping us stuck in arguments with each other than with them?

12 Likes

This is my problem though. If they just picked One of either side they could make a good job of it and eventually people would have to accept it. But they are constantly proclaiming how SV is a Melee spec but at the same time they are Clearly designing a spec that feels Nothing like a melee spec… If I showed gameplay of the current or alpha SV hunter to someone not familiar with WoW not a single person would say “hey, that is a melee class” when asked what they think it is. They would legit say it’s a ranged explosives expert/tinker with some melee utility.

They wont revert it back to ranged purely out of ego. Even though a huge majority of the hunter players would love it. pure stubbornness.

19 Likes

I will say this, considering what they said in the gameaxis interview: https://www.gameaxis.com/interviews/interview-wow-legions-lead-class-designer-senior-producer/

And then Survival Hunter…

Travis: It was another one that was missing its niche. It’s kind of like Marksman except more traps? Or different arrows? So it was kind of missing that “what is the core fantasy?”

Having it move into the melee space and actually return to its roots that was the vanilla Survival experience. You got your Raptor Strike and all that and having those come back and play a role, moving into melee, giving mobility like the Harpoon to draw you in – it’s like it finally gave them a unique identity. If this is the beast companion guy that you’ve always wanted to play then you’re going to have that role.

Generally those are the ones that probably got the most drastic changes but every single class – I think one of the things that’s fun to see is when you go into a five-man dungeon now and you can actually pretty readily, visually go: “Oh look the Rogue is doing his roll of the dice right now” or “Oh look the Paladin just threw his hammer.”

You get more flavor both visually and also as a player. That feeling of “What is that experience that I wanted?” and it delivers a little bit more for every class now.

…then you look at current Survival, how it will be based on these changes they’ve done or announced so far for Dragonflight. Where SV will have nothing in the class tree to further its apparently-intended melee fighting style. But will want to go for the same ranged abilities as the rest of the class. In addition to everything it has borrowed/taken from Beast Mastery.

Again, it’s especially ironic, and hypocritical, considering how they said this when they compared MM and RSV(even though the two specs didn’t share any signature abilities nor the same mechanical structure/gameplay):

It was another one that was missing its niche. It’s kind of like Marksman except more traps? Or different arrows? So it was kind of missing that “what is the core fantasy?”

7 Likes

Yup, they sure went out there and did Something. Not good though. And they are seriously paying for it now with these Class trees. If the hunter class tree does anything well it’s pointing out how bad the class has adapted to having a melee spec, and how bad that melee spec is. It’s for the last 4 or so years progressively become more and more ranged.

Retail, it’s All ranged besides carve and raptor strike…
Alpha, Class tree is exclusively ranged abilities/talents. The SV tree is the same minus Raptor strike and Mongoose bite. Oh and spearhead, kinda.

If I would be a betting mad I’d bet that Blizzard would drop the whole class/SV spec if they could and never look back.

6 Likes

Just relentlessly giving him the business lolol carry on king

1 Like

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Sharing a range and a meele version in the same tree would most likley be a disaster. Making a 4th specc would lead to more work forever in terms of balancing and other classes asking for a 4th specc like galdiator warriors, some hunters would complain about wanting a tank specc instead of a 4th dps specc. If they change the specc to range melee lovers will be angry. And by keeping the specc the way it is range lovers will be angry.

Their best soluyion would be to try and bring old survival into MM but they would most liklet also be a disaster.

Another person with a bizarre amount of pride in a decision that’s led to such routine disappointment and failure for SV.

4 Likes

Yeah. If I got my way I’d just say:

Let’s accept that old RSV is gone. We can discuss if it was the right choice or not but it’s gone! and yes implementing it willy-nilly in MM/SV or a 4th spec just wont work, well at least.
Let’s go back to the basics of the Legion rework and make SV actually Melee. This would probably be hard / not work either because our Hunter class tree is literally 100% ranged… As is majority of the class’ history.
And let’s focus on getting those trees up to the same level of design/development as for example Shaman, Priest and Rogue…

Whatever they do, they gonna make some people real mad. And that’s what they will have to accept, because this whole catastrophe of “middle ground” just doesn’t work.

4 Likes