Random game freezes after patch

I’m curious about this as well. No Blue Post and not listed in known issues. This happening to me as well. My game freezes every 20 secs for 5-10 seconds. I keep logging in to see if it’s fixed yet and it’s not. I’d just like to know if they are aware and working on it?

1 Like

I have an AMD R9 390 and the game causes a complete black screen and freezes computer, need to hard reboot to use comp again. Everything was perfectly fine prior to patch 8.3.7. Been happening ever since. Blizz please look into this, we would like to play the game we are paying for.

PS I have tried using DirectX 12, 11 and 11 Legacy and tried complete clean uninstall of AMD software and driver and this is still happening.

1 Like

EDIT: Not fixed completely but still 90% better at least.
EDIT 2: A couple hours later this is having little to no effect for me. Still getting mass freezes.

Might have just found a workaround. Try exiting the Blizz app after you are logged in.

I noticed earlier after the game caused both monitors to go black and stay black for several seconds that the Blizz app stayed dead despite everything else went back to normal. I had a hair-brained idea that the app might be causing issues and it seems to be the case for me. I have absolutely zero lag when the boxes popup now.

Even after patch still crashing. Closing BNet App did nothing either.

Closing the app definitely didn’t fix it either, but it seemed to make it a lot better for the first hour. Since then it is pretty much back to garbage mode. I just flew through the Legion isles which wiped away any thoughts of it being fixed.

Same type of issue for me…

Win10 with HDR enabled
GTX 1080 with driver v432.00
Samsung C32HG70QQ…

Before 8.3.7, I was using DX11 on Win10 with latest updates. This last WoW client then started crashing my whole computer. Had to power off and back on again multiple times/crashes. I suspected out of date addons at first, but no luck. Changing to DX12 fixed the crashes, but the game still slightly hangs after zone/BG/instance loading.

To explain my situation further in case it helps anyone else running a GTX 1080(or Ti), Win10, and an HDR monitor…I chose DX11 originally because Win10 did not handle the HDR properly with WoW running DX12 and fullscreen. It made the game look bland and hazy(windows basically disable HDR when the game was running as a whole). Only DX11 would work properly. HDR even with a game that does not support it still looks much better.

My issue now using DX12 with WoW is that I have to run in windowed mode and deal with a title bar across the top. Maybe there is a workaround for that.

I just noticed another client update today. Nothing listed in patch notes but its v8.3.7.35284. Here’s hoping!

Current driver version is 451.

Same here, just started last night. I am already using directx 11. Mostly happens after logging in, within 10-15 seconds.

Again this evening, after a 10sec freeze, the game resumed with the textures freaking out. ttps://imgur.com/a/KDaEO7B . Never happened to me before patch.
Please can we have an hotfix @Blizzard? Im using DX11, i swapped to DX11 Legacy but its making the game drop 30frames, and you know how much 30 frames is important in Boralus LUL

1 Like

Im having a similar issue since patch day as well, every hour or so my game freezes and i have to force restart it, mostly during an instance so it can be during a dungeon, raid, bg, you name it.

I have a GeForce GTX 1070 and drivers updated to the latest version

Everything moves but my character, similar to when you dc but without the dc part, i have never tried to stay for some time to see if it recovers, i always force restarted the game.

I was using DirectX12 with Windows 10 before the patch and i switched to DirectX11 yesterday to see if anything changes, i dont really wanna use DirectX11 Legacy bc of performance loss. Ill update when i can

I’m having the exact same issue. It started with Tuesday’s patch.

I’m having the exact same issue, since the last weekly reset (July 21st).
For me it always happen when I open my char interface panel…ALWAYS.

Tried with other games, but this only occurs with WoW :frowning:
Sadly, swapping to Legacy DX11 drops like 20 or 30 fps so don’t think is a good idea.

Back in 8.2 or so, the same problem was reported by players, and Blizz solved it in the next reset…Hope this is the case too.

Same issue here, happens to me everytime I open the map too and randomly it happens often too, I’m having these 5 to 10 seconds freeze. DX11 Legacy seems to fix it but from 60fps on boralus it drops me to 28fps, can’t play on Legacy, hoping they fix this tomorrow.

Anyone still facing this issue after reset? Cause the problems persists here…

Thank you for your reports! We’re gathering information for the recent freezing issues. We’ve seen the same behavior in the past, where several TDR or Live Kernel Event errors occurred. After the latest 8.3.7 patch, we’re seeing a good amount of report of this happening again.

So far, we’re seeing this again with specific DirectX APIs. It looks like for the most part this is with DirectX11 specifically, but we’re still gathering information on this. As some of you mentioned, switching the DirectX may be a workaround in the mean time.

For those experiencing this issue, could you provide system files over to techinfo@blizzard.com under the subject, ATTN: Caterpepi - Freezing after Patch 8.3.7?

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Technical Support to assist in troubleshooting.

3 Likes

Done! I’ve just sent it.

Anyone still encountering the issue ?
I already sent the mail to techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject as Caterpepi mentioned
But don’t see any hot fix & still have to play with directx 11 legacy .

We still have a known bug in on this one, no updates to share yet but they’ve been doing some looking into it somewhat recently. We appreciate all the reports on this.

Yes I believe the problems I have been encountering are the same ones people have been mentioning here. For me the game just simply “freezes” forever - the only way to fix it is to hard reset my computer - there is no 5-10 second freeze and then playable. As others have said it seems like switching from directx 12 to directx 11 legacy is a workaround but it lowers my fps by 20-30 frames and especially during raid content the game becomes almost unplayable. We should just be able to use directx 12 which is so smooth and beautiful yet so deadly because at any moment it can crash our computers. So frustrating.

2 Likes

So this was August, issue started beginning of 8.3 - now we’re finally into a delayed launch of Shadowlands and the issue persists. Any news?

2 Likes