Raider IO 101

For those wanting a more comprehensive guide to raider io:

The add-on provides VARIOUS metrics that are centered around experience. This does not necessarily tie with skill - parses do a better job of doing that - due to the fact that people can purchase carries.

So what experience does the addon provide about your character?

1 - It provides a boss completion for the current AND previous raid; along with the corresponding difficulty. Experience across multiple tiers.

2 - It provides a score for your M+ experience; approximately 10 * the level of key you’ve completed on time, and then summed up across all dungeons; so if you’ve timed a +10 key in all 10 dungeons, you’ll have roughly a 1000 score. You’ll get docked 10-20 points per dungeon when you fail to time it, and get a marginally better score when you beat the time by a decent amount.

3 - It provides all of this same information for your Main - should you choose to enable that functionality. So if you’re 5/8M with a 1.5k score on your main - and you roll over to you alt, a raid/party lead will be able to see your experience on the alt AND you main.

4 - It provides your best timed run.

5 - It provides the number of timed 5-9, 10-14, and 15+ keys. So you can tell if someone is consistent with timing keys, or if they are just starting to time them.

6 - Raider IO works BOTH ways! Yes - not only does it share information about your character to the groups you queue for, but you can ALSO see that same information for the leaders of those groups. So if you see a leader that/s 7/8N running a heroic raid- there’s a decent chance they’re just trying to get carried. Same with someone that has a 10+ key that has a score under a couple hundred. They could also be on an alt without the “main connection” functionality turned on.

So yeah - LOT’s of valuable information.

Is any ONE piece a direct indicator of how good of a player you are? Nope. But combined - they give you a much better picture of the kind of player you’re dealing with.

Logs always help as a tandem metric.

I highly recommend it if you pug a lot. It’ll help you make better (not perfect) decisions when inviting people; and can even help you avoid joining groups that are being led by knuckleheads looking for a quick carry.

19 Likes

I wouldn’t.

I’d highly recommend players build a stronger community within the game and try to help lesser skilled players out and bring them to their full potential. Lets be honest, the WoW player-base isn’t as large as it once was. The elitist crowd isn’t nearly as large as it once was either. Our best bet is to try and be as positive as we can and help our fellow players out. Stop with the elitist attitudes and try to lend a helping hand.

35 Likes

lol
/10char

8 Likes

Feel like this and damage/healing/tanking metrics should be built into the game

6 Likes

No, god no. We have enough players who are ready to boot players from trivial content over nonsense like this. If anything Blizzard needs to remove the ability to see DPS and HPS and have a participation metric.

14 Likes

Post dungeon run metrics then?
Postgame screen in LoL can be illuminating. Not sure why Blizz hasn’t put it in
Don’t we sorta have a death recap that normally highlights nothing?

I agree with you. I’d also like this metric system to include death counts and what caused the death.

I think that it would help the player base as a whole improve. WoW has always had some add-on based metric like gearscore, IO score, etc. It’s about time Blizz just adds this into the game.

I want to just clarify that I’m not some CE elitist raider. I think that this kind of built-in system would allow players of all skill levels improve.

1 Like

The problem with Raider IO is that for the most part, it works. It’s not perfect and is occasionally wildly not indicative of the player, but overall it works. Even if you don’t like it, download it and join a bunch 3-9’s keys. You’ll see which leaders are also using it and which leaders are just letting anyone in. Take note of which runs do better.

And if you use it in an ideal way, that is to find a group that is at the same level of experience as yourself it usually ends up giving you a decent run.

And if you were to take it away pug’ing just wouldn’t happen as much. People would just put a lot more effort into establishing networks of trusted players to run stuff with. Most likely, with out IO pug’ing would become harder because there wouldn’t be a way to demonstrate experience. It’s not an elitist thing in a “oh look me I’m so much better than you” it’s just that if you don’t know what you’re doing you’re going to destroy a run.

So if you think if it wasn’t for raider IO you could get your weekly 10, that’s probably not the case. Download the mod, learn how the system works and start running keys with people in your experience range. Build up your score and experience and try to get a core group together while learning the instances and affixes.

3 Likes

Yea, I can’t see a single “elitist” thing about the OP’s post. Feel like people just like to throw around that “insult” whenever raiderIO is brought up.
And why the hate against metrics? That’s how you analyze and become better. Obscuring information does nothing but hurt people in the long run.

15 Likes

Sorry, but you shouldn’t rely on other people in-game to understand your class’ potential. Do research yourself if you feel like you lack the criteria to progress in any M+ environment, there’s plenty of resources available for newer players.

Tl;dr No one’s gonna hold your hand and knock out +15s each week.

4 Likes

Op forgot the most important part: Only bad players complain about RaiderIO.

20 Likes

I feel like some think of it as the classic catch-22. You need a job to get experience… yet you cannot get a job because you have no experience.

6 Likes

Except you can also hire yourself in WoW.

4 Likes

I made an IO account just to set all my toons to private. And whilst you can still lookup the info, no one ever bothers with that in-game.
/Flame on

2 Likes

No, OP. People have shown they can’t be trusted with information like this, they don’t use it as a tool, they use it as end all.

So the only thing to do with one who misuses a toy is to take it away.

Imagine if someone you dated has a full history of all your exes, all your mistakes with them, despite you growing since then.

Point is if you don’t know each other, most of the damn time someone is going to judge and dismiss you at face value.

6 Likes

That’s a good way not to get invited to anything. Players would invite a low score before a hidden score.

2 Likes

Yes but you might be mistaking me for someone who cares about m+. As for raiding, I never have issues getting in. But I don’t heroic raid.

Then why go through the trouble to hide it if you don’t care?

1 Like

I dont have a problem with that at all. Maybe someone is the best player ever but I dismiss them because they have hidden their io. Doesnt matter. my loss but im fine with that. its nothing compared to the good it does

Cause I know it triggers soooooo many people. I’m a naughty gnome :smiling_imp:

4 Likes