Raid cinematic is out

This is Sylvanas and Blizzard we’re talking about.

She won’t die here.

I try to give everyone a bit of benefit of the doubt, even some of these Blizzard writers. I know when creating a story or narrative that it can take different acts to complete a whole story, or even a piece of a story, that waiting for twists and turns can be fun, but also excruciating, different things do or dont work depending on the medium, that it might suck in the short term for a long term pay off. I get all that.

But this pile of :poop: story is really breaking me at this point. I could get it if this was a pretty clear, or alluded to, story line that would end here, or everyone has always been wary of Sylvanas in a way that they kept ambassadors around to spy, or never even took away the Kor’kron guards from Undercity, have Horde and Alliance members come up after a Forsaken campaign and comment on how wanton the destruction was, how unnecessarily heinous their tactics were, severely restricting the Forsaken after, the list can go on, but its clearly been two different stories they’ve wanted to tell about Sylvanas and they’ve gone so far to retroactively correct the story into what it is now, its just doing far more harm then good. Either that or they think they’ve been so clever over the past 10 years to make us think B when they’re really going for A. In which case, they’re completely delusional.

I would be completely unsurprised if they pulled a Afrasiabi like interview down the road where someone goes “that story line, that cincematic, that X, was me.” Where someone gave us that amazingly hopeful cinematic of Sylvanas in the BFA intro and go “Yeah, that was me. I created that in a communication error and the writing team took a different direction” or something, just further highlighting the absolute disconnect between various writers, developers, and so on.

5 Likes

Oh def…ranger general my brown donkey

More like nepotism general, cuz ain’t no way in hell that she got that position out of her intelligence or skills

3 Likes

They already did that. Metzen said in an interview that the BFA cinematic was his work, and he’d never been told that the Horde was responsible for Teldrassil or anything else.

3 Likes

Not him tho

ahaha not sure if it was worth having to go through insufferable nelf and mhp whining for the last 4 years but ill take it

2 Likes

Pretty much this. They basically rerolled her character.

I’m genuinely not computing how anyone could be satisfied by this. People are saying Sylvanas didn’t die- but, she kinda did. Insofar as the character from WC3 is gone now.

6 Likes

I’ll be honest. I was never a huge Sylvanas fan to begin with, so I was never really super invested in her as a character.

I am sorry that people more invested in Banshee Queen Sylvanas aren’t seeing some kind of proper resolution for her arc- whether it’s a dramatic betrayal resulting in her death, an epic defeat and last words at the hands of Tyrande, or something else.

All in all, this whole reunification of her “good” soul with her “bad” soul came off as rather anti-climactic given all the trauma and twists and drama it took to get us here.

But I do genuinely find the idea of how we move on when dealing with people who have legitimately changed (whether through time or narrative McGuffins) legitimately interesting. I mentioned before that Final Fantasy XIV explored this concept in a story as well, and I enjoyed it then as well.

7 Likes

Yeah but she changes because the Blue Fairy made her a real boy.

It’s not like she learned a lesson or saw the error of her ways. Just woosh you’re a good person now.

People are paid to write this. Somehow.

6 Likes

I’ve got nothing against any poster here personally, but I’m getting a bit of satisfaction out of the same people who have voraciously defended Jaina’s crimes getting swept under the rug being angry about Sylvanas getting the same damn treatment.

4 Likes

They’re not.

Human fans continue to be well out of the blast radius, unless we’re about to seriously argue that losing Anduin is a bad thing.

I’d bet good money on Anduin surviving the expansion, likely with expanded powers.

1 Like

I probably would too - just before he lectures Sylvanas and completes her redemption.

2 Likes

And we all know the Windrunner sisters have a thing for human men. And Anduin’s single and Nathanos is presumed super-dead…

I think we all know where this is headed.

“It’s like I tried to tell you, Sylvanas. You just needed to have faith in the hope.”

“I was wrong, Anduin. Now I see. Hope is what brings us together. Show me your hope.”

“There are kids watching this, Sylvanas.”

10 Likes

It’s not just that this story is terrible. It’s predictably terrible.

3 Likes

Late to this party, but this statement is unbelievably sheltered and the entire argument has my blood boiling. Harassment at such a provocative level cannot be ignored. If someone says “I’m going to murder you for writing my favorite character like ‘x’,” that’s not something any rational person, especially for someone as relatively resource poor as a video game author, can afford to ignore in comfort.

Likewise, harassment for developers and content creators often extends beyond the realm of social media. Writers get these death threats mailed to them at the office and at their homes. They get in person appearances by strangers they’ve never met before demanding answers under threat of dire consequences. They have their personal information distributed online. Situations arise with alarming frequency where the spouses, children and friends of these creators get caught up in the maelstrom. Their personal lives can sometimes be deeply affected, as evidence by the recent mob spurred against one of the company’s product managers; his personal information was doxxed, his financial accounts were tampered with, and the threats of violence were extended to his wife and children.

It is incredibly self-centered to say that the people who are literally just making a video game should simply ignore real life threats and harassment against them and should instead focus on what is important to you in the abstract realm of fiction. Anyone who believes that has their priorities incredibly misaligned.

Your desire for the writers to be more conscious of their product and the message it sends is absolutely valid, make no mistake. It does not, however, have the right to supersede the grievances of victims, to dismiss them as illegitimate or intangible or to characterize the unwarranted, absurd amount of danger that [redacted] fantasy authors experience as unworthy of attention.

17 Likes

Well I have to admit, I didn’t see it coming when the cutscene had the jailer force Sylvanas’s fragment into her specifically to torture her. It’s like cursing a psychopath with empathy.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting death threats and even stalkers that required police involvement because of the internet since I was like 13 and after almost 14 years I can confidently determine what is a legitimate threat against my person and what is some loser troll on the internet mad about a take with no life.

This is concern trolling.

They messed up a genocide storyline while messing up a Survivor Becomes Abusers storyline.

4 Likes

At least the sylvanas is dumb storyline is going strong

2 Likes